Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hadleigh Farm – what tyres?
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

Daughter’s probably going to be racing at the Inter Regional MTB champs in Oct at Hadlegh Farm. What would be recommended tyre choice?
    Was thiking of Conti Race Kings, but what about small block 8’s – which look a bargain from Bike-Discount.de

Thanks!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Anything fast but with a good sidewall. SM8 would be OK or Racing Ralph with snakeskin.
    That is just from watching the Men’s Olympic race, not riding it myself mind.

Gweilo
    Free Member

Small Block 8’s are fantastic tyres with excellent rolling capability, center four blocks are a harder compound, but good cornering grip. Fantastic if it not too muddy, that said I slogged through mud on a set today and they performed fine.

Have to caveat the above with the statement “i’m no expert so probably best to ignore me”

grtdkad
    Free Member

…wait ’til nearer the time and check weather first ?

ampthill

I think thats really going to depend on weather. It was dry for the olympics. But memory is that most still had tyres with tread.

But much of the course is grass and proper old school single track on mud

london 2012-16 by John Clinch, on Flickr

my memory is that this was hard packed mud but it may have been gravelled as well, with mud over the top. Hopefully some one will really know but I think all round tyres at least if it rains. From memory they were riding with more knobbles than small block eights in the dry

coopersport1
    Free Member

I noted one of the bikes was shod with Maxxis Beavers 29er style. Seemed a bit much to me but would give excellent grip on the rocks

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I would be a bit worried about waiting til nearer the time – I usually wait til approx 24 hours before an important event then start to panic, go shopping, pay through the nose for something that is less than ideal!!
    Then I get a bollocking from her for failing in my team mechanic duties!!

coopersport1
    Free Member

36hrs before, nextdaytyres.co.uk sorted!

timb34
    Free Member

From the look of Kulhavys bike I think he had a Renegade on the back and a FastTrak on the front.

grtdkad
    Free Member

+1 for nextdaytyres.co.uk

Ordered a pair of Schwalbes at 4pm on a Friday and they were on my doorstep before 8 the next morning. Ace!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Personally even if it was torrential rain I would still use a Ralph. All the technical sections were rocky, no need for anything more. It’s a race, the aim of going as fast as possible – pick a fast tyre.

No one racing on the olympics would have been on a very knobbly tyre, dry or wet.

ampthill

All the technical sections were rocky

But the run out from leap of faith was onto mud and there was a fair amount of unsurfaced stuff where traction mattered

kitebikeski
    Free Member

So which model of the Ralphs – there seem to be a confusingly large range?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

But the run out from leap of faith was onto mud and there was a fair amount of unsurfaced stuff where traction mattered

Fine to ride on a fast tyre, regardless of weather. Even if it was a bit slippery the time lost verses what could be gained elsewhere would be massively in favour of a fast tyre.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

So which model of the Ralphs – there seem to be a confusingly large range?

Snakeskin Evo would be my choice, in the width you prefer. 2.25″ I tend to use as the bigger volume allows a lower pressure.

Northwind

Smallblocks are fantastic, but not light in race-tyre terms (no wonder, they’re not race tyres, just very fast everyday tyres).

Fast Trak (not the LK version, the standard one) is a very good racy tyre. Though, makes a weird noise like a spacehopper bouncing, when you hit rocks and roots, which I found really odd and offputting 😳 But also, relatively cheap- pair from Freeborn, £54 for a pair of Sworks.

fizzicist
    Free Member

From memory, most of the quick guys were on Hutchinson cobra/python combination. Ralph, SB8, Race King would be my shout.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

From memory, most of the quick guys were on Hutchinson cobra/python combination. Ralph, SB8, Race King would be my shout.

Most of the quick guys were on tubular dugasts with various tread patterns.

timb34
    Free Member

Top three quick guys:

Kulhavy: FastTrak/Renegade

Shurter : Dugast Tubs – can’t see the tread pattern very well, but I seem to recall he usually uses Ritchey treads?

