Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Headset woes, help please
  • tomvet

My Whyte 901 circa 2012 developed a knock in the front end from the headset. I have removed the stem and forks and both cartridge bearings from the tapered headset, I was planning on ordering a new set of cartridge bearings to replace this set however am unsure what to order. The headset is the stock FSA orbit ZS (I presume this means zero stack), I am now thoroughly confused between integrated, aheadset, internal headset ect can anyone tell what sort I am running and if this impacts on what cartridge bearings I can use. Thanks in advance.

Note: I did take it to my LBS who confirmed it was the headset but declined to sort it out because “those monster MTB headsets are a pain”, so I think he must just have a roadie bias, hence having a go myself.

IA

You sure the headset didn’t just need tightening up? Bearings wearing causes it to be gritty to turn, not knocking.

Same as a road headset though, your LBS is crap! You get taper steerers on road bikes too. Did they check it was tight?

monkeyboyjc
    tomvet

No they didn’t check it was tight, but I have tightened it up myself and still had a small amount of play. I have the 1.5inch bearing out now and it is certainly rough and gritty feeling, it seems to have plastic shield rather than rubber seal, so I don’t think I can try re-greasing it. Thanks for the link above will have a look.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Headset woes, help please’ is closed to new replies.