Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Hard-tail advice – NOT hardcore
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My next hardtail will be a Sanderson – I’m impressed you got the 853 tubes flexing ‘Spoon.

They’re mahoosively flexy! “steel is real” and all that jazz, the only frame i’ve ridden that was flexier was a steel SUNN XC frame from the 90’s that weighed about 1500g/3.3lb! Although the 456 that preceeded the sanderson was just heavy and tough with a slight dull feeling rather than the flexy zing of the sanderson, different reasons for using steel i suppose. Latest hardtail is a Chumba HX1, hopeing for the stiffness of the 456 with the urgency of my old CAAD F’series.

Kryton57

Enigma Ego, Steel or Ti. I have the Ti with 100mm RS SID fork, AC Wheels and 2012 XT – 22lbs.

Or if you really want to be the envy of STWers everwhere, there’s this;

ego_29r_1

http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike/bike-enigma-ego29er-st.html

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ooh that’s nice

EDIT just seen price 😯

chiefgrooveguru

Mr Tortoise, with an appropriately spec’d Soul, unless you’re approaching a DH race mix of terrain and speed, a FS will be pretty much redundant! 😉 You’d have to do some bargain hunting to make the £1500 budget but mine is quite bling (in a stealthy manner).

Scamper
    Free Member

Seems the difference in weight between mine and CGG’s Soul is his dropper post. Quick check in my head and my build is circa £1700, if i’d used totally new parts that is.

Northwind

nedrapier – Member

What the frame weight on an R8?

It’s a secret :mrgreen: Which I reckon means just as heavy or heavier than a Soul, despite having similiar construction and less capability and being more expensive 😉

Still, Bike-Scene still has them at £270, which is definately worth a look, if that’s an option for the OP.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mr Tortoise, with an appropriately spec’d Soul, unless you’re approaching a DH race mix of terrain and speed, a FS will be pretty much redundant!

I’ve never subscribed to this belief since I’m a strong believer that a full susser can offer advantages over a HT on the ups and the alongs. It’s not all about “will this bike let me ride DOWN here?” If I could only have one bike it would be a HT, but if I could only have one bike it would probably also be rigid.

…I do really love your bike tho’ 🙂

bigad40
    Free Member

Genesis do some cool hard tails.

swingbing
    Free Member

@Scamper Seems your bike’s lost weight recently? Where’s the gravity gone since you correctly guessed the weight of mine at 26lbs? Lightweight summer tyres?

bradleyf
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sanderson Breath and a Soloist in the past before my bespoke Curtis,they are great for the price and I don’t think you’ll be disapointed with one.However don’t take the weights they list on the site as accurate my 16″ Soloist weighed a tad under a pound more than listed I was pretty gutted to be honest with you i know a few others over the internet that have discovered the same thing.

ampthill

All steels (the material not a particular tube or frame) are basicaly the same stiffness.

In general stronger steel built into a lighter frame will be less stiff, simply as youhave less metal. Assuming all other factors like tube diamter are the same…

fattyre500
    Free Member

You can pick up an Orange R8 frame for £270 now? That’s a bargain for an 853 frame if you ask me.
    I think you can find the weight for the R8 frame on the orange website.

fattyre500
    Free Member

OOPS!! sorry guys it’s no longer on the orange site but it still exists in the pages of Retrobike where someone plucked it out a while back.
    Anyhoo its claimed weight was 2.4kg with the quick release seatclamp so thats 5.29lbs.Not sure what frame size that is 🙄

superfli
    Free Member

Rock lobster853? Mine with f120 xt group set and a lightweight seatpost/saddle is sub 27lb 3×10. It certainly feels light.

catvet
    Free Member

scamper
    would agree my Soul 17.5″ 9 speed, light rims carbon bars xt cranks hope mini brakes tubeless is 23.7 lbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Hard-tail advice – NOT hardcore’ is closed to new replies.