Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Half decent hybrid SUV?
  • Kryton57

The new VW Tiguan with the 150ps 1.4 TSi

Good shout, test drive booked!

Nico
    Free Member

If I had the money I’d probably have a Passat GTE for a main car and a Zoe or Leaf for a town car (for the mrs, I cycle of course).

Jesus Christ really? [/quote]

Christ on a bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do 20k miles a year, often journeys which wouldn’t fit with electric or hybrid charging

Hybrids don’t need charging.

So I get a 40 mpg

That part is madness. If you arne’t getting at least 50mpg from your new diesel you’re wasting fuel somewhere along the line.

RustySpanner

matt_outandabout – Member
    Fact is that SUV things are as much fashion image as practicality – in fact most are a triumph of image over practicality.

If you want space and a high seating position get a Doblo.
    🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 2 pence and IMO

Japanese are best at Hybrids
    Porsche one’s are for dodging the conjestion charge whilst meeting your friends for lunch or doing a bit of shopping
    Just because it says Hybrid doesn’t mean the electric motor does much, you need to check model by model

Tiguan 1.4T check comments on variois larger car models with that engine, overstressed and blows up ?
    Diesels still make sense, they are very economical and undertaxed given their pollution, latter really only a significant issue in major citites

Kryton57

overstressed

Not the way she’ll drive it.

Diesels still make sense, they are very economical and undertaxed given their pollution, latter really only a significant issue in major citites

This car is 50% school run 50% mum’s social meets & 10% motorway. Diesel doesn’t make sense as we’d wrath to keep the care for 10 years or so. Having said that our 2.0d Kuga has been fine since 2008.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I like the Tiguan and especially the latest facelift. I struggle with the price especially for the 4wd. Personally I would sacrifce space and buy a Q3 Quattro inc a used one if necessary to price match the VW. Whatever would have to have a 2L-ish motor

Del

Half decent hybrid SUV?

correct, they’re only half decent. electric runs out early as it has to haul around a fuel engine, under powered fuel engine ( as it has the electric to help ) is inefficient as it has to haul around electric motors and a big battery.
    full electric FTW.

oh, and SUVs are poor handling devil’s work, but that’s just IMHO. 😉

bainbrge

Agree with Del. They are currently worse than greenwash and very probably worse than diesels in some respects. The Mitsubishi PHEV is an absolute joke unless you are doing journeys that minimise the use of the engine.

In fact I can’t think of many scenarios that could justify a plugin hybrid SUV – to be ecological and using primarily electricity you are looking at very short journeys (i.e. to the shops or around town) and therefore why would you want/need a massive SUV? If you are doing longer journeys lugging family or for work, then a hybrid is just you dragging an empty battery around with a massively underpowered (and hence over stressed) petrol/diesel engine.

Total garbage. Full electric though is becoming more and more attractive as time goes by.

molgrips
    Free Member

correct, they’re only half decent. electric runs out early as it has to haul around a fuel engine, under powered fuel engine ( as it has the electric to help ) is inefficient as it has to haul around electric motors and a big battery.
    full electric FTW.

I think you miss the point. The battery mostly just makes the engine more efficeint, as it recovers energy that would otherwise be lost, or covers the least efficient types of driving. But some can be plugged in and drive say 20-30 miles or so.

It’s a pretty decent compromise, becaues you can drive it indefinitely on petrol only whilst still being as efficent as a diesel, much cleaner and much better in town. And having an electric option for short trips. You could do all your town driving on electricity easily, but still be able to drive long trips without having to have a different car. You seem to forget that people use the same car for different trips.

So they win over full electric at the moment for some usages.

Hybrids aren’t greenwash, it’s putting a hybrid powertrain in an SUV that is.

If you are doing longer journeys lugging family or for work, then a hybrid is just you dragging an empty battery around with a massively underpowered (and hence over stressed) petrol/diesel engine.

Don’t think you understand how petrol engines work. They are more efficient at wide throttle and low revs, not ‘overstressed’. And most parallel hybrids have 80-100bhp petrol engines when they only need 30bhp or so to power them along, so aren’t overstressed in the least. Even my now venerable Prius cruises at nice low revs on the motorway, but that’s cos of the wide range of effective gear ratios available from the HSD transmission you don’t appear to know much about.

And the batteries need not be empty – the ones with a big enough battery, you can drive on petrol until you get to a town in the middle of your journey, then switch to electric as you sit in a traffic jam, then back to petrol. So pretty useful.

shifter
    Free Member

The new VW Tiguan with the 150ps 1.4 TSi will get you high 40’s MPG if driven sensibly.

Our Gert’s 140 TSi Ibiza long term (trip computer) average is 37.6mpg to give you an idea of what’s more likely. Always tickles me when you ask people what they get to the gallon and they say “it can do… on a run… if you’re careful”. In other words, they tell you the absolute maximum they once saw.

