Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Have fat bikes run their course?
  • gnusmas

I haven’t seen a fat bike thread for a while, haven’t been looking either, but usually notice them. Have they run their course or still going strong in all their massive rubber goodness?

plus-one

Worst of all worlds fat bikes

lotto
    Free Member

29 plus a good compromise .

whitestone
    Free Member

Last two weekends I’ve been out on mine (see the weekend riding threads). Checking VeloViewer I’ll have done seven rides on it since the beginning of October – I’ve been injured for most of the month so that equates to probably half my rides.

Here’s mine above Wharfedale on a bit of cheeky footpath 🙂

Still definitely niche though! Don’t know if the Dune is still for sale at Go Outdoors but that’s about the only place you are likely to see one in a showroom (only ever seen one other shop with one for sale) and apart from CTBM there can’t be that many shops that stock fat bike components/spares such as tyres.

tjagain

Not for me its not.  NOt been riding much but whenever I do the fatbike is the one I choose ‘cos it makes me giggle

jonnyboi

Yep, I think OP has scooped it.  Maybe they were dying quietly and no one wanted to admit it?

epicyclo

Fatbike season is almost upon us…

FOG

I think that a sure sign that it’s pretty much all over is the lack of an efatbike!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or all the stupid questions have already been asked, hence fewer threads, so its reduced to the annual “are fat bikes dead” thread.

Still my most used bike by some margin, although the commuter is catching up.

I think that a sure sign that it’s pretty much all over is the lack of an efatbike!

Cube, Mondraker, Haibike.

Suntour make a hub motor for them, and most of the aftermarket kits are available with 100mm BB’s.

tomhoward

Mine gets as much use as all my others, though I’ve been sidelined since June…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I hear that all the cool kids are going to be buying singlespeeds soon…

tomhoward

Gearbox is where it’s at now, flashy dahling. The look of singlespeed without the agony, but more to talk about when others ask what it is…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Singlespeed fat bike, with funny bars, I’ve got all the niches covered!

Doubt I’m cool though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

more to talk about when others ask what it is…

😂

bedmaker

Still going strong, still fun, still a fantastic all-rounder at any time of year.

scotroutes

Northwind

They’re past the point of people making a lot of noise about them but that doesn’t mean anything when it comes to people riding them or buying them. I think manufacturers overshot- there was a spell about 2 years ago where there was space in the market and everyone was crapping out a fatbike, and by the time they all got to market that space was vanishing.

But the internet hate machine moved onto ebikes and the hype machine onto allegedly plus tyres that are actually just normal tyres, the mainstream fatbikes stole most of hte thunder from the expensive guys selling pretty ordinary bikes and parts for huge prices, and anyone who wants one, just buys one, like any other bike.

kayak23

I’m still fat whenever the ride is more xc style. Love my Dune.

ratherbeintobago

Don’t know if the Dune is still for sale at Go Outdoors but that’s about the only place you are likely to see one in a showroom

There was one in Leisure Lakes in Bury the other day IIRC

Mugboo

In my corner of West Yorkshire they are still growing for winter fun once we put the FS away.

Between us we have a Dune, Dude, ICT, 3 x Mukluks, Cooker and a Farley. Quite simply, anybody who tries one buys one…

Mugboo

A carbon Beargrease and a Mondraker too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

N+1 typesare all having Tommy Tanks over gravel bikes at the moment. That will pass at some point too.

Marketing bods will have to think of some niche too far again

evilsovereign
    Free Member

still my main bike. My surly ICT, with bluto’s is superb. got a vir fortis carbon fatty for training/racing. a couple of plus bikes. the only thing i’ve got, kinda normal is my camino ti gravel bike.

drofluf
    Free Member

Premier Iconepicyclo

Fatbike season is almost upon us…

There’s a season for fatbikes? Does that mean I’ve broken a rule by riding mine year round?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Love my Fatty.

scotroutes

Don’t know if the Dune is still for sale at Go Outdoors but that’s about the only place you are likely to see one in a showroom

Or Bothy Bikes in Aviemore.

Or Nevis Cycles in Fort William.

kerley
    Free Member

As with all these things there have reached a plateau (see very good graph above).  A lot of people rush to try the new thing (single speed, fixed gear, fat bike).  Many find it was not really for them while others stick with it.  You then have a base of riders who just get on and ride their singlespeed, fixed gear, fat bike etc,. without the need to talk about it like it is something amazing.  Gravel bikes are still in the peak of inflated expectations.

therealthing
    Free Member

Take up and interest has plateaued at a low level, so the slow death has already begun.

zippykona

With hindsight my fatty’s best aspect was that it wasn’t a full sus.

