• This topic has 55 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by dlr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Hamsterley and Gisburn – any good?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Been invited to Halloween-ish ride around Kielder Water, next Saturday night. Still haven’t decided if I’m going as 3.5h drive for 25miles ride is not exactly very appealing. However if I’ll be able to do some reasonable riding on Sunday might be persuaded.

Not really knowing areas might give a try to Hamsterley or Gisburn on my way back South. Or maybe both of them.

Not massive fan of trail centers but if they are good might settle with such equivalent of MTB take-away 😉

Any input or alternative suggestion welcome.

Cheers!

I.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Hamsterley is well worth a visit. Much more entertaining than Gisburn and more trail choice.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i rode hamsterley on monday if you go i would recommended riding the first half of black and then up the fire road to get the 3 fun segments of red, rather than doing the full red loop as i found it was pretty dull and alot of effort for little gain until you get to the fun bits, namely transmission accelarator and nitrous..

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thank you for the word!

Cheers!

I.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d concur with that, Gisburn’s not bad but there are diversions in place at the mo as well.

minichops
    Free Member

Loads of fantastic cheeky stuff in Hamsterley as well.  And most of it is pretty easy to find.  Lots of trails end or begin on the fireroads linking the black and red trails

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks again.

Will have local-ish guy with me for Hamsterley ride, so might be he knows about some of the cheekies 🙂

Cheers!

I.

RicB

Gisburn used to be fantastic but is getting a bit run down. It’s rocky but in a bad way imo- lots of effort without much fun.

Hamsterley is better in every way. The red/black is a good loop and you can do it twice (90mins round) with a stop at the cafe in between. Cafe does hot food, cakes etc.

Id always cut out the long red loop at the end and just go up the fire road to the top of Transition. There’s another newer bit before Transition but it’s not my thing (table tops, bmx type stuff).

The cheeky stuff is excellent but better if shown; see if you can tag along with a local

edward2000
    Free Member

Which diversions are in place at Gisburn? Looking on strava there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of cheeky either.

kayla1
    Free Member

Hamsters is good fun. Do the three reds (Transmission, Accelerator & Nitrous), or go further up and do K-Line if you want but it’s not that great to be honest, and then go over the bridge and up the other side to pick up Section 13 and Bone Shaker (and the others I can’t remember- Special K? Brain Freeze?) We usually park in the Grove car park and push up to Section 13, then go up to Transmission etc, then back over to Section 13. The red XC bit that goes around the back is as dull as dishwater.

edit- Chopwell’s worth a quick look in as well 🙂

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Ta!

It’s rocky but in a bad way

Might be then my “normal” riding, when every turn is a bit of a struggle, mincing or on the verge of walking 🙂

Chopwell’s worth a quick look in as well

Thanks!

Will ask my mate if he is familiar with that place.

Cheers!

I.

teethgrinder

Assuming you mean the 28th, gimme a shout if you fancy Chopwell. I’m only a few miles away (<5) and ride there loads.

Haven’t decided if this weekend (21st) will be Chopwell or Hamsterley.  You can spend all day riding natural trails in Hammers without even touching the trail centre stuff, and it’s a better place for it.  It’s nee Chopwell, though.

martinhutch

Hamsterley (and I say that as someone who lives 25 minutes from Gisburn).

Do the black, then head over to the start of K-Line, do those sections, then climb up to Section 13 and finish from there.

The back end of the official red is very boring.

Which diversions are in place at Gisburn?

The boardwalk section up from the quarry at the start of Hope Line was shut, but I did see pictures of people levelling some of the climbing bits, so they may have finished by now.

As an afterthought, if you’re staying near Kielder, you are the same driving time from Keswick as you are from Hamsterley, and the Lakes is a lot nearer than Gisburn.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Assuming you mean the 28th

Yes, it is definitely 28/10. Saturday night in Kielder and Sunday to make up for driving time from South Yorks.

Will give you a shout teethgringer !

Cheers!

I.

PS

I’m in Kielder only for night stroll, staying at my friend’s place in Consett, so going back north, or going Lakes is rather not ideal. I do like Lakes A LOT though.

martinhutch

Hamsterley sounds ideal then. Gisburn would be well over two hours from you, and the extra driving would most definitely not be rewarded.

pothead
    Free Member

Hamsterley is defo worth a visit if you’re passing, as a few have already said avoid the official red route as there’s a lot of pointless fireroad climbing that can easily be missed out if you know how. Start on black from visitor centre until you reach a small bridge with the end of the nitrous trail on the right afterwards,  then up to the K line and finish on the rest of the red. Loads of cheeky trails, some are easy to find, some pretty hard to find, most of it is on Strava. There’s also Danny Harts bike park although it’s pay to ride and full face helmet only, uplifts run pretty much every Sat / Sunday but I’d book in advance. Probably 50 / 50 between dh and trail bikes these days, bikes and full face lids can be hired at the bike park cabin

IvanMTB
    Free Member

It is definitely the closest one to Consett, but want to pack as much riding into one day as possible. Will need to get back south by the end of the day so wandering left or right on the way back is still acceptable.

Cheers!

