Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset into a carbon frame, home DIY or bike shop only?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

New (old) SC BLTc heading my way and its going to need a new headset.

Tapered head tube, straight fork steerer so was going to get one of those Hope step down crowns or a Hope D cup and then a normal top one

I’ve got a proper headset installation tool and a proper headset basher outer so could do a half decent DIY job but have no idea how easy it MIT be to ruin my new (old) frame.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

get the headset from the bike shop and add fitting in? Got mine pressed properly, didn’t fancy laying into it with a hammer 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Any idea what size the lower cup is?

Hope do three sizes for 1.5″ headsets! 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d mail jungle Santa Cruz UK with the exact frame but the current one is
    2 Top
    F bottom which is an external 1.5″
    That just slotted into mine fine (though that is the latest frame but not sure if they would have changed the HS area much.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you have the proper tools you will surely be ok? That said, buying from the LBS and getting them to fit it seems the best bet if you aren’t sure. Take in the frame without forks and that should minimise labour costs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

more importantly what colour did you get?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It’s a white one from 2010

5thElefant
    Free Member

I did one yesterday with a mallet. Second one on that frame and another two carbon frames all done the same way over the years.

sockpuppet

If you have a headset press, then go right ahead.

Is a very satisfying job with the right tools!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Headset into a carbon frame, home DIY or bike shop only?’ is closed to new replies.