Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 313 total)
  • Groups riding CRANHAM WOODS
  • correctiveroger
    Free Member

If, and obviously it is still an “if” at this stage, we can get some kind of legitimate access then instances such as these can be escalated to NE / Police etc. In the past if we had identified ourselves and said there was trail sabotage (not the Black Sabbath sabotage..), the signs we see now would have gone up I reckon. Once we have consent to ride, this issue is something we can try and pursue.
    I will feed back meeting outcome, thoughts, actions required etc as soon as I can Friday. Good or bad vibes I really think a get together of those interested at a local venue is a good idea. I did this with my Leckhampton Hill work although the eventual turnout was not that great it was a necessary process to include all riders and give them an opportunity to discuss ways forward / organisation etc. Somehow I think we could fill a pretty big room this time!!!

DarrenH

Superb work correctiveroger.
    Once mrsH is fit and well I’ll be able to get riding again.
    But count me in to anything you need (as long as I can bring along 2.5 year old twins)
    Definately agree with Mrmo, popes wood needs to be “hidden under the carpet” as it’s a great little spot.
    The broken glass, litter etc that gets dropped at the top of the jumps isn’t going to help matters though.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Six present at our meeting. 2 from NE, 2 from CC-CC and 2 from Bigfoot. Overall (personal) view of how it went, well pretty good at this early stage and NE will now consider a number of trails for us to use. As they don’t know where we ride exactly they appear to have a perception that we have dozens of trails all over the place. The truth is there is essentially two or three main routes that run from birdlip to the A46. A handfull of trails branching off and thats it. We have in principal agreed to log these on a map and share them. At some point in any agreement they have to know where “agreed” trails are going to be. Jumps / constructions are going to have to be a no-no in the woods and I doubt if many riders will disagree. In the near future we hope to do some actual trail assessments to prove they are not damaging to the woodland. And it is likely we will need to promote no riding there in the winter months which is also reasonable so can I urge you to spread the word that we are officially on the case for protecting at least some trails, can’t promise all of them, and we stay away until it starts drying up as Spring approaches. If we can show them we can manage ourselves it will give NE confidence for any future trail agreements. The closed door has been opened and we intend to open it up as much as we can but we need YOU to do your part. In time we will have more rider consultation as it is YOU who want to ride there. We CAN do this.

mrmo
    Free Member

seems promising, just wondering how you can inform those who dig that it may screw it up for everyone.

alfabus
    Free Member

maybe we could suggest some signs with club logos on to show that cyclists have had a part in forming whatever deals arise.

Signs could give details of what it is that has been agreed (maybe not as far as a map of trails, but a quick description) and say that new digging/building is not allowed.

As well as helping to stop digging, signs like these could be useful for us by giving us some respectability and stopping walkers from being able to say “you’re not allowed here”.

Who was behind the signs on Lecky?

Dave

mrmo
    Free Member

Who was behind the signs on Lecky?

correctiveroger in part.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

I have been thinking about siagnage, and the NE ones as well. If we can put some up I will get this arranged. As our liaison group grows the responsiveness to ideas such as this will unfortuantely slow a bit as we have to consult more parties, but for sure this is a good idea and will be progresed for sure. Word of mouth, forums, websites, bike shops and my now extensive email contact list will help information getting out though. These early days are important to demonstrate our organisational capability.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Rog, have you had any contact with the owners of the house by the Sawmill who own the triangle above and across to the painswick rd? They were also blocking trails including putting logs in the bottom of the bombhole on the opp side of the road, they were seen doing it (same couple who stop riders and tell them they now own it) and their son / grandson / nephew (c.16 years old).

Or are we just letting the Sawmill trail go?!

tang
    Free Member

Nice one Roger.

mrmo
    Free Member

Rog, have you had any contact with the owners of the house by the Sawmill who own the triangle above and across to the painswick rd? They were also blocking trails including putting logs in the bottom of the bombhole on the opp side of the road, they were seen doing it (same couple who stop riders and tell them they now own it) and their son / grandson / nephew (c.16 years old).

Or are we just letting the Sawmill trail go?!

different owners and words have been had, assuming we are talking about the same, they are not interested in cyclists in the woods around the sawmill, no discussion no cycling.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

If you mean the Tysons who own the land where the Shrine is, then yes. They said come back in two years!!! I will expect Natural England to engage with them in time on the partnership we are trying to form. I hope they will be able to convince them that it will be in their interests to work with us and not against us. Could be a tough one though.

