Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Have you downgraded your drive train?
  • cookeaa

10/11/12 Shimano all use the same cable pull so you can just use your SLX mech OP and a 10 speed shifter/cassette if that’s what you prefer…

I’m using a 12 speed Deore mech with a cheapo 11-42 cassette and a zee shifter, it can accommodate a much bigger range if I need it to, but it’s reliable and relatively cheap…

WildHunter2009

Microshift Advent X on the hardtail and pretty impressed. Shifter isn’t as intuitive as Shimano but it’s amazing value.
    Suspect the big bike when i eventually get it will be Deore 12 with an upgraded shifter and decent cables

intheborders
    Free Member

As many other posts have pointed out I think 12 speed is too sensitive to imperfections for off-road.

Disagree.

+4 years and nearly 5k miles hard miles on my Cotic – GX works a treat.

2nd mech after twatting the original on a rock, original shifter, about 4 cassettes and the original alloy plus 2 steel chainrings.

The NX mech I replaced the GX mech with on my HT when I swapped it on to the Cotic was horrible, cheaper NX cassette that came on my HT wore far too quickly. Chain-wise I just use SRAM and replace at 0.5.

It’ll be getting a new cassette, chain and chain ring for Christmas – will be GX.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Not sure how you downgrade from a 2005 SRAM X9 9 speed, but it refuses to die so I’ll find out when it finally does.
    Any other bike has had Deore or Tiagra put on when original bits died. Unless I can upgrade the rider, spending more seems excessive.

willard

Not really a downgrade, but I have made a conscious decision to stay with Deore for my commuter with the cheapest, decent chains I can get away with for the drivetrain. I love the bike, but it gets poorly treated in winter and spoiling it with nice things makes me sad when they get destroyed after a winter.

My other two bikes are still running their stock chainsets. When the road bike needs things replacing it may get something a little bit more upmarket, but the Stumpy is going to get fed the stock replacemetns. Apart from brakes… I may give it better brakes.

nickc

As many other posts have pointed out I think 12 speed is too sensitive to imperfections for off-road.

like @intheborders, I’ve found that SRAM 12 speed to be utterly bombproof. I replaced a chain and cassette out of supply chain worries not because of wear and tear. It did 6000km and it wasn’t even at 0.5. In that time I’ve replaced in the inner cable and maybe tweaked the B adjustment…and that’s it.

beefy

Yep, 10 speed microshift advent x for about a year now with an ali express cassette (this was due to availability) and it has all been amazing. 10 speed on two other bikes too.

I ride 29ers, so use a 28 chainring with 11-46 cassettes and have plenty of up hill gears (I always gear for the ups, not the downs).

confused58

Yes,
    Broke the NX mech on my Status, fitted Microshift Advent X which works fine, have now fitted it to 2 other bikes.

intheborders
    Free Member

Not sure how you downgrade from a 2005 SRAM X9 9 speed, but it refuses to die so I’ll find out when it finally does.

Presumably you’ve had dozens of chains, cassettes, jockey wheels, chainrings and cables run through it though, so the only ‘originals’ will be the cranks, mech and shifter?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Presumably you’ve had dozens of chains, cassettes, jockey wheels, chainrings and cables run through it though, so the only ‘originals’ will be the cranks, mech and shifter?

Surprisingly few. Even when the cassettes and chains are badly worn, they work. Just cleaning properly after every ride. Cables in full length outers last years with an occasional lube. Jockey wheels taken out, greased regularly.

Olly
    Free Member

my X9 mech wore out, (2nd or 3rd ive had on the drive chain over the years) and being 9 speed it now has a “vintage” value.
    Couldnt justify the full RRP for a 10 yr old mech, when i could get an X7 for a bargain bin price.
    so went X7.

New X7 works much smoother than haggard X9.

Murray

I put GX Eagle on my old Camber in order to lose the front mech. It was great (apart from the gen 1 rear mech without the chain retaining ridge on the jockey wheel.

My new Cotic Jeht has Microshift Advent X 1×10, it’s really good. The only thing I miss is the crawler gear

stevextc
    Free Member

Not as such but I guess it’s apart of a list of things I’d never own or own fleetingly if I was getting some deal and could sell on as unused.

