Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help me stop eating flies…
  • oceanskipper

It’s coming round to that time of year again when I end up eating more than my fair share of flies and midges whilst out cycling. I breathe a lot with my mouth open and they just zoom in!

What does anyone else do to combat this? Anything? Nothing – just think of all the additional protein and get on with it?

I’m thinking some sort of neck gaiter that I can pull up over my mouth but I do not want to end up getting too hot and I could do with something that didn’t mean my glasses just get steamed up.

Any ideas?

Ta.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A pair of tights over the front of your face? Obvs not a good idea to forget it’s there and to drop by your nearest bank mid-ride.

defblade
    Free Member

Every year I start to invent a thing, probably made of sculpting wire so it holds its shape, that hooks onto the Y splitter of your helmet strap each side, and maybe runs underneath to the clip area to steady it. It would hold a piece of fine mesh (metal, nylon, who knows?) in front of your mouth (but clear of it, not sealed or anything) to keep the buggers out.
    I usually invent it just after another one of the little buggy b’astards has managed to land on my tonsil and make me retch.
    I forget by the time I get home…

temudgin

sirromj

Maybe try only opening your mouth to breath out?

wheelsonfire1

Breathe through your nose, or, buy a tandem and ride reverse stoker?

sirromj

Lay off the cake while riding?

honourablegeorge

Swallowed a massive one on Sunday on a downhill, nearly choked on it, couldnt get it out of my throat, newrly crashed twice.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just ride harder, that will burn off the extra fly-calories

wheelsonfire1

@honourablegeorge What are you doing riding downhill with your mouth open? Think of the extra aero speed gains from keeping it shut! Problem solved?

oceanskipper

Best I can come up with is tights over the mouth. I can’t get enough oxygen using nose only (probably something to do with the fact that I smashed it up playing cricket when I was about 15.). Had a wasp in the helmet last year and really don’t fancy chewing one of those however proteiny they are.

Might have to experiment – clearly there isn’t something ready made that isn’t just a face mask.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

fossy

Just accept it. I can’t breath through my nse on the bike either. Don’t open your mouth too wide ? It’s the big ones you need to swish down with a drink. don’t crunch, they taste terrible, really acidy ! 🙂

beaker

Just remember, flies love two things, dead bodies and s**t! I don’t think there is much you can do sadly.

james-rennie

Water treatment works at Mogden (twickenham) and Hampton. In the summer the air can be thick with flies, the road past Hampton water treatment is popular with roadies heading out, getting mouths and eyes full of beasties. Gakk…

slowol

You just need to embrace the style of our horse riding friends…

" alt="horse rider with veil" />

andrewh
    Free Member

don’t crunch, they taste terrible, really acidy

I had one once which tasted of aniseed. I can’t stand aniseed. Still better than the wriggly daddy-longlegs though, they tickle your tonsils!

gecko76

Snorkel?

oceanskipper

Snorkel is the best idea so far! 😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just order something else off the menu…

Perhaps sir would prefer the flicked dog turd?

StuF

Full face helmet?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the first step is admitting you have a problem, so well done.

northernsoul

Maybe you’re coming at this from the wrong direction… 😉

Cycling backwards

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help me stop eating flies…’ is closed to new replies.