Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! Alfine 8 slipping in all gears
  • shermer75
    Free Member

So my Alfine 8 is slipping in all gears, but most excessively in the lower gears- the lower the gear, the less force on the pedals needed before it slips. It’s noisy as well, sounds like the teeth in the cogs are clattering over each other. I’ve just opened it up, it looked really good! Plenty of clean looking grease still there, couldn’t see any evidence of water ingress. Help!!!

spooky_b329

Done all the yellow dot alignment stuff for the cable tension? Guessing you have if you’ve taken the plunge and opened it 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

Is the lockring thing locked properly?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes and, I’m afraid, yes 🙁 A real mystery this one so far! I did change the chain since it was last working fine, but I can’t see how that can make a difference!

scotroutes

Are you sure it’s slipping in the Alfine and it’s not just a worn cog?

A bit of a reach, but it’s a new chain…..

shermer75
    Free Member

I have just ridden it around the block wth the cable disconnected entirely, so that it defaulted to it’s lowest gear, and it’s still slipping just as much. Hmmmm…

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmmm, could be, all the sprocket teeth look pretty good though..

simondbarnes

It sounds like the chain / cog / chainring worn. Have you measured the chain wear? How old is it all?

I’ll read the thread properly now…

Sounds like worn cog and maybe chainring not meshing with the new chain.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had this a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a snapped side plate on the chain. I only noticed when cleaning the chain and catching my finger on the sharp sticking out bit. I was preparing for a full strip down and service. A new chain and it’s working perfectly despite being used for commuting in all weathers for the last 4 years and never being serviced or touched. Really must do it soon soon though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Update: full props to scotroutes, this was the answer. The first clue was should have been that it worked fine with a worn chain, I suppose. Curse my rheumy eyes for not being able to identify a worn cog! Anyway, new sprocket on, working fine again phew!

scotroutes

Whoop!

Just read this. Glad you got it all sorted. I’ve been having some issues with my Alfine-11 since I rode it on the beach last week but I reckon it’s all down to a gritty cable which I’m about to see to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! Alfine 8 slipping in all gears’ is closed to new replies.