I’d also not own anything with Tourney or even worse SX/NX
    I’d not own anything with micro spline or XD
    I’d not own anything with GXP
    I’d not own anything that isn’t a bar mount

My current bikes (across family excluding SS) are 11sp Sunrace steel except the 4x which has a Saint 10sp… and decent (not shit) chains are actually cheaper for 11sp than 10sp… I’d upgrade to 10sp if I had the parts and chains were cheaper.

Linkglide looks interesting .. its a shame they cripple the Deore on range but I’m waiting for pull ratio’s and some tests to work out a cost effective way to use it.

Ideally I’d like a HG or non premium interface (open and no royalties) and Saint ruggedness.. with say 46T capability and £10 chains.

aide

Have NX eagle on my bike, had it just over two years and apart from a quick fettle with it I’ve not had any problems at all. On its second chain now but that’s it. Will keep the same type of cassette when it needs it, will eventually upgrade the shifter if I need to but will keep them till they break. Happy with what ive got though

wzzzz
    Free Member

Sure

I have changed a GX eagle mech to a Deore 12 before but I see that as an upgrade as Sram mechs are awful

I then bought a bike with XTR 11 speed and immediately swapped out the mech for a Deore and the cassette for a Sunrace to remove the awful jump and get a bigger cog.

11 stays shifting well for longer than than 12 and everything is cheaper.

Dangling a spangly mech around here is asking for expensive trouble as they don’t last long when clanged on the rocks. And why do that when Deore shifts just as well. I like the XTR shifter as you can double downshift.

docrobster
    Free Member

Stevextc- you know you can run cheaper 11s chains with your 10s everything else don’t you?

stevextc
    Free Member

Stevextc- you know you can run cheaper 11s chains with your 10s everything else don’t you?

Actually no … I mean I figured I could get away with it as the width is pretty close but not actually done it.

I guess the other thing is the “4x thing” barely gets pedalled … my intention was always to set it up SS but that cost money compared to having a Saint shifter and mech lying about.

SirHC

Dont find I have any issues with shimano 12 speed. Things need maintenance, avoids expensive failures.

I refuse to own anything sram, it wears out far too quickly

-SP41 gear cable, gets replaced once a year.
    -Aligned mech hanger
    -Jockey wheels kept in good condition, replaced when they get wobbly
    -XT cassette, XT chain. Aim to get 3000miles out of two chains and one cassette
    -Rebuild the mech once in a while, they arn’t that well sealed and become sticky (the pin the holds the lower cage to the parallelogram gets sticky)

Stainypants

The kids bikes are a mixture of 11 speed SLX and XT I would have certainly put Advent X on it at the time but there was no stock anywhere when I built them up.

For the first time in ages by next MTB bike is likely to be a full build and if you want the better fork and wheels you end up with the better groupset. I’m not impressed with 12 speed I have it on my gravel bike and it’s just not robust. It’s not easy to downgrade from 12 speed as you’ve committed to a particular free hub. It’s likely to be a Sondor at least you can get different free hubs for their wheels.

nickc

I refuse to own anything sram, it wears out far too quickly

Honestly, the Eagle stuff really doesn’t. I was skeptical as well, and expected that the drivetrain would be the very thing I probably have to replace on a bike bought in 2019, but it’s been the thing that needs the least attention.

stcolin
    Free Member

Oddly, without thinking about it I’ve downgraded all the way down the Shimano hierarchy since my first full sus. Started with a mix of M970 XTR and XT, then on my Nukeproof it was Zee/SLX/XT, then SLX/Deore on the Reign and now Deore/SLX on the Ripmo. Performance wise, SLX/Deore is the best.

cokie

I’ve got a range of everything XO 1×12 > Single speed.
    I added 1×10 Deore M4/5100 to a single speed bike as a cheap drivetrain, and I’m mega impressed!
    Shifts perfectly and the 11-42t gives a pretty good range and the jumps aren’t too bad. No complaints other than the heavy cassette. I eventually added a Zee shifter for £10 so that I could get rid of the shift window and have a nicer leaver feel. I’ll definitely use Deore in the future.

stevextc
    Free Member

For the first time in ages by next MTB bike is likely to be a full build and if you want the better fork and wheels you end up with the better groupset.

In general yes .. well being pedantic not the “better” groupset but the one with more gears…

Depends what you buy and from who … I know Bird allow a 11sp drivechain and Ultimates or Factory which is interesting for me as boost/metric/wheel size is likely to be the main driver for me getting a complete bike

Mackem

I was dubious about SRAM – but bike came with GX Eagle 12 speed. Over 2 years it’s been flawless, recently bent the mech and got the AXS upgrade kit. So far, so good.

