• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • GT Grade sizing help
  • jms
    Free Member

Just wondering what size grades people are riding who are similar height to me. I’m 175cm – just over 5ft 8 with about a 30.5in inside leg. I’m not sure whether the medium (55cm) will be too big and should instead look at a small (53cm). Any advice welcome as the lbs don’t have any in.

fibre
    Free Member

I went for a 55cm and I’m 180cm. My Cannondale Synapse is 56cm and my previous CAADX was 54cm with a longer stem than stock. The Carbon Grade has a FSA K-Force seatpost with 25mm setback (15mm is more common, so bear in mind). Saddle to handlebar it fits the same as my Synapse 56cm.

I’d try a 53cm if you can, get the shop to sit you on a bike with the same horizontal toptube length and stem as the 53 and 55.

Looking at the geometry chart.
    Horizontal toptube: 535 vs 550
    Seat tube: 535 vs 550
    Reach is very similar: 370 vs 373
    Headtube: 142 vs 162
    Worth noting the steerer is short for the syle of bike, only 15mm of spacers on mine. Just worth bearing in mind the saddle to bar drop if your not a stem slammer and your saddle is at a reasonable height for the frame size.

jms
    Free Member

Thanks for the very useful advice. One shop I went to had suggested the large.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and a half, wear 32′ leg jeans and went with the 55cm, running the stock 110mm stem. Other road bikes are 54cm with 110/120mm stems. Will probably slam at some point as feels high to me. I wouldn’t want it any bigger tbh. I went with the cheapo sora alu one, and I’m pretty chuffed with it.

jms
    Free Member

Thanks. Seems to indicate that the 53cm would be most suitable for me.

croxs

where you at jms ? i ve got a 53cm grade if you wanna try im near bolton

jms
    Free Member

Thanks croxs for the very kind offer but unfortunately I’m in Berkshire.

Stainypants

I’m 5’10 with short legs and long back. I often size up to a large. The medium fits me perfectly I tried the large and it was like a gate. If your normal proportions sounds your likely to be a a 53cm.

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’m getting one of these, fantastic looking bike. Iv’e got the same measurements as jms, I’d like to try your 53 croxs, I’m in Chorley.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

At 6′ 4″ I’m taller than the OP and based on the geometry went for an XXL (60cm). TT etc. is the same as my other bikes but the front end does come up very high compared to my other bikes. It fits okay but I’m thinking that I maybe a size smaller would have suited me better.

I would definitely advise at least sit on one before you buy.

imn

I’m a tad shorter (1.73m/5’8″) with shortish legs and have a 55cm Grade

It’s fine for my commute through traffic, where I prefer to be fairly upright for visibility, and the longer reach helps a bit with toe overlap.

I’d probably recommend the 53cm though, unless you know you want the reach/stack of the medium.

paulx
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 3″ with 35″ inside leg on a 58cm. Would normally have gone for a 60cm but the 58 feels plenty big enough.

jms
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments and the picture. I’ll try to get hold of a 53cm version.

johnas7
    Free Member

i would defo try and have a shot of one. Im wanting to get one in the new year and thouhgt a medium would be okay for me. im 5ft 10 with 33 inch leg and long arms. My mate just got one and hes around 5ft 7-8 and got the medium, i had a shot and it felt to small. It fits him alright tho.

theboatman
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AWoN5Y]WP_20151019_002[/url] by IamDeathside, on Flickr

The carbon ones certainly look a bit more sophisticated than the Alu ones. I had to ditch the GT flared bars as I found them too weird,and swapped to my usual saddle with a cheapo Chinese carbon seat-post from the bike the GT replaced. Mines now wearing full guards, and road spds. Wheels are officially tubeless which was a bonus, although the rear wheel has popped two spokes at the thread in not a lot of miles. It’s not light, but I’m really liking it!

fibre
    Free Member

Got some Matte black SKS Blumels and some skinwall Challange Paris-Roubaix 27mm (measure 30mm) tyres to go on for the winter 🙂

I wanted to like the bars, but didn’t. Got some Bontys which have a tiny bit of flare (1cm wider overall at the drops, but enough for offroad).

I didn’t see the point in the 52/36 gearing on my Ultegra model, plenty of gearing for fast road rides on a compact and 52 is useless offroad.

I wish it had clearance for 40-45mm tyres, I know it’s not intended for proper offroad but I did like the idea of taking it on big day rides with plenty of bridleway and gravel (42mm tyres on my CAADX were spot on for 80-100milers with plenty of offroad). 84kg and 35mm tyres don’t work so well, hit the comfort\grip pressure sweetspot and i’m dinging rims on roots etc occasionally.

Id love a fatter tyre “adventure” version with through axles FnR for MTB wheels and tyres :mrgreen:

Saying all that, I love the bike it’s great fun on or offroad.

jms
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get the Alu 105 model. Intend to get full guards so thanks for letting me know what fits. Guess I’ll see how I get on with the flared bars. Will be using bike for a very short commute to work, road riding plus exploring byways/bridleways around Wokingham. Still have my mountain bike for Swinley.Haven’t had a GT since someone stole my Zaskar many years ago 🙁

jeffl

forzafkawi – where did you get the XXL from? I was looking earlier this year and nowhere had any. I emailed the importer and they confirmed they hadn’t brought any XXL’s into the UK.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

jeffl – Member

forzafkawi – where did you get the XXL from? I was looking earlier this year and nowhere had any. I emailed the importer and they confirmed they hadn’t brought any XXL’s into the UK.

Sunset MTB. I just checked their website and they still have 60cm listed as available.

jeffl

Cheers forzafkawi 🙂

fibre
    Free Member

Carbon models?. UK distributer has 60cm Ultegra now (not many!), 105 is end of the month.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘GT Grade sizing help’ is closed to new replies.