Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Hardtail or full suss?
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

says the nerve has anti-squat suspension – however it doesn’t use the short-links of other anti-squat designs so I wonder whether it is just marketing – it could be horst link though as it they probably only sell in Europe.

would be somewhat advisable to find one to ride if possible in case you don’t like the suspension.

Wozza
    Free Member

£650, Sorted.

Linky

And you’ll still have enough to upgrade the forks on your Spesh.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I read somewhere that they use a rear design that Specialized do. They get away with it because the patent doesnt cover Europe.

Does that make sense?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I did look at that Santa Cruz. How do those forks compare with Rebas?

rs
    Free Member

I just picked up a dirt cheap mongoose teocali elite from a website called giantnerd (weird name i know) in the states, $1000 for a full suss bike with very decent kit, reduced from $2500 or thereabouts, they have some other mongooses and gt’s from last year at ridiculous prices. Not sure how much shipping will be to the UK, it was $90 to Canada.

Wozza
    Free Member

Last set of bombers I used were z4s and mx comps, from what I remember they were pretty good, took a pounding and never needed fixing. That’s not to say they’ll be the same, but at that price you could give them a go, if they’re not great, still have enough left over to stick a reba on it even if you bought that new. Mind you 9mm QR, 120mm dual air rebas show up all the time in the classifieds.

Consider that Superlight for a test if suss is for you. If it’s not you’d be able to sell it on for the same price I reckon. I’d be buying it if I didn’t have a full suss and a hardtail already.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I might just contact the seller. I am wary of spending that amount on a forum. Not that I have any reason not to trust the seller!!!!

DIS

Two Nerve XC frames on ebay at the moment, small and medium, might be worth a look if you have not already. However if this is your bike for the next five years then make sure you factor in increased cost due to pivots and rear shox if you do decide to go down the FS route, especially if the bike gets lots of use.

bigbloke
    Free Member

If i had around a grand to spend on a hardtail i would give this a serious look…….

http://online.atb-sales.co.uk/p-923-brand-new-whyte-custom-build-trail-ht-medium.aspx

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I read somewhere that they use a rear design that Specialized do. They get away with it because the patent doesnt cover Europe.

that’s the Horst link.

It will squat into its travel, unlike their description – you should ride a horst link bike to see if you like it ok – if your pedalling action is very good and spinny you might.

After being a long term HT user I tried a superlight at the same time as a giant and a turner, but I felt the single-pivot suspension as very lossy compared to a HT, whereas the giant and the turner were not.

So again, you need to ride it to see.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

bobbyg – If you want a shot on a med Nerve – drop me a mail. I’m not that far away.

On the other hand – for one bike for 5 years with a missus etc – that’s a tough one (I’m joining your 2 threads here). If I had to make that choice – it would be a hardtail – something like my Whyte 19. Someone linked to a great spec Whyte – only it has a fox fork that personally is a no no for me.

It’s all pluses and minuses. In a way you’re lucky to have this choice now (fortunately choices tend to return after a few years).

email in profile.

#Edit – there are lots of non mainstream HTs that will bring a grin to your chops long after the memory of paying for them has worn off. Get something you WANT! 😉

The-Duke

Bobby, have you been out with any of the local clubs? I ride with the mukyriderz in Glenrothes and I’m sure the guys would swap bikes with you during a ride, might be a good way to try a few different bikes at the same time. There’s usually a group ride at 9.30 on Sunday from the lomond centre in Glenrothes

dryroasted
    Free Member

Last year i bought a santa cruz heckler frame 2011 from here for £500 ,, and swapped all the parts from my boardman pro ht, really love the bike i have created and its just so much fun to ride, now i just keep adding differnt parts depending on how my riding progresses

slinkybike
    Free Member

HT vs FS I work on other peoples bikes all week and I ride hard tails out of lack of time and energy to keep a FS running at the Ievel I want, that and the trails where I live are easily rideable on either bike. So if it was me I what ask myself do I have the time and money and or skills to keep a FS running your adding a whole lot more bearings and a rear shock into your maintances program. Without trying to start a side debate I have just bought a ninner emd and beside being less nimble in tight singletrack it rides like soft tail in the extra grip and cush it provides.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Bobby, I’m local to you. 5 minutes from middleden. Get in touch and you can have a ride on my hardtail..

Jim

ianwilly
    Free Member

I would go for the hardtail every time. Although i do have one of each, i do find for a lot of the time the hardtail is more than adequate, but it does depend on what you are doing.

I did a full season of enduros last year on a hardtail and to get a bit of squish i used a Cane Creek Thudbuster and cant recommend them enough. They take a little getting used to but once you do they are great. They really take the discomfort out and allow you to sit down more, almost the best of both worlds.

I am never gonna say it will be as good as full suspension, but for a compromise, it doesn’t get any better.

gaberin
    Free Member

Get a used full sus off the classifieds, get it for a good deal, then if you don’t like it just sell it again. 😀

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I just noticed the posts on this thread.

Many thanks for the offers of bike rides but Ive ended up gping for a Blue Pig with RS Sektors and SLX groupset. It looks like it will be a fun bike to ride!

If you see a numpty falling off a bright orange hardtail around Kirkcaldy, it will probably be me!

muddyground
    Free Member

Muddy Ground

bobbyg81 – for what it is worth I think you made a great choice there. Somebody early on suggested a Klein Mantra; I’ve got one and they are pretty horrid bikes now, so best avoided [unless you spot mine on eBay soon and want it, in which case what a fine retro ride!]. May I suggest you go on some kind of mountain bike course to get the best from the bike? It’d be £60 well spent. These days they’re not really designed for newbies, but riders who’ve been out and about for years and have gotten into bad habits.

Good luck with the bike and happy riding!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail or full suss?’ is closed to new replies.