Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gym bods – what weight?
  • What weights do you use? I usually do 10-12 reps in 3-4 sets of the following…

Abdominal – 40-45kg
    Pec deck – 60-65kg
    Chest press – 50-55kg
    Low row – 60-65kg
    Vertical traction – 75-80kg (did 100kg on Sunday, but only managed 5 reps)
    Leg curls/extensions – 45kg
    Leg press – 120kg (did 150kg reps and sets once, but thought my knees were going to collapse and nearly passed out)

Not willy waving before you start, as I don’t think these are massive weights. Met a bloke the other week who used to bench press 300kg and leg press 900kg

tomsk01
    Free Member

I do free weights, have only got back into it in last few months, and am still rather feeble

Bench press – 50kg
    Bicep curl – 30kg
    Dead lift – 100kg
    Shoulder press – 25kg
    Bent over row – 40kg

Do these 8-12 reps for 3 or 4 sets, depending on how I’m feeling. My current goal is to be able to bench press my own bodyweight (currently hovering around 80kg). Think guy you were talking to might have got kgs and lbs mixed up 😀 (still impressive though!)

No, he wasn’t talking crap. Saw pics of him when he was younger. Think bigger than arnie.

30kg on your biceps is impressive – if its single arm. I struggle with 20 for any amount

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ummm – I’m guessing we have different machines to you, Life Fitness plate loaded stuff?

Anyhow…

Abs – don’t use machines.
    Pec dec – Flys with dumbells 17.5kg
    Chest press = dumbells 27.5kg, or use plate loaded incline / decline machines circa 35kg each side.
    Low row – 80-90kg plates each side, but lower reps than you do.
    Vertical Traction – Front pull down machine 90kg , again lower reps
    Leg press 200kg
    Other leg machines (extensions etc) I do single legs on for physio stuff 20-25kg.

Most of the time I do Yoga or kettlebells and bodyweight exercises.

TooTall
    Free Member

Of course – none of it matters if your form is crap.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Big difference between machine and free weights. On free weights and on 12-8-6 pyramid

Bench Press 125kg
    Squat 165kg
    Shoulder Press 65kg (shoulder damage)
    Shoulder Shrugs 32.5kg dumbbell maximum
    Upright Rowing 65kg
    Bent over rowing 85kg
    Curl 55kg
    Tricep Extension 30kg

I used to go heavier when I was younger but injuries take a lot longer to heal and never fully.

Sold my weights end of last year and now just use dumbbells

schrickvr6
    Free Member

How tall and how much do you guys weigh?

I work out at home so don’t use any machines, 6’3″ and 15 1/2st, need to shift about 1 1/2st

Core, do TGUs with 20kg for 8 reps per side
    Flys – 34kg per dumbbell 10 reps
    Bench press – 96kg 8 reps
    Dumbbell squats – 80kg 3 sets of 20 with a minute rest pukefest
    Deadlift 118kg 8 reps

Do loads of other stuff like pull/chin ups, bodyweight rows, gym ring dips, press ups and attempted crucifixes, single leg RDLs, kettlebells etc etc.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5’10” and about 75kg, pretty lean but could drop a couple of kg if I lose some upper body strength.

5’11 and currently 11.5st (just over). Was 13 1/2st 4 months ago.

Bizarrely 3 years ago when I was 15 1/2st I didn’t look fat.

peterfile
    Free Member

Of course – none of it matters if your form is crap.

This 🙂

I can bench press 50kg free weights.

I can almost wipe myself out using 30kg free weights with good form and nice slow reps.

craigxxl
    Free Member

6ft and 19st so obviously not all muscle.

Don’t know if anyone else uses a gym/swiss ball for their core exercises. Physio told me to use one to strengthen up after an hernia op, they target the area really quickly much better than crunches and leg raises.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Stopped going to the gym 12 months ago to concentrate on jiu jitsu before I stopped i was pushing:
    Bench press. 82kgs 3*6
    Squat. 95kgs 3*6 ( pretty crap in relation to my other lifts)
    Shoulder press. 50kgs 3*6
    Deadlifts 160kgs 3*6
    5′ 10″ and at the time 78kgs. Not that now though, been a bit of a porker over crimbo and weigh in at 87kgs at the mo 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gym bods – what weight?’ is closed to new replies.