Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Have we done today's PMQ?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Interesting, I think A Neil was part of the whole dumbing down process.

I dislike Neil, he’s terrible.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ll read your epic later off to get a haircut

Indeed best to ignore the facts when you want to spout shite be right all the time and no one does ignorance like you do ignorance.

As I said its pointless as you just do this when you know you are wrong

Its intellectually and characteristically bankrupt and makes you look well like this.

tragic

Matt24k
    Free Member

Corbyn is unelectable. His stance on many topics, whilst popular with the shouty left wingers, makes him unpalatable to majority of people that actually go to Polling Stations.

Northwind

It’s a bit of a recurring theme- by “old” PMQ standards, ie, 2 bellends shouting meaningless soundbites while their mates make cow noises, he’s terrible, and a lot of comments focus on that. But I’m seeing more and more commentators saying “But PMQs was shit, this is better”.

It’s exactly like a soggy biscuit race. The winner isn’t the fastest ****er, it’s the person who says “This entire thing is retarded” Cameron is definitely the better ****er, but maybe that’s not as important as he thinks.

Whether that’s something that’ll transfer wider, I’m not sure… I reckon the people who still took PMQs seriously, are exactly the people who think shouting meaningless soundbites is the pinnacle of politics, and will probably dismiss someone who doesn’t care for that. People who were put off by the old shit (*) are more likely to be receptive to the new approach. But then maybe people who had written PMQs off, are now unlikely to see it. And if you don’t actually watch it then headlines “Corbyn refuses to eat biscuit” might stick.

(* No not Corbyn)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Junkyard, did you miss the bit the other week where jambalaya told us he is an active member of ‘hacked off’?
    I feel as though i should bow to his superior understanding of the meeja. (Tugs forelock).

wrecker
    Free Member

If Corbyn is bringing some dignity and decorum to Parliament then bloody good on him. The UK’s most powerful people shouting, jeering and behaving like a ****ing university debate practice gone wrong has been an utter embarrassment for far too long.
    “winning” at asking questions? Jesus christ. That makes my shit itch.
    How’s about less petty point scoring and treating this time to actually achieve something?

dragon
    Free Member

PMQ’s is an odd one loads of people say they don’t like the baying etc. But I know quite a few foreigners who loved it as their parliaments are so boring and sterile, with pre set questions and answers. The worry is the new PMQ’s becomes so dull it just becomes irrelevant.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Apparently people love it – hence the media attention. My in-laws are hooked every week!

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    The Guardian called Corbyn flacid, doesn’t sound like I missed much and no surprise Channel 4 skipped over it.

Reading comprehension fail, despite quoting the section in your post you still have it wrong.

Corbyn used follow-up questions today, unlike in his first PMQs, when he tried six questions on six topics, but they were flaccid, and they did not really advance his case

The writer called the questions flaccid, unless ‘Corbyn’ is plural now?

Still going to try and argue it’s not confirmation bias?

On a tangent, did ‘flaccid’ just catch your eye for some reason?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The excitement of what pathetic excuse Mr 100% correct will use to avoid being wrong is almost unbearable

AlexSimon

I thought Corbyn could have done better today.
    More structure. More progression. More shocking numbers (children into poverty, for eg) before making each question.

In fact, it’s such an open goal, that I’m starting to worry that there must be something really awful we’re being distracted from.

kimbers

I think corbs shouldve ponted out thar outside the Westminster bubble people find it much more infuriating that MPs refuse to give straight answers to questions
    than whether parliamentary conventions have been overstepped

Coyote
    Free Member

I think that Corbyn is playing Hameron well. Measured approach against Hameron’s clumsy evasion of questions and ruddy-faced blustering when things don’t go his way.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

In fact, it’s such an open goal, that I’m starting to worry that there must be something really awful we’re being distracted from.

Could it be that they’re keeping the focus on the poorest 20% getting poorer because the other side is that the other 80% are getting more money?

AlexSimon

I was thinking more about TTIP.
    Yes – I think you’re right – that’s why they thought it was a good plan, because they knew that the majority of voters aren’t effected.
    They forgot that some of us have consciences 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Thinking about it they’ve sold it as a measure to reduce the deficit and save money. That doesn’t hold up to scrutiny when 80% of the population would be better off due to those measures. Is it the case that whilst the tax credits cuts would save £4.4.Bn, the other measures would cost more than £4.4Bn?

It’s simple – they’re trying to get as many horrific policies through as they can because they can’t believe their luck that they got voted in.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hameron

Took me a while to figure that out. Very good. 😆

Carry on…

Northwind

wanmankylung – Member

Thinking about it they’ve sold it as a measure to reduce the deficit and save money. That doesn’t hold up to scrutiny when 80% of the population would be better off due to those measures.

You can make 80% of claimants better off by a penny and 20% worse off by a grand and still save money while “Making most people better off”.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You can make 80% of claimants better off by a penny and 20% worse off by a grand and still save money while “Making most people better off”.

Yip. They’re not making people better of by a penny though are they?

