Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Help, I’m in Swindon
  • stwhannah

Well, I’m not yet, but I will be. Does anyone actually live there or is the whole place a myth, along with the trails behind the Nationwide?

weeksy

417 Flyup ain’t far..

Apart from that, you can come over for dinner if you want… we’re 25 mins away 🙂

IHN

It’s real, I’ve been there. And I’ve ridden The Trails.

Or have I……

molgrips
    Free Member

Swindon is great. There is masses of top draw scenic off-road riding to the south, it’s absolutely wonderful although not technical. Sadly unrideable in winter, but there’s just as much road riding that’s nearly as good.

IHN

^ he’s right, you know. And I’d even say that the road riding is better than ‘nearly as good’, it’s excellent.

impatientbull

I’ve you’re happy to drive to ride then you’ve also got the trails at Badbury Clumps near Faringdon about 30 minutes away. Short but fun jumpy DH lines. For ‘proper’ riding I’d head to South Wales. Risca is about an hour and 15 minutes along the motorway.

stwhannah

I’d even say that the road riding is better than ‘nearly as good’, it’s excellent.

I find this even harder to believe than there being great mountain biking. At this point, it’s sounding like Morzine: apparently fantastic, but no one that actually lives there.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nobody is asking the big question. Why the heck are you in Swindon?

soundninjauk

Yeah my initial reaction is ‘…on purpose?’

IHN

I find this even harder to believe than there being great mountain biking.

O ye of little faith. It’s true – ride out North and you’re pretty much straight into the Cotswolds; miles and miles of lovely little country lanes, villages and pubs. Ride out South and you’re straight onto the Wiltshire Downs; miles and miles of little country lanes, villages and pubs, with added white horses carved into the hills and prehistoric stone circles for good measure.

but no one that actually lives there

Oh god no, you don’t want to live there. Around it is nice.

Daffy

I go to extreme lengths to ride around it rather than through it.

Harry_the_Spider

My Grandfather said that he missed Swindon, but he was in the Luftwaffe, so this is probably a good thing.

csb

Get thee out to Uffington for a road pootle round the weird landscape of the white horse.

stwhannah

I’m not in Swindon, but am planning on being later this year, and wanted to find someone/people who actually live there to see if they might show me a good time/some trails.

IHN

to see if they might show me a good time

*insert coffee spitting gif here*

desperatebicycle

IHN – see Jermaine Stewart’s only hit 🙂

winerwalker

Two very active MTB clubs in Swindon. MT Swindon and the Croft (look after the XC course near Nationwide) and Swindon MTB Enthusiasts. Loads of great riding to the south, up on the Ridgeway, hill forts, etc. Year round riding if a little sloppy. I belong to this one and I’m not even local: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SMTBE

kayak23

The trails aren’t simply BEHIND the Nationwide. You still have to go through the wardrobe.

IHN

Ah, I see, she wants to dance and party all night, and drink some cherry wine. Gotcha.

But seriously …

I worked in Swindon for years, and still have a base there I go to regularly (it’s a building society, have a guess). It’s like all towns of that size/history/demography. In fact, seeing as it’s near where I’m living now, it’s very like Stockport. The central 60s/70s shopping parade bit is on its arse, but you don’t need to go there, and there are some (in fact, really quite a few) nice bars, restaurants and pubs if you know where to look. Swindon’s also lucky to have a decent theatre and arts venue, so plays/gigs/comedy are there if you want them.

Riding wise, road pretty much from the door is excellent, same for gravel type stuff.

Roughty-tufty MTB from the door is non-existent (the Croft trail in the woods near Nationwide is great for what it is, I’m not knocking it, but it’s an hour’s blast to do something if you’re local, it’s not a ‘destination’). There’s good stuff up at Leckhampton/Birdlip/Cranham/Flyup417, they’re about 45 mins away, or it’s off up the M4 to Wales, or the FoD is about an hour away too.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find this even harder to believe than there being great mountain biking. At this point, it’s sounding like Morzine: apparently fantastic, but no one that actually lives there.

The town is crap, but as we all know the quality of a town is not related to the quality of its riding. We are very much talking gravel style here, mind.

I’m an hour away I’d show you one of my rides if you like. I worked there for 4 months and was out nearly every night.

roger_mellie

There is masses of top draw scenic off-road riding to the south, it’s absolutely wonderful although not technical.

This is correct. Head for Barbury Castle or the Marlborough Downs (between Marlborough and Avebury). I lurk on Swindon MTB facebook group who might give you some inspiration. Or I’d be happy to share some routes, but they’re mainly south of the A4.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Nobody is asking the big question. Why the heck are you in Swindon?

Well the only good reason to go to Swindon is you can’t leave Swindon until you’re there.

