Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Have I poisoned myself servicing my forks.
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I serviced my forks yesterday including cleaning the wipers and changing the oil.
    Within a few minutes of finishing i started feeling really tired and weak followed by a sore throat. I ended up going to bed. In bed I was burning up then freezing cold and woke up lots all through the night. Woke up the same this morning and still feel pretty bad now.
    Could I of inhaled to many hydraulic oil fumes or something else? I did it in the shed by the doors with them open.
    Thanks
    Andy

veedubba

Um, flu?

Unless you drank the oil I doubt it’d cause you those sorts of problems.

Perhaps your wife/ girlfriend/ partner’s trying to kill you.

CHB

There are no appreciable fumes from fork oil. Unless you ingested any its coincidence.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I though flue but it feels different. Similar in some respects ie the Disseyness.
    Hadn’t thought about the wife trying to kill me. She did bring me a drink though. She always shows me the knife in the kitchen draw she says she will use when she wants to bump me off.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Other than putting the odd bolt between my lips to hold I didn’t ingest any.
    Probably just a coincidence. I just though it strange how fast it came on.
    Meant I couldn’t ride today which is gutting.

jon1973
    Free Member

You’re forked mate.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This isn’t the tine for puns like that.

CHB

Having oil coated bolts inyer gob could have possibly caused something, but you would have tasted it if there was any going into your mouth. Never had problems with fork oil (or engine oil or mineral based fluids). DOT 4 however gives me a nasty headache on the couple of occaisions that I have had a smidge anywhere near my mouth.

jon1973
    Free Member

Sorry, oil try and be a bit more sensitive next time. I didn’t mean to put a damper on things.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The op servicing his forks, yesterday

MartynS

I’m sure he’ll bounce back….

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m sure he’ll bounce back….

I hope so, it’s so easy to dropout in these situations.

Northwind

Did you make yourself toast with the judy butter? I know it’s delicious, but still…

Drac

Were they bombers? Maybe you just got pwned.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Thanks for this post, it cheered me up no end 😆

jes
    Free Member

Sounds like radiation sickness, didn’t mess with the damper unit did you?
    I read somewhere on STW some manufacturers use spent uranium to fashion components for the rebound damping. 😀

RustySpanner

Just put a cold compression on the affected area.

Hope you’re bearing up ok.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’m sure he’ll be on the rebound tomorrow.

djglover
    Free Member

only if it bottoms out tonight, although I’ll be happy to take a steer on that

djglover
    Free Member

Of course you could just manitou the **** up!

Dancake
    Free Member

That will be dog poo remenents getting into your bloodstream

foureyes
    Free Member

Could be Legionaries disease in the water that had leaked past the seals, sitting there, mixing, mutating, churning, developing, a mini warm wet and dirty environment constantly topped up with diluted dog poo.

RustySpanner

I must admit, never heard of fork poisoning before – I’m really Foxed by this one.

bigh
    Free Member

Ahh, you have a bad case of the Fox thirty sicks

bigh
    Free Member

Damn I was good there

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Do you still have a spring in your step?

legend
    Free Member

feeling deflated?

CaptJon
    Free Member

It must have been quite a shock having it come on that quickly. I home you make a (u-) turn for the better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Your fate is sealed I reckon.

Afaik fork oil is mineral oil, which is harmless I think. Lots of applications including baby oil and (judging by smell and taste) the stuff brass instrument players use to lubricate their valves. That ends up in your gob easily enough.

foureyes
    Free Member

talk to us Andysredmini!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I do hope you get a quick release from your ailment.

I would imagine that if you ingested any oil you would feel nauseous as it would hit your digestive system first. When young I ingested some oil and grease and was vomiting for 3 days!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I did a quick Recon of the internet and everything points to it being coincidence. My advice, get out on a ride, put a song on with some great Lyriks and Float down a favourite descent enjoying your newly service forks, but don’t venture down any new trails today, better the Deville you know.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Are you still alive?

enfht
    Free Member

Maybe he’s transformed into a Lion. Seriously.

palliative.stare
    Free Member

Maybe he is feeling depressed. 😳

Or feeling a slight clunk for starting this thread.

dribbling
    Free Member

“She always shows me the knife in the kitchen draw she says she will use when she wants to bump me off.”

Someone check the kitchen drawer.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Have we got a time of death yet?

Spin
    Free Member

House is on Sky Atlantic at 7pm perhaps he’ll shed some light on it.

Have we ruled out Lymes?

muckytee
    Free Member

Could I of inhaled to many hydraulic oil fumes or something else? I did it in the shed by the doors with them open.
    Thanks
    Andy

When I serviced my forks, I spilled some fork oil on my shirt. I would then, fairly regularly sniff the oil patch on my shirt – it smelt like GT85 but 20x better.

When I open the bottle of anything from brake fluid to fork oil I give it a sniff. 5.1 brake fluid smells mleh, but dot4 smells like the apple juice you would get at school.

And I feel pretty good 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Have I poisoned myself servicing my forks.’ is closed to new replies.