• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Headset removal – what diy options?
  • rob2
    Free Member

Need to remove a set of headset cups. Don't have a proper tool, what diy options are there (don't really want to use a screwdriver) or should I spunk money on a proper tool?

Sorry if this has been done before!

nonk
    Free Member

have you got an old seatpost or something you can saw slots into to form a rocket tool?

letmetalktomark

Proper tool is fairly cheap.

LBS – Couple of quid and or some biscuits.

Old handlebar – best if its steel and mad by Peugeot. (my favoured option)

uplink
    Free Member

Piece of copper pipe used as a drift does the job a treat & doesn't mark anything

Coleman
    Free Member

Cut slots in a piece of 22mm copper pipe and flare the ends.

Edit – Oops too slow!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Blunt screwdriver and a hammer?

MS
    Free Member

I cut down a wooden brush shaft. Works a treat. Just bash each side evenlyish and it will pop out!

Alternitvaley just get a screwdrive, rap a smallbit of paper and tape it up to form a ball on the end. That will save any danage coming from the point of the screwdriver.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Knock it out by tapping around the inner lip (flatheat crewdriver ot seat post etc) inside the head tube that way it'l take a bit of time to get out but you wont deform the inside of the head tube 🙂

TBH I got the tool and as I am a serial frame sawpper and mechanic nerd I have used it loads 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

saw the end off a cheap screwdriver

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Another option is to use the extension from a 1/2" socket set. Use the round end inside the headset cups and hit the square end with your mallet.

REmoving the crown race from your forks is trickier – use a fine flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to patiently tap it loose.

rob2
    Free Member

cheers guys, busy evening ahead !

dmiller
    Free Member

Rob,

I did something similar a few months back:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thanks-singletrackworld-forum-peoples

Hope that helps.

PS if you are fitting a new headset you might want to start a thread asking if you should grease it or not.*

Cheers,

David.

*this may end in tears.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Best option is to buy the proper tool. Shop around and you'll get one for under £20. Less likely to shag your headtube, quick and simpler to use, and its something you will undoubtedly use again.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Oh yes, always use grease when installing new headset cups 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Less likely to shag your headtube

Really! Has anyone ever done that ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

especially if you are a serial swapper!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use a 9" nail as a drift. I've never 'shagged' a headtube, not in the dozen or so frames I've worked on. You don't just belt one side out first, you work round in three or so places. Easy peasy.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Less likely to shag your headtube

Really! Has anyone ever done that ?

Erm…yes. 😳

But it was a cheap old frame and it was the perfect excuse to buy my Cross Check

spock
    Free Member

best way to get them in is two pieces of wood and a vice

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Unless you have a short length of 22mm copper lying about, I'd either by a 1m steel tube or get the proper tool. The copper will cost as much as the tool and AFAIK you can only get it in 3m lengths (hence similar cost to the tool).

I made mine from steel pipe in 20 minutes. Cost about 2 quid I think. You'll need a vice, hacksaw and a file.

ratadog

Cut slots in a piece of 22mm copper pipe and flare the ends.

Unless you have a short length of 22mm copper lying about, I'd either by a 1m steel tube or get the proper tool.

+1 for both comments.

The copper tube method works fine and when I tried to buy the proper tool the internet bike shop emailed me back to tell me not to waste my money if I had an appropriate length of copper available. Owing to just jhhaving the kitchen redone I did have such a thing. Mind you the kitchen cost me best part of £8k so it was hardly a cheap solution. If I'd had to buy the tube I'd have gone for one of the other two solutions depending on availability.

rob2
    Free Member

Used an old piece of copper tube, worked a treat! Wife is loving the workshop in the kitchen 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Headset removal – what diy options?’ is closed to new replies.