Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Head hunting dilemma
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve just received a call from a head hunter who has offered the opportunity to work with a competitor in what is quite a niche market. They want me to have a chat with the Sales director of said competitor.
    The complication is that I bubbled their salesman for using underhand tactics and one of my current directors had a word with his contact in the competitor to let them know that we feel that this underhand selling strategy is not on. The competitor agreed and now there is an apparent vacancy, which isn’t being advertised.
    Call me over analytical, but I think it’s a bit convenient and I’m (naturally) suspicious that they just want to make my life a little difficult.
    I’m off for a meeting with my director this afternoon and tempted to sound him out on it.
    I am happy in current position and have no desire to move, but always happy to look at alternatives.
    What think you?

legend
    Free Member

Call me over analytical, but I think it’s a bit convenient and I’m (naturally) suspicious that they just want to make my life a little difficult.

By offering you a job? The swines!! Think you might be over-thinking

theotherjonv

<alternate view>

they are very ethical and shocked at the tactics employed, and hence have moved the miscreant out, and now want to replace him with someone as morally and ethically sound as you?

If you don’t want to move then don’t but you’re free to talk to anyone you like (as long as your wife agrees, obvs)

Cougar

Reckon I’d be up front with my current employer and go for the interview. Even if you don’t jump ship, being able to go “hey, $competitor just offered me an extra five grand” might be nice…

blurty

It’s a free country, and it doesn’t (normally) hurt to talk

I’d lay off telling your gaffer for the time being.

jam-bo

or headhunter has heard that other guy is out and is speculating.

he’s probably on the other line talking to the your boss about a candidate your job as he’s heard your moving.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Depends if your contract has a non-compete clause… All our sales guys have one…

jekkyl

they want to make your life difficult…. so they employ a recruitment agency and get them to phone you and ask you to come in for a non existant position?
    You’re paranoid, have you had trouble sleeping?

theotherjonv

Depends if your contract has a non-compete clause… All our sales guys have one…

– probably unenforceable. restraint of trade, etc.

(you can engineer a non-compete that is enforceable but it usually involves some sort of recompense for agreeing not to compete, and simply being paid up to that point isn’t usually enough. More common i think in compromise agreements where part of the settlement can be understood to be in return for not working for a competitor for a period after leaving)

geetee1972
    Free Member

they are very ethical and shocked at the tactics employed, and hence have moved the miscreant out, and now want to replace him with someone as morally and ethically sound as you?

That’s exactly how I read it – they’ve fired the guy and now need to replace him/her with, potentially, you.

Have the conversation. If nothing else it’s valuable competitor information.

cornholio98
    Free Member

I actually had a conversation about how enforceable the non compete clause is with my boss on Friday…
    He said it may not be enforceable but when the new company gets a letter from the lawyers they have to REALLY want you to keep going.
    Smaller the industry and industry type will obviously have an impact

jambalaya
    Free Member

Standard responce of “happy where I am thanks” but go for a chat. You don’t need to tell the other company anything sensitive (excersize some caution if other co is just trying to get info) and you don’t need to speak to your co first.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You do realise it’s the agency that has introduced to the other company and not the other way around?

Why would you employ a very expensive agency to do that? If you take the job the agency would get a substantial commission. Normally about 20% of your new salary.

chewkw
    Free Member

More money means you can buy more things which means you can be happier if you need more money that is.

BigJohn

As there is contact between the two companies your boss is sure to find out if you’ve “been for a chat”.

You’ve got a reputation now for having principles so use it to your advantage. Go for “the chat” and start off by saying that your boss knows all about it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Go but be warned

HH work for the company NOT you
    HH occasionally fish ie, no actual mandate
    Companies often interview purely to gain market intelligence

If they have put you in tough with company then (2) seems invalid for this scenario
    Get them to speak first – you should be able to tell if they are genuinely recruiting or merely digging for info on competitor

Good luck

p.s. be careful how you communicate with your boss. One guy came to me and told me that he had been approached by a competitor and offered a higher salary but didnt want to move. He was surprised when I told him that it was the wrong decision and by my enthusiasm for him taking the new offer!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Update and it looks like I won’t be talking to them afterall, maybe talking, just not going to work for them. It sounds like the company is struggling and the whole set up lacks an R&D dept which means no new products. No new products means that they’re always going to be on the back foot and chasing everyone else.
    I mentioned to the director that they were looking and he filled in details without prompting or probing. I’m happy with that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Head hunting dilemma’ is closed to new replies.