Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • helmets are rubbish!
  • GW
    Free Member

I often don't bother wearing one at all, on Sunday four of us were out for a XC/trail centre ride and me and one mate swithered over wearing helmets or not, in the end we did as all being DHers we tend to race/push each other down anything fun/interesting.
    During the ride we all crashed at least once on but none of us hit our heads, my crash was later on in the day and a beauty.. hit a compression that caused my sweaty (un gloved) hands to almost leave the bars but managed to save it just before the approaching corner, not wanting to be caught by my chasing mates I put down the power after the corner only to find I had no chain (hadn't realised I'd hit the shifter when my hand slipped) anyway, next thing I know I'm flying over the bars straight onto the edge of a wooden bridge, smacked my chin and jaw pretty hard along with taking the bridge on with my chest, hip, knee and wrist. I got up to find the bike hanging upside down in a nearby tree dusted myself off and we set off again.. crashes like these are a pretty common occurence to be honest so didn't think too much of it but for the rest of the ride I had a bastard headache.. thinking it was just down to dehydration at the time I had a decent drink at the end of the ride and we all headed off for a pump track ride on the way home. after getting home the next 24 or so hours have been hazy and my memory has been ****! eg. I've just had to cancel my cash card as I can't remember where I left it before I went riding. My Girlfriend suggested I had probably got concussion, and having had it many times I think I agree with her. anyway, turns out I needn't have bothered with the helmet .

how much do the experts think the rotational force of my 400g XC lid exaggerated my concussion? 😉

appologies for poor spelling/grammer/rambling

jedi

next to the rows of helmets in bikeshops they have rows of spare heads 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Straw with that sir

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had a crash the other day and banged up everything except my knees…

…knee pads are rubbish
    🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its the helmet catching on the ground and causing the head to rotate that creates the forces. Head rotates but brain stays still inside Concussion is a sign of rotational injury ( but not conclusive) Weight worsens whiplash type neck injuries.

Shall we say experts are divided as to how significant this is. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

TJ – you tool!! 😆

Jedi – Aye, think I saw them in a shop in Somerset, quite fancy a Brad Pitt model but all they had was Worzel Gummage 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh – and you are right GW – I only ever have hit my head crashing when wearing a helmet – never when not wearing one. Therefore helmets make you crash and hit your head Fact!

Andituk
    Free Member

how much do the experts think the rotational force of my 400g XC lid exaggerated my concussion?

Not as much as the sudden decleration of your head when you hit the bridge.

Bridges are rubbish!

jam-bo

I've hit my head not wearing a helmet. 30mph onto Tarmac. Ruptured inner ear, severe concussion, lost memory of two days of my life, balance still isn't as good as it should be.

DezB
    Free Member

Biggest danger I find when not wearing a helmet (dog walking rides) is hitting my head on branches. Don't notice this when properly protected; actively seek things to nutt. 🙂

ollie
    Free Member

sweaty un gloved hands were to blame here If I'm not mistaken.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've hit my head not wearing a helmet. 30mph onto Tarmac. Ruptured inner ear, severe concussion, lost memory of two days of my life, balance still isn't as good as it should be.

Ouch. Nasty.
    Well, at least you didn't have quite so much rotational injury to your head 😐

mangatank
    Free Member

For a balanced control outcome, can you please ride the course again for a week, but this time WITHOUT a helmet? Fanx

😉

traildog
    Free Member

I had a crash with a helmet on and I actually think the results were worse than not wearing one. However, I am not prepared to repeat the crash without a helmet to prove it.

I remain totally unconvinced by helmet effectiveness but wear one anyway for fear of being wrong.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was dropped on my head when I was small. No helmet and I am fine!

jam-bo

yep. apparently you get seen quick in A+E when you walk in with blood coming out of one ear…

downhill skateboarding is dangerous kids.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I've crashed at least twice where I've hit the side of my head and cracked the helmet. Once was on the road. Don't ask me to prove it, but I'm confident I wouldn't have got up and finished my ride without the helmet doing its bit.