Radioman

I’m not surprised some people want to go back to 11 or 10speed. I still use 10 speed an have far less issues than riding buddies using 12speed .

Asking a rear mech to shift such a huge range of gears we see on 12s cassettes means that the extra large mech required is very vulnerable to trail damage and wear. The back wheel of a mountain bike takes most impact too, so adding the big mech and cassette to the “unsprung weight“ isn’t good. Obviously the most expensive group sets such as XTR and SRAM equivalent get over some of these weaknesses but only at totally ridiculous cost.

The 10 tooth small sprocket on most 12 speed cassettes will not last as well as the old 11 tooth rings either. I personally prefer the older 10 and 11 speed set ups plus the ability to run a bash guard. My recent new XT cassette cost £65. Still a fair bit but way less than 12 speed.

VanHalen

10sp Advent x microshift on my ebike. it was previously SRAM 12speed. its been such a massive improvement its silly

mert
    Free Member

I used to be all about XTR and Dura Ace, but last 3 groupsets have been 105/5800, XT/8000 and Ultegra Di2/8000 on a bike, which i got for *only* 400€ more than the none Di2 groupset, and it was in stock, not 6+ months off.

The ex got two new bikes in the last 3 years, one fitted with complete XX1 eagle and the other on GX eagle. Both had multiple trips back to the shops to get indexing fixed (i’m not mucking around with fixing brand new bikes with issues.)

One eventually got converted from GX => SLX and the other one now has XT instead of XX1, both running perfectly now.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m another rider who’s not exactly downgraded but have pressed pause at 11sp Shimano XT/SLX (with a wider range Sunrace cassette).

Works fine, just about enough range, slightly less vulnerable rear mechs – just does the job.

seadog101

I’ve finally got around to finishing off setting my two Pace hardtails the way I want. Both of which have had a kind of sideways move.

The 627 has a Sunrace 12 sp set up, and I can’t fault it. Mech is the MX vesion, SR 12 sp 11-50 cassette, and a SR MZ shifter (£5 on Ebay, brand new, clearly not aware of what they were selling, lucky me), Sram GX eagle chain). I think that running a full SR set-up is the key, seems to work without any grumbles or rattly noises.

The more interesting of the two is my RC 127, rigid Surly forks. SR 10 sp Cassette, 11-46, and the much admired Microshift Advent X Mech and shifter. Quite simply, unbeatable for the price. Snappy shifts and quiet running. The bike has fairly light wheels, and feels so buzzy and quick.

sillyoldman

There’s something not right about your 12 spd Shimano set up if it isn’t the best shifting you’ve ever had.
    12 spd XT pisses all over 11 spd XTR Di2 in my experience.

Don’t find it harder to set up – if anything it’s easier with regard to B-tension with the marking on the back of 5e inner cage to line up with the 51T sprocket.

It’s different to set up compared to older Shimano stuff, but not more difficult, and no less stable regarding adjustment on either of my bikes with it.

malv173
    Free Member

Not exactly a downgrade, but I have decided to ditch the singlespeed on my commuter. I’ve just ordered the Microshift Acolyte 8 speed, as I want try and make it a bike that I can do the groceries on. For less than £100 for the full set, including cables and chain, I’m quite looking forward to it.

ajantom

Microshift Acolyte 8 speed

I’ve had zero problems with it for nearly 5 months now. You can get mech, cassette, shifter and chain for £65 on CRC at the moment.
    Chunky 8spd with a 12-46 range, what’s not to like!

jamesmio
    Free Member

XT shifters (or Saint on my olde 10spd Soul) and the rest made up of Deore or SLX, depending on what’s available or on offer at the time.

3 bikes, ranging from XT, SLX and Deore bits and bar the range (12, 11 & 10 speeds) there’s little to zero difference between them when paired with a nice shifter.

Blatting 3 x XT rear mechs off rocks in about as many months during lockdown got expensive and tedious real quick.

WildHunter2009

Microshift Advent X on the hardtail and pretty impressed. Shifters not as intuitive as Shimano but mostly ok. Would happily buy again although next bike is likely to be a complete so will probably go Shimano 12 of some flavour.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.