Someone on around £45k/yr will be £1000ish better off

Junkyard
    Free Member

also they may be better off because the employers are paying a higher minimum wage rather than we are paying more tax credits to those better off are not made so by the state but by employers

slowjo
    Free Member

…and if employment costs rise, surely costs to the consumer will rise so the overall impact is largely neutral….or my my rudimentary grasp of economics lacking?

Neutral, unless you are in the poorest segment of society when the impact will be compounded by rising prices.

garlic
    Free Member

Corbyn is unelectable. His stance on many topics, whilst popular with the shouty left wingers, makes him unpalatable to majority of people that actually go to Polling Stations.

You’ve nailed the mindset of much of the UK.

Even though I’m left of centre, disagree with current Tory policy and will vote for Corbyn in the next GE, I can fully appreciate why people don’t like him.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Could it be that they’re keeping the focus on the poorest 20% getting poorer because the other side is that the other 80% are getting more money?

Despite the fact, that exactly the opposite has been happening. Still why let facts get in the way of the on-going narrative?

Things are rarely neutral slowjo although the Tories tried to pretend that this might have been the case here.

Odd that no one bothers with raising productivity and supply-side strategies to boost pay. Instead we rely on flawed gov interventions in the market with predictable consequences esp with all the political landmines laid along the way

deepreddave
    Free Member

No argument that benefit dependency needs to be addressed, some of the tax free credits/benefits/childcare paid out to larger families total more than the average salary net take home pay which can’t be right/sustainable.

Giving the wealthy more by way of tax cuts etc might boost the economy but it also boosts their personal wealth which seems at odds with the stated aims.

Oh for a law requiring politicians to provide a direct answer, where one is available. Maybe we could have a public Xfactor style vote where subjectivity exists.

ninfan
    Free Member

also they may be better off because the employers are paying a higher minimum wage rather than we are paying more tax credits to those better off are not made so by the state but by employers

surely that is what we want though?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…and disposable income has now recovered from the crisis (at last), despite our poor productivity record

Didn’t listen to PMQ, but odd that Cameron can’t just say. Yes, we are cutting something, therefore some people will be worse off. The analysis has been done and we know who those people are.

So be open and then explain the priorities and reasoning behind the choice. I dare you….

grum
    Free Member

Like what, specifically?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Check the list of U-turns completed as a start? Pretty impressive list for someone with such conviction (sic)

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Despite the fact, that exactly the opposite has been happening. Still why let facts get in the way of the on-going narrative?

Have I missed the part where the tax credit and other tax cuts have already been made?

So be open and then explain the priorities and reasoning behind the choice. I dare you….

For that to happen would require either political suicide, or to make something up.

kimbers

odd that Cameron can’t just say. Yes, we are cutting something, therefore some people will be worse off. The analysis has been done and we know who those people are.

Because its a terrible policy and exposes the lie that the Tories are the party of the workers or whatever BS they spun to get themselves elected?

scotroutes

U-turns?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uj2rAuQ9dY[/video]

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Does that video mean that the Tory spokesperson who said that Cameron only said that he wasn’t going to cut chuld tax credits was lying too?

Is there a way that we can get rid of our elected representatives mid term for blatant dishonesty? If not, why not?

molgrips
    Free Member

Check the list of U-turns completed as a start?

Grr.. I can’t stand this term ‘u-turn’. It’s nothing but a brainless insult to throw at someone, like calling someone who wears glasses ‘four-eyes’.

People who stick to the same slogans regardless are the stupid ones. Except that’s what’s rewarded by the press and apparently people like THM. Or maybe THM is choosing a negative interpretation of events because Corbyn is on the opposite team. To slightly take the piss I could suggest he googles ‘confirmation bias’ 🙂

Northwind

wanmankylung – Member

Is there a way that we can get rid of our elected representatives mid term for blatant dishonesty? If not, why not?

Trade Descriptions Act? Selling a government with false advertising. If they were selling toilet roll they’d be closed down.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Opposite” to what mol?

But just for you, shall we use 180 degree turn or volte face or to keep it simple and just say flip flop?

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT:

“Opposite” to what mol?

Your views – why did you need to ask? Unless you wish to argue you and Corbyn share similar outlook,values and priorities.

Steady now THM has repeatedly pointed out how unbiased he is on political threads and its only my own personal conformation bias that means I cannot recall any attacks on the tories and it appears that he only ever attacks labour. Forgive me

Whatever Corbyn does THM would be attacking him- he does not stand for the national anthem – he gets called disloyal to the crown, he does stand he has done a U turn – works for every issue as long as you never apply this tactic to your side

FWIW corbyn has done some growing up in public/u turns but he needs more time for me to form a judgement

As kimbers noted the Tories clearly lied to get in and never once said where the savings were coming from but we dont mention that one- damn my conformation bias again

ninfan
    Free Member

does that video mean that the Tory spokesperson who said that Cameron only said that he wasn’t going to cut chuld tax credits was lying too?

Counter argument being that they haven’t been cut though, they just have a different end point/taper rate.

The poorest in society (in income terms) will still get just as much tax credit as they did before.

(I would agree it’s sophistry worthy of Gordon brown mind)

kimbers

high 5 ! BBC subtitles writer

AlexSimon

Ha!

matt_outandabout

That will make a great meme.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Have we done today's PMQ?’ is closed to new replies.