It was a rigid bike with suspension.

I loved the directness of pedalling it. No bob ,no winding the bike up just pedal and go.

I have since bought a Scandal and it does everything I ask of my fatty but with less effort required.

Not ridden my fatty for months. It won’t get a look in this winter as narrow tyres are better in the mud.

All the nice bits have been taken off the fatty and put on other bikes. The Hope D.T wheels are getting sold and the On Ones going back on.

I would sell it but Mrs Zip reminds me that I loved it so much that if I get rid of it I will just buy another at some point.

So it’s gone to the bottom of the bike pile to become a once a year beach bike.

edit. I will just add that the orange 5 I bought was worse to ride than the fatty.  That has definitely been sold.

whitestone
    Free Member

@scotroutes – ah, the frozen north 🙂

I suppose the amount of use depends on where and what you ride. For heading out across peat moorland on rarely used bridleways they are ideal, for blasting round trail centres less so – not that that stops people doing it of course. I got mine because I’d entered a fat bike race in Lapland and didn’t have a fat bike, definitely putting the cart before the horse with that one! It’s not my most used bike by any means but it gets me out and into places that other bikes would struggle with.

tjagain

I found my fatbike great at glentress.  really was great fun.  what its not so good for is the longer xc rides I do – after 30 plus miles on it the effort of pushing those fat sticky tyres wore me out.

scud
    Free Member

Nope, i live in Norfolk so “gnarly” mountain biking is a bit limited, but main two bikes are a gravel bike as it allows me to link all the local bridleways with road sections really well and come up with some inventive routes of 50-60 miles or my fat bike, we have miles of beautiful sandy beaches here and the seals on the coast, and fat bike is perfect for riding on the sand.

Often hold East Anglia rides and get 10-15 people turn up.

It has gone from being something new and weird, to just another style of bike. People used to stop you all the time and ask questions, but not so much anymore as they seem to be used to them.

kerley
    Free Member

Take up and interest has plateaued at a low level, so the slow death has already begun.

Think you may not be understanding what plateau means 🙂

dovebiker

I still have mine and no plans of it’s imminent demise – haters gonna hate, just that they’ve focused their ire more on gravel bikes, or any other format that doesn’t meet their notion of what a ‘mountain bike’ should be, particularly as IMO the fat bike is probably the most capable bike for all-day rides in natural terrain.

legend
    Free Member

what its not so good for is the longer xc rides I do – after 30 plus miles on it the effort of pushing those fat sticky tyres wore me out.

particularly as IMO the fat bike is probably the most capable bike for all-day rides in natural terrain.

Can on fanbois, get your party line sorted!

therealthing
    Free Member

Think you may not be understanding what plateau means

Fat bike owner then?  Thought you might be happy that it is becoming more niche.  Surely that’s the main appeal for many owners?

It’s a pretty simple term, but by all means enlighten me?  Quite happy to explain what I meant in simpler terms if you misunderstood it 🙂

Tell you what, you go ahead and tell me what you think I meant, and then I’ll correct you.  Can’t say fairer than that.

PS.  I don’t have any particular ‘like’ or ‘hate’ for fat bikes, just calling it like I see it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the hype and bandwagon may have been and gone – the quick money has been made by duping the curious and the gullible  – but doesnt mean they aint still good fun.

Fat bike owner and happy – winter is nearly here …. mines was out for a pre winter warm up spin last weekend – surprisngly due to the fact its a hub geared hardtail with ceramic/stainless bearings where possible it still runs like it did when i hung it up in the spring.

tjagain

legend – I suspect the difference is in how many miles.  After 30+ miles I found it tiring – much more so than my hardtail.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

fat bikes: yes – the hype is over.

But: nice niche. Where I live the fat bike is used in winter / snow conditions – but there are not too many bikers out in the winter.

I love to bike in winter time. For the manufacturers it’s a very small market so.

In summer time other types of bikes are faster and more fun? Close to NO fat bikes in summer time around any more.

Mugboo

I think the reason I love mine is that it feels so different to my Rocket. We all spend 2/3rds of the year going flat out on very capable trail bikes, its nice to chill out on the fatty, it genuinely makes me smile, surely that’s a win 🙂

As I say, my conversion rate is 100% for those that try mine and every one of them rides a big fast enduroweapon too.

Anyway, I’m off for an adventure on my gravel bike 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Have fat bikes run their course?’ is closed to new replies.