This car is 50% school run 50% mum’s social meets & 10% motorway

🙂

geoffj

why is it madness ? I have one of those 17 plate diesels – a large family estate, on a 4 yr pcp. I do 20k miles a year, often journeys which wouldn’t fit with electric or hybrid charging. VED may cost me a couple of hundred extra when I tax it at end of years 1 and 2, and the manufacturer will no doubt want it back for a swop during year 3. So I get a 40 mpg comfy torquey car, on an affordable pcp, with low deposit, and after 3.5 yrs, change to something else. No madness there IMO

Not madness from your perspective – or mine, as I do more like 25k per year, but given the emissions, its hard to see how they aren’t being legislated against to make petrols more attractive.
    The end of my 50 mile commute is across Edinburgh – I wouldn’t be surprised to see them outlawed or heavily taxed for city entry in the near future. (Although Edinburgh folk did vote against a congestion charge 🙄 )

molgrips
    Free Member

Our Gert’s 140 TSi Ibiza long term (trip computer) average is 37.6mpg to give you an idea of what’s more likely.

You must surely not know how to drive economically 🙂

geoffj

So what electric options are there for a 150 mile + range (other than a Tesla 😛 ) ?

shifter
    Free Member

You must surely not know how to drive economically

Fair comment – probably not, but she’s not racing either. At a steady 70 on the motorway it does less than 40mpg.

molgrips
    Free Member

Still seems off. It ought not to be using any boost when crusing at a constant speed on a flat road, so it should be no worse than any other 1.4. But that requires pretty good throttle control, preferably cruise control – some people are constantly mashing the throttle and lifting off, which is terrible for fuel economy.

It’s not just speed that knackers your economy, it’s smoothness and light touch.

Del

if you have a light foot then i’ll concede that hybrids have their uses, but their under-powered engines are not best suited to motorway work by themselves, so yeah, you can keep going, but you better not be in a hurry.

So what electric options are there for a 150 mile + range (other than a Tesla ) ?

why other than tesla? new one coming out soon is ~ 35k.

molgrips
    Free Member

their under-powered engines are not best suited to motorway work by themselves

Disagree with this.

Ever driven a hybrid?

Del

mitsu phev. bobbins. and staggeringly expensive to boot.

molgrips
    Free Member

staggeringly expensive to boot

Don’t disagree with that. Unless you get one as a company car, then they are quite decent.

simon_g

Agree with Del. They are currently worse than greenwash and very probably worse than diesels in some respects. The Mitsubishi PHEV is an absolute joke unless you are doing journeys that minimise the use of the engine.

In fact I can’t think of many scenarios that could justify a plugin hybrid SUV – to be ecological and using primarily electricity you are looking at very short journeys (i.e. to the shops or around town) and therefore why would you want/need a massive SUV? If you are doing longer journeys lugging family or for work, then a hybrid is just you dragging an empty battery around with a massively underpowered (and hence over stressed) petrol/diesel engine.

It is very usage dependent but I’ve been considering an Outlander PHEV for us – single car household, 2 kids and related paraphernalia. Vast majority of trips are sub 30 miles, many sub 5 miles, but with frequent enough trips further afield that pure electric would be a pain unless I could afford a Tesla (I can’t). Makes a lot of sense to me to cover the short journeys (and the first few miles of longer ones) in traffic on electric, then use petrol when up to cruising speed, saving some electric for the slower stuff at the other end.

What’s the alternative? A Leaf or similar and an account at the local hire firm to get something else when the journey is too long or we need to carry too much stuff? Or a regular petrol or diesel that will get terrible MPG most of the time on that usage profile?

Not that sold on an SUV, but it’s the only thing with that kind of powertrain and some proper space at sensible money (2014 PHEVs are hovering around £15k now) – a Passat GTE estate would be perfect but too new and too pricey. Else just get the boring Toyota Auris tourer in hybrid form and at least it’ll be better for most journeys.

molgrips
    Free Member

A PHEV would be idea for you, Simon.

Considered a Peugot 3008?

simon_g

Nope. The PSA diesel hybrid system is meant to be a shambles.

molgrips
    Free Member

If your long trips are infrequent, how about a Leaf and a £3k Mondeo?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’ve completely and utterly failed to understand how a “hybrid” is meant to work. Well done.

But then you seem to be basing your views on the

mitsu phev. bobbins. and staggeringly expensive to boot.

Which by any measure is probably the worst PHEV on the market. And appears to be no more than a prime example of a desperate attempt by Mitsubishi to get some green credits and improve their fleet average consumption.
    😕 Whut. Is confused.

