Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Have we done this yet? – are the days off the trail centre uplift numbered?
  • kraftyone
    Free Member
    Northwind

It was there before the trail centre was invented so, probably not. I want a go though!

Was there not a plan for a bike lift in Bristol?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

At 5mph definitely not.
    Have you tried imagining how it would feel to keep your leg braced against that peg for the half hour or more it would take to get up a half decent downhill?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are there any ski drag lift type uplifts used for bike uplifts? Hook under bars, sit on bike and off you go. Or would it just lift the whole front into the air? 😀

AlexSimon

Just needs a load of jumps/rails/etc on the way down that street. (although probably works out expensive)

chvck
    Free Member

I think that those exist but I can’t remember… Useful answer I know!

legend
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

Are there any ski drag lift type uplifts used for bike uplifts? Hook under bars, sit on bike and off you go. Or would it just lift the whole front into the air?

Not yet, but there’s certainly a way to make it happen: http://www.protow-mtb.com/

GeForceJunky

Some 4x tracks in europe use ski drag lifts for access, I haven’t seen exactly how though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate does that with his quad bike, a big long rope with hooks to go round the stem/bar area, hauls half a dozen up at a time.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Was there not a plan for a bike lift in Bristol?

Is this a different Bristol than the one I know thats not really that hilly?

Good vid. Ace soundtrack.

Northwind

First attempts seem to go pretty badly, for most people, and that gets looked on as a big problem. But I remember my first attempt to use a tow on skis, then on a board, not to mention those cable tow rotatey bastardy things they use at xscape and they’ve all gone incredibly badly so I think if it’s going to catch on we’ll need to recalibrate our heads a wee bit and think like skiers.

MSP

I sometimes go to a bikepark that uses a draglift, it’s quite easy just goes under the arse/saddle.

http://www.bikepark-beerfelden.de/en/bike-park-beerfelden/uplift

deadkenny
    Free Member

First attempts seem to go pretty badly, for most people, and that gets looked on as a big problem. But I remember my first attempt to use a tow on skis, then on a board, not to mention those cable tow rotatey bastardy things they use at xscape and they’ve all gone incredibly badly so I think if it’s going to catch on we’ll need to recalibrate our heads a wee bit and think like skiers.[/quote]

Not sure about the laminate flooring. In the cold & wet and a bit of mud could be slippery and knowing likewise from first attempts at ski tows plus also the hassles snowboarders have with them, I can see the bike going sideways 😀

I guess without though up a grass slope it will just churn up the place. I’d go with a carpet style surface.

edlong
    Free Member

My commute would be loads easier if they installed one of them on Churwell Hill. Then again, it’s about the only exercise I get so probably for the best that they don’t.

legend
    Free Member

just churn up the place. I’d go with a carpet style surface.

Not really. The wheels are just rolling along whereas its putting power through the wheel that churns things up. There would obviously be some effect, but I don’t believe it would be too bad

MSP

Yeah the one at Beerfelden has matting to protect the slope a bit.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Strava segment here:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/1324447

I’m currently 63rd on a hotel hire bike 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

Pretty much every bikepark in Sweden that isn’t Åre use t-bar or, much less often, lollipop ski-lifts without much issue (I’ve just about killed myself and someone else using one while skiing though).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this yet? – are the days off the trail centre uplift numbered?’ is closed to new replies.