I seem to recall from my teenage years the consensus was that the only good thing about Swindon was Melinda Messenger and I’m assuming she doesn’t live there any more.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I lived near Marborough for 7 years (hence the username). There is great, but not scary technical, MTBing all over the North Wessex Downs and also in the combes south of Hungerford. Unfortunately the clay and chalk make the trails unridable in winter but as previous posters have pointed out the road riding is great. Swindon is an ugly sprawl except for round the Old Town which is quite nice. I found Swindonians quite down to earth and friendly compared to the rest of Wiltshire which can be quite up itself. For some reason the Swindonians don’t venture out of Swindon so you’ll find the countryside around mostly empty. If looking for a place to live in Swidon don’t go near any district that ends in hill like Penhill or Toothill 😉

argee

Swindon has all you’ll ever need, it has some fields you can cycle around, the magic roundabout you can use as a track circuit and no matter how long you drive in one direction you’ll end up back in the same place in 30 minutes 😂

sam-neill-mouth-of-madness

MoreCashThanDash

A mate lives nearby and I think was involved in the famous trails. I suspect he will see this shortly.

molgrips
    Free Member

it has some fields you can cycle around

That’s not what it’s like at all.

slowoldman

In fact, seeing as it’s near where I’m living now, it’s very like Stockport.

Oh God, that bad?

dudeofdoom

The magic roundabout is definitely an odd beast.

I know someone who lives there and he seems to be complaining a lot about the housing developments but the lack of services and the continual roadworks.

There is is a discount outlet and some choo choos and Dick Lovett :-), last time I was there I’d been oddly kidnapped by the train on my way to bath from Bristol and ended up with a free taxi ride from Swindon to Bath.

alwillis

We used to live in SN2 (had a view of the outlet centre from the kitchen window) and moved out 5 years ago this week.

Depending what you are after there are some decent shops, pubs, eateries etc, as well as plenty of cyclists of all persuasions in the area. Road and gravel best catered for, and summer much better than winter (as for most of the UK I guess).

beaker

If you find Swindon isn’t to your liking come an hour down the road to Warminster. We have Windhill Bike Park and some good riding in the woods over the road from the park.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I know someone who lives there anywhere and he seems to be complaining a lot about the housing developments but the lack of services and the continual roadworks.

Ftfy

qwerty
    Free Member

The best thing to do if you find yourself in Swindon is to drive north for 15 miles, turn left and drive for another 10 miles until you arrive in Stroud. It’s much nicer.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My Grandfather said that he missed Swindon, but he was in the Luftwaffe, so this is probably a good thing.

I disagree

robertajobb

Swindon ? My sincerest condolences.

My wife got out of there more than half a lifetime ago, whilst she could (and before she got stuck with the hideous accent).

PLEASE LEAVE NOW BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE FOR YOU.

… AND STAY ON THE PATH.

CountZero

Help, I’m in Swindon

#prayforstwhannah

Firstly, ignore the modern eyesore that most people think of as Swindon. Old Town is far and away the best part of the town. From there you can both see and access the downland that gives you Marlborough, Avebury, Barbury Castle, The Ridgeway which will take you down to Avebury, West Woods, Devizes and the Kennet & Avon Canal, which in turn will get you to Bath and Bristol to the West, and the Thames and London to the East. The Ridgeway will also get you up to Uffington White Horse, an extraordinary Neolithic chalk hill figure, and ultimately up to Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire.

It may not be ‘mountain’ biking, but the huge views and open skies make up for it, and it’s not too difficult to rack up good mileages. Get yourself a set of good OS maps of the area, and really study all the byways, BOAT’s and RUPP’s that cover the area. There’s lots of good country pubs around, as well as lots of good breweries, like Ramsbury Brewery, and stacks of others.

Welcome to Wiltshire, we’re glad to have you!

TiRed

Just go shopping at the outlet centre# like everyone else lane does. And the Steam Museum. There’s a good climbing wall too at the leisure centre. We had a birthday party for Son2 there. Then leave.

#I am old enough and geeky trainspotter enough to remember Swindon Open Days. Nobody ever said “one day all this will be shops” as I climbed over the Class 33’s.

reeksy

I remember the Steam Museum from the late 80s when visiting family. My mum’s dad’s family were Swindonians/Swindonites.

I think there was/is a pub called the Glue Pot in the town centre.

jkomo

Avebury needs a visit, and the Ridgeway is a great ride as said for a cross country nice to be outside to see the views sort of vibe.

IHN

Hannah – Listen to CountZero, uponthedowns and Molgrips, ignore the others.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The magic roundabout is definitely an odd beast.

I used to drive round it anticlockwise just for the hell of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.