Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Handy tip for those with TRP Hy/Rd brakes….pads
  • flange
    Free Member

Yesterday on the way to work my brakes stopped working, which is nice when you’re riding through London with everyone and thing trying to kill you. Anyway, turns out the pads were toast both front and rear, front went first then not long after the rear packed up.

Running round the shops at lunch to try to find some pads, I couldn’t find anywhere that did TRP. However it turns out that shimano BR-M525 (code name B01S) pads fit a treat and not only that, they improve the braking by roughly 100000.24%. And they’re a tenner an end.

Win

True story bro…

JoB
    Free Member

also handily mentioned on the TRP HyRd webpage 🙂

“TRP’s own semi-metallic pad that is Shimano M525/M515 compatible allowing for further customization”

flange
    Free Member

Ha! Yes, I realise this now having perused the web to find that shimano will fit. However at the time I thought the world was ending and wondering if the braking properties of a pair of DMT road shoes would stand up to stopping my fat arse as I ‘Fred Flintstoned’ it..

What TRP doesn’t mention is that the shimano pads are a billion times better than the crap ones fitted OEM. Which obviously they won’t….

EDIT: And I’m a man and therefore instructions are an affront to my manliness….

essexbiker
    Free Member

That’s timely as looking to change pads on my GT Grade. Where’s the current go-to place for pads these days?

singletracksurfer
    Sandwich

I read that the improvement was 100000.37%. Other than that, as you were!

qwerty
    Free Member

Any idea if the Shimano pads fit TRP SpyreC ?

nbt

Yes they do fit Spyre brakes:)

leffeboy

Yep, that’s what I normally use on Spyres

flange
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I’m getting a bit sick and tired of disc brakes on road bikes – 9/10 times, any issues with my commuters is a result of a problem with the brakes. I’ve got the full hydro Shimano ones on one bike, and the TRP’s on the Grade and they’re both a pain in the arse. And its not like they’re really any more powerful – admittedly the TRP’s are better now with proper pads in but they’re still a bit inconsistent compared to say duel pivot Ultegra’s.

So far this year, I’ve done 1200 odd miles on my fixed (rim brakes) and had no issues. I’ve done 300 miles on the Grade and so far I’ve had to change the cable housing twice, bleed them (what a pain in the arse) and now the pads. Ok, I’m braking a bit less on the fixed but even so, I’m not sure I’ll bother again. Fortunately being London it’ll get nicked shortly and I can replace it with a nice fixed gear rim braked number…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Handy tip for those with TRP Hy/Rd brakes….pads’ is closed to new replies.