Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • headset creaking. ..spec enduro 2010
  • kwack
    Free Member

Hi

Reckon I found where the creaking ia coming from…the headset..it has some weird internal thing from cane creek. On bottom it has no cups just an internal spliced thing which sits in loose and then a bearing…is this right?

I reckon the creaking is coming from the lower bearing rubbing against this spliced thing?

Any ideas…the bearing seems pretty smooth running so dont want to buy a new bearing if this isn’t needed

Cheers
    Kwack

plus-one

Clean it all out and smear fresh grease over bearing/cups and refit it.. Job done.. 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

They ‘dry out’.. as above should solve it. Dont over tighten topcap.

devash
    Free Member

They ‘dry out’.. as above should solve it. Dont over tighten topcap.

Out of interest, how tight should one do up the top cap on a Campy style integrated headset? I have one on my Specialized Camber and I’ve never been able to work out how much to tighten it?

kwack
    Free Member

I cleaned it out a couple of weeks ago when I fitted new forks

Just so I understand..the bearing sits underneath the spliced thingy..it doesn’t have to be pushed up into it does it?

For the bottom there isn’t any cups just the spliced bit pushed up which falls out when taking forks out the bearing rests up against it..then forks with crown race on?

Cheers
    Kwack

plus-one

If it’s all cleaned but no grease it’s the bearing/crown race/cups creaking together(grease prevents this)

kwack
    Free Member

OK will a trip down again and load up with grease I only out a small amount last time.

Just to be sure the lower bearing sits below the spliced bit rather than inside it? As I couldn’t seem to push inside the spliced bit

I searched on internet but couldn’t seem to find any advice

Cheers
    Kwack

plus-one
    robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Just to be sure the lower bearing sits below the spliced bit rather than inside it? As I couldn’t seem to push inside the spliced bit

Yup, below. It’s a very weird proprietary set up. See page 4 of: http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/FSR—2011-Enduro-FSR-Manual.pdf

kwack
    Free Member

Cheers I will strip down and take a look again….

Cheers all
    Kwack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘headset creaking. ..spec enduro 2010’ is closed to new replies.