Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help me find a cheap single speed road bike please
  • lunge

Morning all,

I’m after a cheap single speed bike and I’m struggling to find what I want off the peg. The requirements, I don’t think, are not too difficult but I can’t find anything that fits so far.

Anyway, what I want is:
    Flip-flop rear wheel/hub
    Drop bars
    2 brakes
    Proper road style brake levers as opposed to the CX chicken levers
    Under £400, ideally.

Merlin used to do something that would work and the On-One Macchiato would have worked back in the day, sadly neither are still available. Any ideas?

amedias
    Free Member

Langster used to be £450 but has gone up a bit now, but ticks all your boxes.

I’m sure there are similar things from other manufacturers, I may be back in a mo with links…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Pretty sure Brant Richards is churning out cheap ones over on Mango Bikes?

Cheap n Cheerful

amedias
    Free Member

Fuji Feather and just put normal levers on for < £20
    Genesis Flyer is a bit over budget but all your needs covered, find a deal?
    Charge Plug, same as a above…or go for model with flat bars (cheaper) and swap bars/levers and be within budget

In fact, if you’re prepared to spend £10-15 on some bars and another £10-15 on levers you could take one of the many cheaper alternatives that are about and get exactly what you want.

ella
    Free Member

Second hand Genesis Day One/Flyer or a Spesh Singlecross? Have you looked at what’s up on LFGSS?

(Coincidently, got someone test riding my Singlecross at lunchtime.)

will
    Free Member
    lunge

I guess I’m being picky, but…
    Mango – Cheap hi-ten steel but the premium model looks possible if they’ll fit proper bars
    Fuji – But to hipster, plus to change the brakes means new levers, likely new cable inners, possible new cable outers and probably new tape too. Plus it uses a threaded headset…
    Charge – Not sure about, not sure why.

Maybe a Pompino is the answer though I’ll have to spend an extra £100.

will
    Free Member

My girlfriend has the Charge, but in drop bars. It’s not light, but for the money is a superb bit of kit.

Your other option of course is a second hand old racer.

brooess
    Free Member

The Genesis Flyer is reckoned to be a good quality frame. Maybe 2nd hand if your budget is strict?

amedias
    Free Member

I guess I’m being picky

yes, your OP didn’t say “oh and also not brands I don’t like for reasons I can’t explain” 😉

plus to change the brakes means new levers, likely new cable inners, possible new cable outers and probably new tape too

Yes, but all very cheap and easy to do, and if it helps you find a bike you want it’s worth not writing something off just because it has the wrong bars.

2nd hand would give you loads of options but I guess you’re after new?

lunge

2nd hand would give you loads of options but I guess you’re after new?

I’d look at 2nd hand if it was right, no question at all.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Kona Paddywagon. Usually there are a few available second hand which would meet your budget. I actually bought mine a few years back brand new for just over £300, it was a previous years model.

ssboggy

What size? I’ve got a used Langster 52cm that’s too small for me & meets all your requirements, especially the under £400 bit

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Shameless plug….my Trek 4th District is for sale…Trek District

kerley
    Free Member

I would go for a Charge Plug 1. Has brakes, drops etc, but is more importantly going to be good for light off road too.

And it comes in pink.

hopster
    Free Member

@lunge. What size frame are you looking for?

lunge

Thanks for all the replies. Frame size would need to be an XL or around a 60cm frame due my 6’4″ mainly leg based body.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Shame. I’m have a VGC Genesis Day One Cross in my garage, which meets all those criteria, but it’s 54cm.

plus-one

Old frame-paint job-few parts with patina-odd wheels = fun to build and way cooler than otp 8)

Around £400 from memory

https://flic.kr/s/aHskn6zn6f

helpful1
    Free Member

lunge.

a mate has the perfect bike for you.

Shall I Email you?

racefaceec90
    andymac
    Free Member

Boardman Comp SC, secondhand?

There is one on eBay for £235. I have one and it’s very light. Great advantage is that there is no temptation to upgrade.

TiRed

Definitely second a Kona Paddy Wagon. Much more than the sum of its parts. Mine has been hugely upgraded, but it is a nice steel frame with good road bike geometry. I prefer it to Teen1’s langster which I picked up used for £120.

Charge bikes are very heavy by comparison.

epicyclo

lunge – Member
    …Fuji – But to hipster, plus to change the brakes means new levers, likely new cable inners, possible new cable outers and probably new tape too. Plus it uses a threaded headset…

If you can find a Fuji Track then you have a really good bike made with good grade butted steel by one of oldest bike companies in the world. (They actually make their own bikes, not slap stickers on, and that’s why the price is good)

It’s worth the effort of putting brakes on.

I’ve had one for about 10 years, and it rides as sweetly as a top quality British bike of the classic era.

Failing that, my money would go an a Genesis.

pictonroad

I had a flyer, loved it until it got pinched, if you can find one I highly recommend it.

emac65
    Free Member

Just bought a used Paddy Wagon – great bike !

This looks nice & is well within budget,would be cheap to change the bars & brakes HERE

vetnewton

I have an all-city nature boy singlespeed cycyclocross… 61cm frame (xl) that would be about right for you mate…
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-City-Nature-Boy-61cm-Singlespeed-Fixie-Cyclocross-Road-Bike-Halo-Wheels-/201454292215?nav=SEARCH

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a cheap single speed road bike please’ is closed to new replies.