Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Headset (Or Similar) Creak Help
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hoping some one of the stw massif can help here or at least experienced something similar

So I’ve got a creak just by pressing down on the bars, it’s creaks as it goes down and as it goes back up (the fork)

However the weird thing is when I undo the stem bolts the creak is audible as I undo them, it’s the exact same noise and then if I press down on the bars the noise has disappeared

If I then adjust the headset preload and put the bolts back together again the noise disappears for pretty much a ride, then what Evers going on it comes back again by the end of the ride

I’ve had new headset bearings as they were goosed, I’ve tried various bars and stems and different stem bolts wit and new everything and some loaned by mates etc so can rule out the bars/stem

I’ve taken the headset parts apart and greased every thing

Now I’ve had creaking forks before both pikes and fox but this is different as no matter what I tried on those the creak remained
    Where as the difference here is Its not constant, once I release the stem bolts, it then disappears for a ride then it comes back, I release the stem bolts and the creak disappears, repeat, repeat after and sometimes mid ride

So any ideas? I’ve tried pretty much everything I can think of, only thing left is he headset cups maybe?

This noise created stationary so not the saddle and bike still just pushing down slowly on the bars

Whaddya’ think?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anyone?

khani
    Free Member

Star fangled nut creaking/moving slightly? Maybe…
    I’d be inclined to try another headset tbh,
    Edit’ try putting the topcap on the fork steerer without the stem and nipping it up to see if the sfn creaks under load

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Khani – I’ve put a new star nut in as I thought it also could have been a possibility

Headsets a hope one only 8 months old from brand new but I’ve replaced the bearings to no avail, all the other bits that stack up in the headset seem fine

The only other thing headset related that I’ve yet to try is the headset cups

Edit it doesn’t creak when then stems undone by the bolts it’s silent again then?! It’s very very odd, plus without the stem and bars on it’s hard to create the force to make the noise but I can’t seem to replicate it without the stem on, but that doesn’t really answer anything as I’ve tried 3 stems now ha

jonk

Probably the CSU on your forks. i have both fox and RS that creek and its temporarily cured by dripping some lube down the steerer / crown interface.

iainc

If it goes away when you undo stem bolts and retighten it sounds like its in the stem/steerer interface. As it does it with other stems, could there be some irregularities on the steerer tube ? Maybe worth a wee light sanding ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Jonk I’ve had that before, although the creak sounds similar it doesn’t make sense that it goes
    When undoing the stem bolts and also doesn’t come back for a ride or so, if it was forks like I’ve had before it was constantly there regardless

Starting to think maybe it is something to do with the steerer tube or something though, as I’ve really ruled everything else out headset wise now

Ian I can’t see anything dodgy on the tube itself though, no burrs or similar and its smooth etc, it’s very odd as I can’t quite put my finger on what it is other that it’s around the headtube/stem area

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clean all the stem mating areas and grease the bolts

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Done and done Al, all bolts greased and cleaned all headset components cleaned thoroughly , as mentioned I’ve used 3 different stems and 2 handlebars so various new/used ones to try
    All to no avail

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Little bump see if any Monday morning thinkers have any thoughts!

teacake
    Free Member

Take out the headset cups and check they are not cracked. I removed a headset recently and this happened:

Could be worth a check.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whats the picture teacake? its not loading for me, very intrugied, headset cups are the only thing left to try so im hoping it is that

jsync

OW,

I have something similar. I’ve been chasing a creak / crack / snap hear the headtube and have done the following:

– tightened top cap
    – cleaned stem / bars, fibre paste and grease
    – regrease pivots and torque to spec
    – greased axles
    – remove pedals, clean and grease
    – remove seatpost, clean and fibre paste
    – tighten seatpost clamp

The things that seem to have made a difference were:

– cleaned stem / bars, fibre paste and grease
    – regrease pivots and torque to spec
    – remove seatpost, clean and fibre paste
    – tighten seatpost clamp

But only for a couple of rides. I’m going to replace the bearings and look at the headset next. On thing that I do wonder about is whether the sound is coming from the internal routing for the reverb stealth as it started at a similar time to when this was installed but I can’t be sure when.

teacake
    Free Member

Sorry I didn’t “share” it. Try this: Linky

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

teacake, looks bad that, has it been in the frame for ages though? cant see mine being that bad given the frames only 8 months old

jsync- mines is definitely related to the headset area, mines is done stationary with nothing moving but compression on the bars, its a odd one that’s for sure

ill have a look into the cups and hopefully will throw up the culprit

teacake
    Free Member

That headset had been in for 5 years on a rigid fork and I rode it very hard on rocky Stockholm trails. A combination of the Strathpuffer and a Cairngorm epic finished it off!

Chris King were brill though – sent me a brand new cup and said “make sure the inside of your headtube has a slight chamfer (ie not razor sharp square).

I’ll report back in 5 years as to the efficacy of this!

Another thought is: are your stems “man enough” or are they lightweight flimsy things? I had an issue for ages with a creak in the bars/fork area and it was fixed by changing from a roadie stem to a heft one.

Yet one more point: have you tried a wee plastic washer between the bottom of the stem and the spacers or headset top cap? Chris King supply such things with their headsets. You could probably make one.

nedrapier

There’s a possibility one of the headset cups is moving in the frame. Obviously the fact that it’s stopped for a ride or so after messing with the stem bolts suggests it’s not this, but we’re into the realms of magic and witchcraft with “headset” creaks!

If you’re pulling the cups out, put them back in with some of this:

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802627682305

The cups still come out the same with a good knock of a removal tool, but this stuff will keep them from moving slightly if the tolerance of the cups or the frame are a little bit off.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

very good service from CK, ive got a CK bb and its absolutely immense, takes 2 mins to service with the tool, and the workmanship is spot on, im tempted get a ck headset too in the future

stem wise yep ive tried 3 variations, on race face atlas am stem, so as burly as they get, Thomson and a few others actually non branded, all the same but all mtb specific

spacers- the hope headset comes with 3 metal shims like the plastic one you speak off, tried with all in, all off, and various other combos. still the same

guess If the headset cups don’t prove to be the culprit ill just have to keep unslackening the stem bolts, in the middle of a ride or as and when required to get rid of the noise for a little while

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Is it a Cane Creak headset..?
    I’ll get my coat.

teasel
    Free Member

On thing that I do wonder about is whether the sound is coming from the internal routing for the reverb stealth as it started at a similar time to when this was installed but I can’t be sure when.

Not quite the same thing but I stripped and rebuilt my road hack twice a few weeks back. I was convinced it was headset after eliminating various other culprits and was all set to whack it out and re-seat it. I eventually got the click to sound while holding the frame in such a way that I could pressure the crank but have ‘no force’ beyond the top tube and down tube junction. Anyway, cutting to the chase it turned out to be coming from the lower bottle cage bolt, which when released, cleaned, greased and re-tightened seemed to solve it. It’s since returned which makes me think it’s the rivet starting to fail or just loosen.

Anyway, probably not helpful but sometimes it’s the weirdest things and you have to check it all…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Headset (Or Similar) Creak Help’ is closed to new replies.