Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Heartbreak ridge – Ballater
  • fergal
    Free Member

Has this been done on here,  i thought i  had died and gone to mtb heaven the other day, this trail has everything, singletrack, drops and slab features galore and it is 100% natural, the mind boggles could there be other trails like this lurking out there in the Scottish highlands, well i guess yes  there is, they just need keen locals to go and ride them, the guys in Ballater must have been blown away by this find, outstanding who ever it was, i owe you a beer.

notlocal
    Free Member

You owe James at cyclehighlands a beer.

user-removed
    Free Member

I was just looking at this the other day on Trailforks (I think) and mapping out a circular route – can you tell me where you started and finished?  It’s been on my hitlist since moving back up North in December last year!

notlocal
    Free Member

Use monkey balls on the trailforks map to climb, then join Heartbreak Ridge. You get spat out next to Glascorrie on the South Deeside Road. It’s left back to Ballater, but you’ll find a farm track on the right as you pedal along the road. It leads to the broken suspension bridge at Cambus o’May. Before the bridge, a footpath through the forest takes you back to Ballater. Ignore the gate that takes you through a field, and skirt the fence line instead. The end of the path rejoins the South Deeside Road about half a mile before Ballater.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah start in the center of Ballater, quite enjoyed monkey balls, not to steep.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That whole hillside is top. Steeps Into Ballater is a great half-hour blast, provided you can pedal up the brutal climb up to Craig Coilich. The descent off the front of Craig Coilich is also a laugh, and tough in the wet.

dskelly81
    Free Member

It’s a shame nobody has repaired the suspension footbridge following the flood damage a couple years back.  It used to allow for a nice loop from HBR into Burn o’ Vat / Cnoc Dubh & then back to ballater along the old railway line.

With the lack of trail centres around the NE of Scotland, there is some real natural trail gold if you know where to find it

roverpig

Never ridden the ridge. All the talk of drops, slabs and the black line on trailforks makes me think it’s probably not for me. But I love the Monkey Balls climb ! There is a nice little blue descent from the same start point for wusses like me too 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Brilliant – thanks for the info.  I couldn’t wait to move home to Aberdeen after 16 years in Sunderland but the bike’s barely been out of the shed since the move…  Must remedy that very soon!  Only really done stuff from my door on the west of the city, and often, it’s me on the unicycle and my five year old on his Frog – we do about the same speed 😀

dskelly81
    Free Member

Another option is to head West(ish) over the top of Cairn Leuchan.  Eventually you will find a descent back down to Glen Muick.

notlocal
    Free Member

Bloody hell user removed! If I’d known you were a sand dancer  I’d have kept schtum about the route

Only kidding , I’m northumbrian, and me mam told us to be nice to those less fortunate 😉😂😀

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Always thought that “sand dancers” came from South Shields rather than Mackemland.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Book marked. Thanks.

hopefiendboy

Bookmarked for future 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

Having missed out on the trip last year ..we are up there again next month from the 8th ( Ballater..cottage booked ) and HB ridge is on the agenda ..
    Having said last year that it was the one ride I really wanted to do while up there ..then having my mates say that it’s one of the best trails they have ridden ..I can’t wait..

GavinB

The final section has been diverted, I’m assuming in order to avoid conflict with the houses down the lane as you whizz down to the South Deeside Road. About 200m after the steep craggy section, just before you re-enter the woods there are little markers directing you off left to a c5-600m section of nice new singletrack which drops you directly onto the S Deeside Road. The work was publicised a couple of months ago by the local DMBiS folk.

enmac
    Free Member

Hodgynd, I think I offered to act as a guide last year, that offer still stands. You won’t need any help finding Heartbreak Ridge but some of the other stuff around would benefit from a guide. Let me know if you’re interested.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Enmac..many thanks for the kind offer ..and yes I do remember that you did ..
    If I could get back to you on this ..basically because the other three members of our group are heading up that way from Saturday 8th June ( Colin, Dave & Jean ) and are staying until the following Friday ..I’m only there from Monday 10th until leaving for home on Thursday 13th..so on those travelling days will only be looking for half day rides ..
    As things stand HB ridge has been planned for Tuesday 11th ..with everything else pretty much up in the air at the moment ( Jean mentioned that she would like to do some walking while up there too!).
    I also don’t want to step on Colin’s toes as he is a fairly frequent visitor to the area with his daughter being at Aberdeen Uni ..
    Other than that ..once again many thanks for the kind offer and if we can get together that would be good ..
    Thanks
    Neil

warrend
    Free Member

What’s HB ridge like in the wet? I was planning on heading up there this weekend, but the forecast doesn’t look too pleasant. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it….

ART

Yup it’s a goodie, up there in July last year not hint of moisture – dust!

poah
    Free Member

@hodgynd planning to do it at some point too.

RustyMac

@warrend
    From what i hear from the boss it is pretty darn wet in Aberdeen shire this weekend, your likely to have more fun when it is dry.

@GavinB

Diversion was dug in by the Aberdeenshire Trail Association after consultation with the land owner where a safety concern was raised. I’m told it flows really nicely now.

@hodgynd

Look at Mastermind over the other side of Ballater, down the road a little on the south deeside side of Aboyne you have Masterblaster and Friends Electric that are good too.

postierich
    Free Member

Looking forward to this trail heading up tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Heartbreak ridge – Ballater’ is closed to new replies.