I.

joemmo
    Free Member

The bike park at Hamsterley can be worth adding in to a day out. As well as the main DH line (which takes most of the traffic) there’s the 4x track which is a hoot (even if you’re crap at jumping like me, it’s quite forgiving) and also some good rooty trails that seem rarely used. £7 to sign in, full face obligatory on the DH section but I think trail lids ok on 4x and in the woods.

As for the rest – ignore the top end of red as mentioned but don’t miss K-Line and the triple red run. Black has some good sections but some grind in between.

As for Chopwell – I love it as a quick local option but not sure I’d go massively out of my way for it.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Gisburn is great but I’d say hammers, try the Hamsterley Riders FB group for trolling and to potentially find an off piste guide or 2 😉

Also…you said you were staying in Consett so…..

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=70#TrailNumber348

IvanMTB
    Free Member

One more idea, slightly more like my type of riding. Remember seeing, probably even here, article/post (?) about Niedderdale riding. Seems to be unable to trace it though…

Cheers!

I.

PS

Very interesting suggestion jainthedotz

joemmo
    Free Member

the ride that jointhedotz posted is a good one but I’d do the section west of edmudbyers both ways as its more entertaining than the road past the reservoir. Like this: https://www.relive.cc/view/1681464013

Nothing at all technical about it but hopefully it’s still not too boggy. You’ll probably not meet another soul so it’s good for some peace and quiet!

martinhutch

Niedderdale riding

Nidderdale is very much an XC loop. Great views, decent enough but ‘mild thrills only’. I can point you in the right direction if required. If you’re looking for a loop on the east side of the Pennines, I’d go to Reeth in Swaledale.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you’re going with a local then Hamsterley is great, he’ll know the off piste sections, try Beehives, the Wall Line and Doctors gate. You can fit them in with the black/red combo that misses out the tedium of the start of the red.

Something like this (hopefully the link works)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1854275934

hodgynd
    Free Member

I noticed you said that you weren’t a massive fan of trail centres ..that being the case why don’t you do one of the best natural rides in the county and only a few miles west of Consett ..Bolts Law Loop.

Having said that Hamsterley is great fun..we are heading there on the 27th for the first time in a while..

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thank guys!

I’m having a feeling that MBR Killer/Bolts Law is growing to be an ultimate contender 😀

Cheers!

I.

seadog101

Hammers is ace.

The much mentioned set of Poultys / K-line / Transmission / Accellerator / Nitrous is well worth the fire road haul to the top.

BenjiM

Routegadget for Gisburn Forest

There’s plenty of cheeky in Gisburn having organised an MTBO there a few weeks ago. The problem with having trail centres in a forest is that a lot of the old trails that people used don’t get used any more. Doesn’t mean to say that there aren’t lots of tracks about!

teethgrinder

Don’t do Poultys. It’s terrible. Awful going in to it and a climb to get out of it.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers!

The plan will be to ride natural stuff around Consett with shit weather bailout option for Hamsterley.

Thanks all!

I.

Mugboo

If Poultys is the newer jumpy bit above Transmission then I disagree, so much fun we bobbed back up the fireroad for another go.

We rode there last weekend during Storm Callum using info from a local, loved it, first half mostly natural trails followed by all the TC type stuff, way more fun that Gizzy ( love the volunteer built bits at Gisburn though)

teethgrinder

That’s K-line. Poulty’s is above that

Mugboo

Ta, confusing stuff, there’s a big metal sign in memory of Poulty.

Mugboo

Poulty

teethgrinder

Poulty’s Last Blast starts on a hill. there’s a terrible chicane and rock garden to get in to it.  It’s then acceptable until half way when it turns into an arsehole climb.  Was meant to be all down, but apparently the Trailblazers ran into a lot of boggy areas part way through.  It then joins on to K-line, although you can join from the fire road as well.  K-line claimed yet another collar bone this weekend, and there’s a lot of braking bumps.

Was over Hamsterley today and got 20 miles in, and only official trail was Odd Sox, the rest cheeky trails.  It’s loads better for avoiding them, TBH.

sillyoldman

Rode Gisburn for the first time recently in an evening after working nearby(ish). Surprisingly fun – apart from the detour…

joemmo
    Free Member

Does K-line have a reputation for broken clavicles or something? I could see that it could catch people out who might be expecting something more in line with the other reds but never thought of it as that dangerous.

As for the unmarked stuff, I’ve followed a few random gaps in the trees before but will investigate a bit further next time I’m down there.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Consett this weekend was a bit snowy ..did you get a ride in OP?

letitreign
    Free Member

Hamsterley get’s my vote over Gisburn, Gisburn does have it’s good bits but there just not long enough, where as Hamsterley has lots of good bits that you can pretty much link together, the only climbing you really is fire road, so it’s doesn’t zap you quite so much.

However, the in-between pedally bits Gisburn are probably more interesting than Hamsterely, swings and roundabouts I guess.

kayla1
    Free Member

Does K-line have a reputation for broken clavicles or something

Yeah, there was a few instances of the air ambulance ferrying people out when it first opened.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Consett this weekend was a bit snowy ..did you get a ride in OP?

Oh, we had more than that 🙂

Scorching sun, bitter wind, hail, torrential rain, more wind, snow, drizzle and low level clouds.

It was great 🙂

Need to ride it once again when I’ll be around.

Cheers!

I.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Hamsterley and Gisburn – any good?’ is closed to new replies.