Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Handlebar mounts for phones?
  • cste
    Free Member

Anyone come across any waterproof mounts to carry a mobile ( HTC one s ) ? I’m wanting to use it for mapping and navigation etc.

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

We sell the topeak one, seems pretty good though I don’t know about what else is out there.

annebr
    Free Member

I have a Topeak one for my iPhone. I believe they also do the same case for other smart phones.

I’ve not had it tested for waterproofnessbut it seems to work ok in it (touchscreen etc)

It does muck up my cordless computer though if it’s mounted on my handle bars. (the phone not the case obv)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve used the ultimate mobiles one before. You can see it here:

P2030003 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

The first one I had, the plastic screen split on the -15 degC winter ride pictured above, they very kindly replaced it, but the zip has just split on the replacement. It wasn’t totally waterproof anyway, moisture would get in and the warnmth from the phone would cause the screen to mist up.

I’m just waiting for delivery of an ebay special top-tube “tank” bag with a phone holder, to see how that goes, but i am tempted by the topeak one.

There seems to be a lot more choice for iphones, than other models. Easier solution is probably to get a waterproof phone, like the Motorla Defy amd a standard bar mount.

Mackem

Most seem to “feature” a way of rotating the screen. This sounds good but it means there’s a huge ball mount on your bar, looks awful, is far too big. IMO like.

The topeak ones look a bit better but seem to be iphone only.

I’m thinking of one of these and just strapping it to the stem…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0096QO4SS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20Z8273HL5KF

zilog6128

I have used a Biologic one with my iPhone. Worked well, fine in the rain etc.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Blackburn VIP QR for test
    Fits my HTS One S
    Haven’t had a chance to test it yet but will do a full review in due course I expect.
    Similar to this one but without the bezel (ie clear plastic across.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Patrick – I’ve not seen the Blackburn one before. Any chance of a couple of photos of real-world in situ to get a better idea of scale?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Here you go

One issue with the HTC One S and this case is that you can’t access the power button to wake up. Not a problem for me as I have set up the proximity sensor on the front to wake up the phone.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Patrick.
    it looks like an old-school trailquest map-board. Surely it ought to be on a Marin!

cste
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I might have a look at the Topeak drybag 5. Similar to the Blackburn one, but looks like it might be a better fit.

votchy
    Free Member

I have one of the ultimateaddons ones for my galaxy s2, am a little disappointed as it seems to allow water in through the joint between the screen cover and surround which then causes the screen to not work on the phone, nice and robust other than that and has handled several crashes, like the look of the Blackburn one above, nice and simple

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bit of thread revival here, but I’ve just used my top-tube mounted bag for the first time.
    One of these:

Claims to be weatherproof, not waterproof. Cheaper and more stable than a bar mount, keeps the phone a bit more out of harms way and isn’t in line-of-sight, so its not a distraction, especially when riding at night. But its easy to see when you need to glance down for directions. And can carry food too! In short, for £5 its worth a go.

jam-bo

where did you get one for £5?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ebay of course

£4.32 to be precise.

I was a bit unsure how it would fit as I’ve only got a 5mm headset spacer on the road bike, but it was fine. Even on my mtb with slammed stem it was fine. Bit of a clash with the straps from my Jaand frame bag, but it went on and was secure.

votchy
    Free Member

Another update here, the ultimateaddons one I have has just failed in a comedy dismount crash, snapped the bit that clips case to handlebar mount, cant find it as a spare so thats the case buggered now 🙁

TheSanityAssassin

That top tube mounted bag of bandito’s looks a good bet for big days on the road bike. I’ve been thinking about something like this myself after running out of pocket space on Easter Monday’s 163 miler.

cste
    Free Member

I received a Topeak dry bag 5 today, and it fits my HTCOne S perfectly 😀

Anyone know how to set up the phone to turn on by touching the screen?

I can post some pics of the Topeak if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

There are various apps that will do this for you
    I use Smartcover
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smart.cover&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInNtYXJ0LmNvdmVyIl0.
    but there are many other free ones now that I’ve not tried
    eg
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.iiizio.screenwakeup&hl=en

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar mounts for phones?’ is closed to new replies.