Harry_the_Spider

I sparked myself out many many years ago whilst not wearing a helmet. I only went for a 10 minute spin in the park because the mate who I was supposed to be playing golf with was late.

Parks are rubbish and so is golf.

mikey74
    Free Member

I love the obvious irony of that statement.

mangatank
    Free Member

Hmmm…Yes, the voice of the Al Qaeda of helmet non-conformity there…

😉

GW
    Free Member

ollie – Member
    sweaty un gloved hands were to blame here If I'm not mistaken.

if we're passing blame (which we're not) it was a combination of bad trail maintenance/over sanitasation 😉 combined with poor line choice.
    "Breaking bumps hurt my kid" an all that 😉

Drac

I rest my case m'lawd.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The latter part of that statement is a conjecture and a matter of opinion FACT 😉

vinnyeh

My bike landed on my head on Sunday. Kinda thankful I was wearing a helmet.

GW
    Free Member

****!! – that dude's hit his head so hard his hair fell out ^^ 😯

mangatank
    Free Member

To be fair, TJ is fundamentally right: Helmets don't stop concussion-type injuries. They just provide a certain level of protection.

If I faceplanted on a plank bridge, I'd expect to be staggering around for 10 minutes as if drunk, but as a helmet wearer, I'd be glad that I wasn't also blinded by blood from a deep gash in my forehead, and I'd also be delighted that there wasn't an egg sized lump swelling up.

I'd find comfort in that at least…

foxyrider
    Free Member

They are awful if you want to sieve some vegetables or salad leaves 🙁

jedi

Lol@gw. – already got the worzel head. 🙂

kimbers

have gone otb 3 times and landed on the top of my head
    twice shattered my helmet, once was a significant fall from some north shore- i also managed to break both thumbs on that one

for those types of crashes, which i seem to be good at im convinced my helmet stopped the top of my head from getting all caved in and mushy/goey/brainy mashed up

miketually
    Free Member

I've never battered my head while riding my bike, wearing a helmet or not.

I did properly bash it on the inside of a van when moving house. Transits are rubbish.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I hate to think what damage I would have done to my bonce at Newcastleton on Saturday if I had been lidless. I think OP must have had quite a few falls without helmet to help him form his considered opinion.

miketually
    Free Member

I hate to think what damage I would have done to my bonce at Newcastleton on Saturday if I had been lidless.

Would you have ridden more slowly and carefully?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I once stood up under a shelf, shelves are rubbish.

GW
    Free Member

SteveBbrain – considered opinion? sounds like you may have had a frontal lobe hit or two yourself 😛

TeaBoyPaul

Never understood the 'not wearing a helmet' arguments. Its like saying I'm not going to use a seatbelt in the car because it might cut my stomach if I have a crash.

pitduck
    Free Member

(khani)"Straw with that sir" 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Never understood the 'not wearing a helmet' arguments. Its like saying I'm not going to use a seatbelt in the car because it might cut my stomach if I have a crash.

Or switching off the passenger seat airbag when there's a rear facing baby seat installed, because the airbag might kill the child?

Sometimes I don't wear a helmet when riding my bike, because the chances of falling off and hitting my head are low and I don't want helmet hair or the hassle of carrying/storing a helmet at my destination.

I never wear a helmet when going for a walk, because the chances of falling over and hitting my head are very low.

I've banged my head while walking down the stairs in my new house far more times in the last 11 months than I ever have while riding a bike.

GW
    Free Member

Or switching off the passenger seat airbag when there's a rear facing baby seat installed, because the airbag might kill the child?

not quite sure what your point is with this one but it's actually the law that stipulates rear facing child seats must not be installed in front seats with an airbag.

miketually
    Free Member

not quite sure what your point is with this one but it's actually the law that stipulates rear facing child seats must not be installed in front seats with an airbag.

We have to have a point now? 😉

Just giving an example of a safety feature not being used because of the increased risk of accident/injury. Other examples: not wearing a seatbelt while reversing; taxi drivers not wearing seatbelts.

In 33 years, I've needed a car seatbelt once and never needed a bike helmet.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

This forum never ceases to drain me . . . .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘helmets are rubbish!’ is closed to new replies.