Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Has anybody (else) ridden a Gyro and a Five29
  • roverpig

I’ve read Northwind’s excellent musings on this topic and understand his conclusion that the Gyro is largely pointless now that the Five29 is here. I’ve also heard lots of positive things from Gyro owners, as you’d expect. But I just wondered if anybody (other than Northwind) had actually ridden them both and cared to share their thoughts.

roverpig

I guess that’s a no then 🙂

catvet
    Free Member

Yep ridden both, Gyro is Xc/trail bike relatively speaking, the 29 er Five quite a lot more aggro, some feel there is quite a lot of swing arm flex, not noticed it myself.
    Both very competent, the Five 29 er needs good brakes as it does go very fast when pointed downhill !!
    I felt far more secure on the Five 29 on the DH run at Cym Carn
    My belief is that in either case spend on good stiff strong wheel sets are a primary requirement probably carbon in order to get the best out of either.
    In my opinion the 650 Five is a better all round bike than the Gyro, the Five 29 er is a big strong fast bike, and needs to be treated as such!!

jonk

I own a gyro and have ridden a five29 and i own an alpine. The gyro is a fast trail bike which climbs much better than the five29 due to head angle. I am faster on trail centre downhills than on my alpine!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Yep I have ridden them both and agree with cat vets comments above, the 29five easily the fastest bike i have ridden on the Techy Borrowdale bash, and the Gyro feels like a better trail centre bike,The Gyro climbs much better and for me would be the choice as an all rounder..

roverpig

Thanks folks. That all sounds a bit more positive for the Gyro. It still feels to me as though it’s a bit outdated now the 650B and 29er Fives are here. Both of those have forward shifted seat tubes, for example. If they did that for the Gyro they could shorten the chainstays a bit and presumably make it a bit more “fun”.

davefarmer
    Free Member

I agree that the Gyro is a ripper on trail centre, and flowy wooded single tracks.

Five29 is a monster, can be ridden very aggressively, and more compares to an alpine160 in genre.

Very very different bikes, and neither conflict with the five (27.5) in terms of ride feel.

I love 29rs personally, and would/will have a gyro and a five29 at some point. I am half way there:)

catvet
    Free Member

Roverpig

mail me off line as may have something of interest for you
    phwill77atgmaildotcom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody (else) ridden a Gyro and a Five29’ is closed to new replies.