Fontana : RR/RR

njee20
    Free Member

Personally even if it was torrential rain I would still use a Ralph. All the technical sections were rocky, no need for anything more. It’s a race, the aim of going as fast as possible – pick a fast tyre.

+1

I’d probably stick with the normal sidewall Evo 2.25″ though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

+1

I’d probably stick with the normal sidewall Evo 2.25″ though.

Even after there were a few riders puncturing during the races?
    I did hear that every single rider who did puncture was riding tubs mind, which is either very interesting or pure coincidence.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys – that’s a real help.

brakes
    Free Member

if it’s for racing, the pressures should be high enough not to need pinch protection (and the weight penalty). and from what it looked like on TV 🙄 the technical sections were just ‘let go and hold on’ so grip not a big issue.
    won’t they have sanitized it a bit for the junior racing anyway?

njee20
    Free Member

Even after there were a few riders puncturing during the races?
    I did hear that every single rider who did puncture was riding tubs mind, which is either very interesting or pure coincidence.

Yes I read that about the tub riders, very odd. Though I thought Absalon flatted too, and AFAIK he wasn’t on tubs. But yes, I probably would use the standard Evo ones myself, or rather I probably will next year!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Yes I read that about the tub riders, very odd. Though I thought Absalon flatted too, and AFAIK he wasn’t on tubs. But yes, I probably would use the standard Evo ones myself, or rather I probably will next year!

He was on Dugast tubs with a hutchinson tread pattern.

if it’s for racing, the pressures should be high enough not to need pinch protection (and the weight penalty)

Think you will find that most racers realise there is a benefit of using lower pressures, usually below 30psi, some nearer 20psi. Tubeless of course, I doubt anyone at the olympics was using tubes.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, he snuck through without my noticing, thought he’d have been on Fulcrums. So perhaps that is the case then, certainly everyone I noticed having flatted was using tubs, but there weren’t all that many.

if it’s for racing, the pressures should be high enough not to need pinch protection (and the weight penalty)

As Matt says, wider tyres and softer pressures are far more prevalent now. The days of 60psi in 1.8″ tyres are long gone.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Absalon is riding Mavic wheels now. I’ll try and find the picture of his bike.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Can’t find the picture I saw before, but this is from World Cup Rd 1. Also from the pictures I took its clear he was on the same tubs, but I can’t be bothered to upload it 🙂

bigdawg
    Free Member

I would say the python is a perfect tyre for the course – I regularly ride hadleigh downs and its never let me down…

brakes
    Free Member

As Matt says, wider tyres and softer pressures are far more prevalent now. The days of 60psi in 1.8″ tyres are long gone.

Think you will find that most racers realise there is a benefit of using lower pressures, usually below 30psi, some nearer 20psi. Tubeless of course, I doubt anyone at the olympics was using tubes.

even in amateur/ junior racing? everyday’s a schoolday 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Of course, why on earth would pros be running lower pressures while amateurs still running them rock solid? 😕

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t know, because amateurs aren’t running tubs/ tubeless?
    my idea of ‘grass-roots’ racing is what I saw in the 90s in the North East – people rocking up on Raleigh Lizards with Farmer John tyres to compete in XC and DH.
    I’m a bit out of touch with the scene.

ollie51
    Free Member

Ralphs are an ideal tyre for that course, they were fine when I rode it in slightly damp conditions. No need for snakeskin or such, as there aren’t many sharp rock edges at all. Wouldn’t run too lower pressures, ie <22psi since there’s plenty of potential to burp the tyre.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t know, because amateurs aren’t running tubs/ tubeless?

Many are running tubeless for sure, but then many non-racers are too!

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Oh lordy – I should’ve known there wouldn’t have been an easy answer!

Looks like I should be getting some not too skinny Ralphs. They will not be tubeless (because she is only 14, and gets way too much sports kit as it is!)And I won’t pump them up too hard.

Thanks for all the advice – just wish I was going down too!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hadleigh Farm – what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.