Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Having second thoughts… was this a silly purchase?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Apparently a 'prototype' Sub Zero… I liked it because of the adjustable dropouts, they match my plan to run an alfine hub… ended up paying £200 for it, seem reasonable?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

nice colour

ton

where from???

psychle
    Free Member

mmmmm… bright yellow 😀 or is it green? I'm colour blind 🙄

psychle
    Free Member

where from???

from the bay… it's allegedly authentic (I hope 🙂 )

TheDoog
    Free Member

Certainly looks like one of oranges colours and they had a prototype sub zero with sliding dropouts in their offers section not long back so looks like it could be legit. Email the pic to orange, they'd set you straight one way or t'other!

psychle
    Free Member

Hi Doog, can you remember how much it was (would be nice to know if I did land a bit of a bargain 🙄 )

Rickos
    Free Member

Looks legit to me wth that downtube and the headtube junction. Nice buy.

TheDoog
    Free Member

It was a full bike think it was over a grand, fox 36 vans on it, hope etc etc. I toyed with buying it but didn't. I'm jealous!!!

psychle
    Free Member

this bike is going to be niche-tastic 🙄 one-off (or thereabouts) Orange frame, Alfine rear, Specialized E150 fork 😆 should be fun 😀

ton

i dont think it is a zero.
    i had one and a mate has one.
    and they didnt make em with chainguide mounts….i may be wrong tho…

psychle
    Free Member

apparently it's a prototype… only 2 made (so the story goes), tried to call Orange today to check before pulling the trigger, but they close at 1 on a Friday, lucky buggers 🙄

TheDoog
    Free Member

Put the pic on their facebook page, someone will answer quickly, i reckon its legit, or a damn good fake!! Whats the weld quality like??

ton

mine snapped pretty sharpish…….. 😥

psychle
    Free Member

Whats the weld quality like??

Don't know, won't get it till next week I guess… shall let you know 😀

TheDoog
    Free Member

Where abouts in the uk is it coming from?? If its not a personal question!!

psychle
    Free Member

From out Wales way (Carmarthen)… the ebayer had a bunch of green team hope stuff he was selling as well, apparently came with this frame

Bregante

The Doog – Member
    It was a full bike think it was over a grand, fox 36 vans on it, hope etc etc. I toyed with buying it but didn't. I'm jealous!!!

it was 1400 and it was blue. nearly went fer it myself 😳

TheDoog
    Free Member

I was just wondering how far and wide these things got from the factory!!

psychle
    Free Member

frame allegedly belonged to a sponsored rider, don't know who though (only 2 of these made apparently…)

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i saw that and was going to bid!!

bargain tastic.

post pics up when it built please!!

whyterthanwhite
    Free Member

One question to the op, – what made you not buy a ragley in aluminium for around the same price for new with warranty?

Not to make you doubt your purchase or the like, just curiosity.

I think it looks quite neat that orange, but the gusset is filled which looks odd and probably would be a prototype then.
    apart from that, it looks Aok.

psychle
    Free Member

not sure which Ragley I could've looked at, the Blue Pig I guess? Though, given I'll be running a triple crown fork on this, warranty isn't really an issue for me (pretty sure Brant wouldn't cover it).

Thanks for not bidding oneonoeoneone… I wasn't going to go over £200 (I was the only bidder in the end which was good!)

TheDoog
    Free Member

Ragley? Aluminium? 200 quid?? Its about time someone opened a shop in Walsden!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I saw it on eBay a while back along with a bunch of other bits and pieces – wheels, green coloured Hope brakes etc, I think (and I could be wrong on this) being sold by Alan Millway the guy that runs Riders Retreat in Morzine/Les Gets. He's a top bloke and as honest as they come so if it is from him that you bought it, you've got nothing to worry about.

psychle
    Free Member

The guys name is Gareth Evans… that doesn't tally up with your info geetee… and he wants me to send a cheque, not paypal… feeling a little nervous on this one now…

TheDoog
    Free Member

If he's legit surely he'd accept paypal?? Why would he want a cheque?

psychle
    Free Member

that's what I'm thinking… he says he can't wait 21 days for the funds, going on holiday or somesuch… maybe I should do a roadtrip to Wales for a days riding and pick it up whilst I'm out there…

allthepies
    Free Member

Not *THE* Gareth Evans from Wales ? :O

😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

Sounds fishy now, whats his feedback score like?? You dont have to wait 21 days with paypal, as soon as you leave good feedback he gets funds released. Assuming it gets put on hold!

psychle
    Free Member

who's *THE* Gareth Evans? or are you just winding me up? 🙄 😀

psychle
    Free Member

has 6 ratings… only one as a seller (a bunk bed), all 100% though…

TheDoog
    Free Member

Put a link up for the ebay ad?

psychle
    Free Member
    TheDoog
    Free Member

Ask him if you can collect for cash, see what he says

psychle
    Free Member

good idea… will do.

TheDoog
    Free Member

It says the other belongs to the boss of orange?? Well they sold it a few month back!! I'd back away if i were you!

DaveGr
    Free Member

Wait till Monday, contact Orange and then if it's OK send the cheque then. Posties are on strike anyway so no point popping it in the post tomorrow. As for paypal then the fees eat into his profit so can see the point of a cheque. paypal = no address. Cheque you have to have his address to send it to.

colnagokid

Wait till Monday phone Orange, ask them about it. Im sure theyll be helpfull

JxL
    Free Member

Hmm a cheque takes around 5 working days to clear, plus time in post (when there are postal strikes). Surely paypal would be a quicker option, as it takes 5 or less working days to CLEAR to account (and obviously straight away to paypal acc).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Having second thoughts… was this a silly purchase?’ is closed to new replies.