Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone stripped the laquer off their carbon components and reapplied a fresh
  • Yet1man

Hi. I've recently acquired a set of FSA K force carbon bars but the clear laquer is a bit worn/peeling and me being the perfectionist I am would like them to be as near as perfect before fitting them. (plus maybe change the decals to the newer design ones, while the laquer is removed ;0)

Has anyone done this and or applied fresh laquer and if so how did you do it, i.e. wet and dry or paint stripper (does this damage carbon ?) and what laquer did you use when reapplying it, is normal car paint clear laquer ok ?

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Michael

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Why didn't you just buy new, that's a lot of faff even if it is possible.

wwaswas

keep a gentle touch with an angle grinder and you'll be fine.

just out of interest – why would a perfectionist buy secondhand, cosmetically damaged, kit?

Yet1man

Because I'm a tight a**e ! But also enjoy playing with things like this, (plus I was given the bars ;0)

Bream
    Free Member

Whilst applying the clear coat to Koenigsegg's, or carrying out a repair, it's simply a job to sand down and re-apply. Paint stripper may cause big problems if it gets into the weave etc. As for what laquer, you just need a flexible car laquer, something like the use on plastics, will be fine 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I really wouldn't, carbon's prety resiliant but any chemical is likely to destroy the resin. And if they're that messed up maybe they shouldnt be being used? They were given away free for a reason maybe?

letmetalktomark

After just seeing this I wouldn't be happy using any carbon bars…..but then I am a luddite at heart 🙂

>> Eeek!

convert

Did it to a set of carbon cranks. Put them in a grit blaster (got access to nice toys) with a fine grit. Touched them up here and there with wet and dry then used 2 pack clear coat to bring them back up. 2 pack is great and much tougher than the DIY cellulose stuff but a pro setup only product. Wet n Dry and cellulose lacquer should see you fine though.

Daffy

Looks like he ovetightened the shifter clamp IMO ^^^

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ever seen a snaped pair of aluminium bars? There's sharp edges and everything……………

convert

To be fair carbon splinters are a pita too. I got one in my thumb when I was laying up up a bit of carbon and couldn't get the bugger out. Next seen 3 weeks later when it worked it's way through my thumb and appeared under my nail!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone stripped the laquer off their carbon components and reapplied a fresh’ is closed to new replies.