Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Handlebar Options for XC Duties
  • jfab

Looking to replace the 3T Carbon Flat Bars on my Yeti ARC because I don’t get on with the shape, I’m not 100% but I think it’s due to the lack of any backsweep (3 degrees) more than the height/width as it’s wrist position that seems to be the issue.

Any recommendations for a flat-ish, light-ish XC bar? I noticed quite a few are around 8-10 degree sweep which I expect feels a bit more natural? No particular need/want to go carbon but not averse to spending a little bit of cash for something nice.

Current favourite option is one of the USE Rip bars (Alu or Carbon) as I’ve been impressed with their seatposts but open to options! Normally run 740mm, I think current bars are 720mm but with the grips moved slightly outboard to make up the difference.

Pic for context because, well… I love it!

Yeti 3

stanley

I like the Ergon ‘bars with the extra sweep. 12 or 16 degrees iirc. Various height options. Might splash out on the carbon version for my next xc bike.

I’ve got Ritchey Trails on my Kona – 9° backsweep

2024-01-03_07-43-15

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Prime XC Carbons on mine, and they’re ace. Not much use given you can’t get them anymore!

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve got Ritchey WCS flat aluminium bars, they weigh much more than claimed but I find them comfortable.

Some flat bars now come in + or – 5mm so flipping the bar can add or loose 10mm if that’s of any use to you.

jfab

Thanks, I’ve always liked Ritchey parts and heard nothing but good things about Ergon so I’ll have a trawl through the options and maybe see what’s available on sale/relatively cheap to trial before splashing out.

I think around 8-12 degrees would be a good middle ground, I went to swept back on my rigid bike and it made it feel very relaxed/lazy.

nuke

I’ve got Prime XC Carbons on mine, and they’re ace. Not much use given you can’t get them anymore!

Yep, they were a bargain in the fire sale. Can still be had:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375440380753?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=N4BHDvq7S_a&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=82iGSL0WRPG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OPs bike looks like its got the rear suspension bottomed out, yet hasnt got rear suspension….probably just me 🙃

dawson

I have the USE RIP bar in Alu on my Singlespeed – no issues over the past 2 years

qwerty
    Free Member

Salsa tend to have a good selection of handlebars so might be worth a look.

scotroutes

I scored a Thomson 23 degree backsweep bar off the STW Classifieds and find it just about perfect for XC riding. Teamed up with some Cane Creek Ergo bar ends.

andrewh
    Free Member

Mt Zoom do a 9deg 760mm one, they seem to be the default choice for 24hr racers. 130ish grams and plenty strong enough.

I’ve got the 6deg version on my XC bike and it’s been faultless

jonnyrockymountain

Use Carbon Rip2 currently in stock on there website £115.00 770 wide flat and 8 deg back sweep

OPs bike looks like its got the rear suspension bottomed out, yet hasnt got rear suspension….probably just me

Phone cameras innit. Mine makes my wheels look odd if I don’t get the right angle

Tom-B
    Free Member

Are those Ritchey bars alloy? What width….I could well be up for some new bars myself. Still running whatever stock bars came on my 2013 vintage Trance x29er…..I feel like something wider could be the order of the day!

Are those Ritchey bars alloy? What width….I could well be up for some new bars myself

Yes. Think these come in 780 & 800 – not sure which these are, probably 800 knowing me, will check tomorrow.

They are the cheaper ‘comp’, rather than the wcs – think the wcs come in 760 & 780

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m thinking 760 would be better for my skinny none shoulders! Could cut down I suppose.

rOcKeTdOg

I resisted a stooge moto bar for ages even when loads of people suggested them. Finally splashed some £ and those people were actually right. Lovely backsweep and I’ve not even cut them down from 800mm. Now a permanent fixture on my XC hardtail

schmiken

I run OneUp bars on mine – they are 35mm but they are awesome.

minus
    Free Member

If you have any photos of you riding then I’d suggest taking a look at your hands and wrists in them. I find that when I do that, the angles of my hands and wrists give quite a good indication of what I need to change.

ratadog

SQLab 30X comes in 12 and 16 degree back sweep and 3 heights.

I’m thinking 760 would be better for my skinny none shoulders! Could cut down I suppose.

Checked yesterday and they appear to be 760mm

I resisted a stooge moto bar for ages even when loads of people suggested them. Finally splashed some £ and those people were actually right. Lovely backsweep and I’ve not even cut them down from 800mm. Now a permanent fixture on my XC hardtail

I can concur – lovely bar. I’ve not used them in anger, but on local pootling about runs they feel so natural

nicko74

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR
    I’ve got Ritchey Trails on my Kona – 9° backsweep

That looks like a gorgeous bike; is it an original steel Lava Dome? How do you have it set up – and have you had any difficulties getting old sizes of things (26″ wheels etc)?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have been using some Mt Zoom.

They are carbon,760mm width and have about a 10mm rise.

Love em,very light and not silly price (just over £100 being carbon)

Been on my hard tail for a year or two but recently transferred to my Cotic Flaremax ‘Downcountry ‘ special.

Used this brand for a number of years and have no problems with quality or service.

Thanks Max.

That looks like a gorgeous bike; is it an original steel Lava Dome? How do you have it set up – and have you had any difficulties getting old sizes of things (26″ wheels etc)?

Cheers. Yeah ’97 – bought brand new. Unfortunately not much of a retro build on it though. I hate the blueish chainset – keep meaning to look out for an old black and chrome LX or XT one. Wheels are some heavy cheap things I bought from an LBS years ago. And regrettably I sold the original P2 forks some time ago too.

One day I’ll maybe decide to try a full retro original spec build is I can source the parts. For now though, it’s relegated to pub duties. I’ll never sell it though

Posted many times before, so apologies to others that are sick of seeing it

2024-01-03_07-42-49

nicko74

Nice! It’s starting to get to a point where finding parts for my Soda (only 10 years newer than the Lava Dome!) isn’t as easy as it was, just because standards have moved on. Hunting around for lightly used secondhand bits seems to be the way forward!

Kuco

I use Ritchey carbon WCS. I’ve had them on several bikes. not cheap but i’ve normally got them in a sale.

Pyro

I have a set of the Alpkit/Sonder Scope bars, 15° sweep, on my Yeti Big Top. Look a bit funky but definitely helped with some wrist issues and weren’t super expensive for an experiment

lovewookie

I have a couple of carbon flat bars I’m not using but not got around to listing.

Both new and unused.

One is a prime xc 780mm with 9deg sweep, still boxed.

Other is a FSA SL-K 740, also about 9 Deg sweep.

Both 31.8 clamp size.

Message if interested.

bikesandboots

I think around 8-12 degrees would be a good middle ground

It’s all very personal. For me on suspension fork, 9 is a lot better than 8, and 10 is a little bit better still. On a rigid MTB I tried 12 and it was painful with the outer rear edges of the bars putting pressure on my hands.

NormalMan

I’m running farbar lites on my ARC. The 10mm rise ones. They have (quoting Renthal site):

7° back sweep / 5° up sweep

I am also a fan of the gold but that’s just personal opinion / preference

elray89
    Free Member

Echoing others here:

I have Ritchey WCS +/- 5 degree bars on mine cut to 720mm, there is a decent enough amount of back-sweep at least with how I have them set up. I really like them, they’re alloy but they weirdly look and feel like carbon to touch and in stiffness. Very comfy position for me at least whilst still being “flat” XC bars.

Another nice point is that the clamping point has a strip of textured paint around it, which adds some nice friction for fitting easier. They look tekkers and racy as well.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.