Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Has anyone been to The Gambia on holiday?!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. Specifically in the wet season ?

:-/

Ta

hilldodger
    Free Member

Had a job that involved working in Banjul during rainy seasons. Rain was mainly at night in the form of heavy but short downpours.
    Daytime was OK, high 20’s and not too humid.
    When I went (90’s) it was a lovely country to visit,no idea of the social/political situation now as I no longer work in that field.

yunki
    Free Member

I had a girlfriend in the late 90s that went.. She had a great time and enjoyed Banjul immensely..

She brought me back an ace Djembe drum.. a wooden carving.. some foul smelling cocoa butter type substance for use in the hair and genital herpes..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it’s the resort (sort of) of Kololi that we’re considering for a last minute honeymoon!

jam-bo

I sailed out of Banjul once. I found abject poverty alongside five star hotels with gated compounds a strange mix.

RichJJ
    Free Member

We went about 12 years ago before the kids and I would absolutely go again, without the kids, too many jabs, yellow fever etc etc. We did however go in Feb so not the rainy season so cant help you there. £5 to the barman got me the best service I have ever seen for a week including chilled glasses and beer before I even knew I wanted one, loved it !! Food was also good and everything was cheap.

nicko74

and genital herpes..

How sweet – sounds like she thought of everything!

yunki
    Free Member

it’s the gift that keeps on giving..

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

From what I understand, May to November can be very wet & humid.Village roads can get unpassable if you intend getting out of the resort. Have stayed in Kololi in Jan/April & it’s been cracking. A good clue to time to go is the amount of flights that go there at various times-they drop drastically (along with the price of the holiday)outof season.

takisawa2

We have an apartment there, near Sennagambia. We wouldn’t go this time of year, but the Germans & Dutch seem to like it. Mozzie rep is your friend during the rains.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Watching the Vulture feeding at The Senegmbia (I think) was fascinating!! Have to agree with the 5 star/poverty thing but The Gambia is not alone in this unfortunately.

project
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member
    .. Specifically in the wet season ?
    :-/
    Ta
    Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Post
    RopeyReignRider – Member
    Cheers guys, it’s the resort (sort of) of Kololi that we’re considering for a last minute honeymoon!

Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Post

Honeymoon, rain ,holiday away from home, just stay in the hotel room and make your own enjoymnet or little Reigns.

donald
    Free Member

Be prepared for an unbelievable amount of hassle from the local touts.

spacemonkey

My mate’s gf is Gambian and they spend 3-4 weeks/yr over there. He loves it. But I guess she knows where to go and what to do/what not to do etc. Apparently her family are bonkers – that’s what he kept on about last summer IIRC.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Went there several years ago to help build a medical centre, and would never go back. We went in the wet season and most of the roads were virtually impassable. I think we got through 3 or 4 truck/jeeps in the fortnight we were there.

When we were there we only saw about 2 or 3 tarmac roads, but saw loads of Mercs and BMWs which was slightly weird, but the contrast in wealth within the country was appalling.

The hassle we got was quite staggering and started the minute we got off the plane. It was anything from machetes being waved in peoples faces to ‘please set up a standing order to my account’. Get used to being called two-bob everywhere you go and kids begging the moment you get out of your transport. I have never been so glad to get on a plane as I was at the end of our trip there…and I hate flying!

Having said all that, it is one of the poorest countries in the world, has lost its main export and is very reliant on foreign aid; to the point where it seemed to have developed a dependancy culture, so things are never going to be ‘normal’. We saw a couple of inspring projects and met some very lovely and generous people.

I know people who go back year after year but, for me, and many of the young people we went with, it was one tough trip.

bruk

Lightning storms are spectacular but the roads can get pretty ropey out of town.

The most shocking thing was the older european women who go out there to catch a young gambian male or Bumsters. Not a pretty sight and they will hit on anything even if you are standing beside your (gorgeous I’m sure) wife at the time.

We went up country and it was much more pleasant. The bird life (feathered variety) was fantastic.

We were working with an animal charity that also helps the local villages and the local people and kids were great.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well it sounds interesting if nothing else!

I may have possibly just booked it, maybe.

Oh well, as I say it is our honeymoon so if nothing else we have a nice hotel room 😀

bruk

If you do go and get a chance to head up river go for it as it is much nicer.

We had a great time out there though operating on a dog on somebody’s kitchen table in the backyard while they all sit about watching is slightly odd.

takisawa2

The Crocodile Pool (Katchakili I think its called) is ok, but if you do nothing else rent a taxi-driver with a jeep & head to the mangroves for a boat trip.
    We were married there, in the grounds of the Sennagambia. The hotel staff did a brilliant job, especially the gardner who decorated the whole place with fresh flowers. The maid even baked us a cake.
    Some of the comments above are a little unfair, Tunisia is loads worse. The Gambia was a british colony till the 60’s. There are bumsters, but we’ve never had any bother & our apartment is in a village about half a km from the beach.

project
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member
    Well it sounds interesting if nothing else!

I may have possibly just booked it, maybe.

Oh well, as I say it is our honeymoon so if nothing else we have a nice hotel room

Posted 17 hours ago # Report-Post
    Never thought of staying in the uk, and donating the money you would have spent on a holidy,/honeymoon to the charities that help foreigners.

Theres nice places to stay in the Peak District and Wales, and if you want rain try Scotlandshire.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been to The Gambia on holiday?!’ is closed to new replies.