Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Have You Ever Required Gear Cables On A Ride?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With spokes, the best thing to do is buy all the spare sizes you need, then blu tack them into your bar end plugs. That way if you have multiple bikes you’ll always have the right spoke (rather than casrrying 4x n spokes in your pack, where n is number of bikes). Ditto quick links taped inside brake levers, brakepads and mech hanger between saddle rails, tube taped to seatpost/frame.

About the only stuff I need to carry on my back now on short rides is a CO2 inflator and a mutltool. Longer rides I’d still take a more coprehensive kit with cables, zip ties, pump, first aid (plus space blanket), etc. But keeping bike specific stuff on the frame makes life easier.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i drove to the Qtox a few years ago, rode to the 1st descent where sponging machines gear cable snapped, we walked slowly back to the car then drove home…after that i always carry one, it weighs nowt and could save a long walk back…

admittedly the rest of my backpack is sadly lacking save for a few old power links and old jelly babies.

juan
    Free Member

They generally cost around €40-60 for a decent tyre

And you’ll find it’s the same price than in the UK 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I did have to buy one at Swinnertons at Cannock once and fit it on the spot- it had frayed near the derailleur in such a way that shifting went right out the window.

Generally I’d think it’s a bit OTT, unless you’re touring somewhere for an extended period away from bike shops. For a week’s riding abroad it’s unlikely you’d need one.

That said, they’re cheap, light and small, and you’ve presumably paid a lot of money for the trip so it would be a shame to have it compromised over a little thing. Also maybe the guides know something you don’t when it comes to how frequently they need them so I’d just follow their advice in this case.

Taff
    Free Member

Just seen a mates facebook status…. he’s broken the gear cable on his road bike!!

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I have cycled round Trevelez, it is lovely, try pop into the shop in the main square that has all the funny hats. The riding round there is great, best I have ridden. You will have a ball round there. I would take a cable, just in case though.

svalgis
    Free Member

Just seen a mates facebook status…. he’s broken the gear cable on his road bike!!

Insane

to put that as your facebook status!!

Northwind

Right, I’m repeating myself here, but what’s this “Glad I had a spare so I could carry on with my ride?” It’s not like a puncture or chain, if a gear cable snaps you just can’t change that end’s gears any more, but nothing stops you from riding on with the gears you still have.

portlyone

I imagine it’s in case the zombies attack and you need to snare a conejo while avoiding the major cities.

gnusmas

Never needed to replace one on the trails but still carry one every time.
    Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

rotten
    Free Member

I always carry one. Broke two cables over the last 9yrs of riding.

martymac

only ever had one snap in 25+ years of mtb.
    just adjusted the limit screw up to the middle sprocket and carried on with a 3 speed mtb.
    naturally, i was 45 miles from home at the time (sods law etc).
    guide knows best id say.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Have You Ever Required Gear Cables On A Ride?’ is closed to new replies.