Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hardcore hardtail with 30.9 seat tube
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

can anyone name me a good hardtail with 30.9 seatube for my dropper post other than Ragley since there never in stock !!!!

fasthaggis
    jockhaggis
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon

GrahamA
    Free Member

I’m considering a Whyte 19 Alloy, does a 120mm count as hardcore or were you thinking of something with more travel?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

how harsh is the SC chameleon ?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I forgot about whyte 120 is fine TBH

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s that harsh. I had a Scandal before it and can’t really feel any difference.

Never ridden steel so no idea how it compares.

Loads of people think they are harsh though.

It’s such a great frame though, enjoying it more than my Heckler at the moment.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Utterly arse-destroyingly. Like, borderline unrideable.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I really want a Ragley piglet but nowhere in stock !!!

RealMan
    Free Member

I find this the most irritating question ever, about any hardtail.

They’re hardtails. As in, hard, tail. No suspension. Besides, it’s mountain biking, it’s not reading a book in a comfy chair by a fireplace.

But anyway, I’ve ridden my santa cruz all week every day for 5, 6 hours a day (or more), and had no problems at all.

RealMan
    Free Member

Seriously, harsh??? It’s a hardtail. It’s mountain biking. How different can one be to the other when you’re popping off a drop or going over a bunch of rocks or roots or something? Besides, if you’re sitting down on a descent you’re kind of doing it wrong.

GW
    Free Member

WTFs hardcore about a hardtail with too long forks and a rider who worries about the rear end being harsh?

spesh bikes are all 30.9 and most Giants are too.

RealMan
    Free Member

Thank you!

Ok I’m calm now. 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

My Marin Rocky Ridge is awesome and 30.9

Northwind

Older BFes have a 30.9 seat-tube.

RealMan – Member

How different can one be to the other when you’re popping off a drop or going over a bunch of rocks or roots or something?

Enormously different tbh. I couldn’t care less about stiffness when riding seated, it’s not a comfort thing… but my Mmmbop just didn’t want to keep the rear wheel on the ground or pointing in the same direction as the front, show it a rock and it’d bounce off it in whatever direction it felt like. Whereas my Soul and my C456 both have a little compliance, just a wee bit of ability to react without kicking off things.

nuke

You might be able to change the outer sleeve depending on the dropper post. With my Joplin it’s just a 10 minute job changing the sleeve from 30.9mm to 31.6mm or vice versa.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

This is what you need:

Super Tough Perfection

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

WTFs hardcore about a hardtail with too long forks and a rider who worries about the rear end being harsh?

😆

rob2
    Free Member

Chumba hx1.

Frigging brilliant. Probably better than my chameleon.

bedmaker

2 Souls Quarterhorse.

RealMan
    Free Member

but my Mmmbop just didn’t want to keep the rear wheel on the ground or pointing in the same direction as the front, show it a rock and it’d bounce off it in whatever direction it felt like. Whereas my Soul and my C456 both have a little compliance, just a wee bit of ability to react without kicking off things.

I’d put that down to other things though, like angles, position, weight. I definitely wouldn’t say the rear ends a bit skittery because the seat stays are a bit too stiff or whatever.

takisawa2

How different can one be to the other

Quite a bit if my old Zaskar is anything to go by.

Fair point though, a Chameleon isnt the kind of bike for miles spent in the saddle. I had a Pace 303 when they came out, that had a 31.6 post (IIRC), & whilst it was pretty harsh, the riding position was such that 2hrs was about the limit. For those 2 hours though it was one hell of a blast, & I reckon a Chameleon would be pretty simillar.

RealMan
    Free Member

a Chameleon isnt the kind of bike for miles spent in the saddle.

But anyway, I’ve ridden my santa cruz all week every day for 5, 6 hours a day (or more), and had no problems at all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Like wise, Ive ridden my Cotic BFe (another supposedly uncomfy frame) for hours at a time. No issues here. Saying that, I dont use too long forks either. Perhaps theres a correlation, people who use too long forks also suffer very bad backs?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore hardtail with 30.9 seat tube’ is closed to new replies.