It’ll be a better car all round, in every way. Probably got more space in it than the Mitsubishi as well.

Kryton57

Considered a Peugot 3008?

I’m going to take another look at the Petrol PureTec. The thing is with the 3008 is the PCP payments are very high in comparison for the equivalent Tiguan, although the ballon payment is of course lower.

simon_g

If your long trips are infrequent, how about a Leaf and a £3k Mondeo?

Really don’t need two cars – in the last 10 years I’ve rented a car twice when wife and I needed to drive to different places at the same time. We can usually work around it by cycling or getting the train.

Would be £500+ for another set of insurance, then tax, servicing, MOTs, etc. Could easily offset any cost saving of running a Leaf.

If we needed two cars (e.g. both driving to work), a used Leaf would make perfect sense alongside something bigger and conventional fuelled.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think full electric is mainstream enough yet in terms of tech or indeed charging points (rapid vs normal etc). Hybrid makes much more sense as you have the petrol backup. Mrs B doesn’t like the Yaris shape but I’d happily have one for Paris/London (save on C-charge) driving. Have suggested one to my parents too who are doing mostly 5-20 min trips in rural Hampshire

molgrips
    Free Member

probably the worst PHEV on the market

But – there are loads on the roads, which presumably means lots of them on the second hand market. So it could be the cheapest way to get a plugin car.

BillOddie

Hybrid SUV? Jesus Christ, just buy a proper vehicle.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/xc90/97392/volvo-xc90-t8-twin-engine-best-hybrid-cars

Drove a pretty old Ford SUV hybrid while in the ‘states. Don’t seem available here tho.

SirHC

Have just ordered a golf GTE, company car and we’ve been pushed in the direction of PHEV’s.

-Low (official) Co2, so low company car tax
    -Whole life cost means you can have a better spec’d car over the diesel equivalent or have the same spec and lower tax.

I can charge the car at work and at home, so 6000miles a year commuting will be on pure electric, plus the local trips round town (will do 20 miles on EV).
    The only issue is that on longer journeys (circa 9000miles/year), it will be on the petrol engine, which on a good run will manage 40mpg.
    I’ve done some rough calculations and I won’t be worse off and may save some money depending on how much I can drive the car in EV only.

Would I buy a PHEV with my own money, hell no, far too complicated (after warranty period issues, which there will be!) and there isn’t the tax incentive. Would be going down the petrol route, or wait until the 48v micro hyrbrids arrive in the next year or so, which will have more of a real world benefit.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t as complicated as you think. The really complex engineering bits of a car are in the engine, and that’s basically the same. The gearbox (on the Golf) is also the same. There’s just an electric motor stuck between the two. Electric motors are pretty reliable things and have been around for a long time. I’d bet the electric motor is the least likely thing to go wrong by some margin.

On the Toyota hybrids, there isn’t even a clutch or gearbox which makes it simpler than a normal car. And no turbo, none of the highly engineered diesel stuff either.

molgrips
    Free Member

wait until the 48v micro hyrbrids arrive in the next year or so, which will have more of a real world benefit.

?

I only found an article that said Audi were looking at a 48v battery to replace the 12v starter. Great idea, but it’s not a hybrid. I think it says they want an electric supercharger, which is an idea I had about 10 years ago 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They’ve been experimenting with electric chargers since the 80’s. Too heavy, too expensive and too unreliable. And only (very) small improvements over mechanically driven chargers.
    The new brushless ones are where it’s at though. Massively better than the old school ones. That no one wanted. Electric charging is already in several products as well.

There are several concepts for 48V as well. All the way from heavy duty stop/start and starter motor (as per Audi). All the way through to light hybrid.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d thought that when you have a hybrid car you already have a way of generating or using lots of electricity, so that opens up lots of ways to harvest energy or put it back in.

I thought a generator attached to an exhaust turbine would be cool – but rather difficult to actually engineer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am of the same mind as Sir HC. Buy/lease new and you have a warranty, I would be very cautious about being liable for motor/battery replacement etc

molgrips
    Free Member

The motor replacement is highly unlikley imo. The batteries last many many years, much longer than the warranty. And they are modular too so you don’t need to bin the whole thing if a cell fails.

We had a problem with our Prius a couple of years ago. Guess which bit went wrong.

winston
    Free Member

Any car will be a nightmare after the warranty runs out these days.

At least BEV’s and Hybrids have the longest warranty period. My Toyota Auris estate has a 5 year standard warranty and 8 yr battery/HV warranty whilst my Leaf has a 5 yr HV parts warranty and unlimited yearly (up to 100,000m) battery cover.

As people have stated there is less to go wrong but unfortunately if something does fail it will be fantastically expensive to fix.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you say that?

What do you think is in there?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Half decent hybrid SUV?’ is closed to new replies.