stroudoffroadsquad
    Free Member

Email for contact etc. steve@stroudoffroadsquad.co.uk

v666ern
    Free Member

ah didnt see your comments on stopping for the winter…just took my first night ride around there…my god the felling has made a mess of racetrack 😯 🙁

and you guys are right it is quite a bog in places, nothing sinister to report (branches etc) though as of 20:00 friday night

shall take my riding to lecky 🙂

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Cheers v666ern. Felling is just commercial, nothing sinister!! Much obliged if you can steer clear for now. Pass on the message to follow riders when you see them. Thanks.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The start of the Racetrack is well felled pass there today on road bike tractor and trailer were well busy.Might dry up quicker once they have finished in there less trees.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Bigfoot MBC have already put an update on their website. http://www.bigfootmbc.co.uk/2011/11/cranham-update/
    CC-CC will be doing something similar soon. The email contacts list of groups, shops and riders will be operating from this week I hope to get messages out and as a way of getting feedback. Of course this forum will continue to be used for this as well.

v666ern
    Free Member

Email received and sign spotted in leisure lakes chelt – good work that man 🙂

Hotfly
    Free Member

Roger – you’re doing a great job… I go out cycling with the guys from work (on average about 6 of us). Cranham is one of the popular destinations, though not usually in Winter. I can be your point of contact, though Andy W is the one who leads mostly. I guess the message is to keep off the trails for the moment. You can always contact me through the CCCC Yahoo group, if I don’t see you on a Saturday.

Justin Mellor

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Cheers Justin. Just keep an eye on the Yahoo updates through the club. If we were to switch off the Yahoo groups (not expected but things are moving towards a forum suposidely), then I’ll pop you on my separarte contacts list.
    CC-CC update now on the their website to compliment Bigfoots.
    http://www.cc-cc.co.uk/news/newsitem.php?id=36

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Top work Roger and thanks for the email update.

Does this mean that the new DH track at the bottom of Racetrack and the jumps on the Shrine are being “removed”?

I look forward to seeing the drawn out map. Ideally with names of the trails on to show them how much we love the place to have named them all.

I assume the Teachers and OneWhoWaits will be included in the 2 or 3 trails?

jameso

hint – maybe naming one the ‘racetrack’ on the map isn’t great PR …. 😉

tang
    Free Member

I suggest something Jim Bowen related. ‘pick a dart’ or ‘Bowen’s delight’.

jameso

Look what you could’ve won?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

What about Bully?

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Will be looking at mapped out tracks tonight. Making sure we have covered them all. Will send off to Natural England when we are agreed (Bigfoot / CC-CC).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Super, smashing, great!

😉

locoola
    Free Member

Hi All,

A friend pointed out this topic as we are concerned about the future of riding at Cranham. It’s a magic spot and one of the best in the area, would be a shame to lose it. I ride out there quite regularly with a group of mates, if there is anything we can do to aid please do post here (im sure you all will.) Thanks also for fighting the cause for the good of the mtb community.

Needless to say rubbish is not acceptable, and perhaps anyone found doing so should receive a (verbal) shoeing 🙂

Cheers
    Oli

tang
    Free Member

Hey bushwacked did you spot my post on the PVF thread? I’d go with ‘super smashing great’ as a replacement for racetrack!

optimisticprime
    Free Member

BFH Bus Fare Home

locoola
    Free Member

I did my AC joint on the Bus Stop section if that gives any inspiration 😀

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Let’s just hope we have some tracks to name in the near future.
    NE have told me that they will erect signage detailing our current negotiations. We still need to stay away for now though.
    If we offered to help with conservation work occasionally in Cranham, such as scrub removal etc, would anyone be prepared to volunteer to assist? Just exploring the idea of helping to earn our ability to use the trails.

stroudoffroadsquad
    Free Member

We are all staying away for winter as normal, good luck with all your doing guys

correctiveroger
    Free Member

We have virtually finalised what will be included in the map we are going to send to NE next week. Pretty much everything – trust us. Just a few missed sections that will be done this weekend – yes that means someone riding a trail, but this will double up as a recce to engage with other riders who may be using the area who don’t know what is going on.
    We will show a main link from the Racetrack all the way down to the wall and the track the other side (Bunny trail I heard??). It will look OK I believe with a main link and a few branches off (Teachers, Spooky Wood and the One Who Waits and the like). Area of the Tysons land (Shrine, Spooky etc) is an unknown at this stage. If NE can see it makes sense to include them then they may engage with the Tysons (with the help of the Land Agent) on our behalf. We are pushing for another site meeting in December to keep the momentum up.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Rog – I’m up for work parties where I can.

Tang – yeah, sorry forgot to reply, but chilled rides are always good. Putting a few training road rides in at the moment so might be after Xmas I’ll be available.

tang
    Free Member

Bushwacked- no training needed with me!

Roger – Is a meeting still on the cards?, might be able to help with a suitable venue.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

A meeting with riders will no doubt be arranged at some point, whether we get, or don’t get a suitable agreement. No dates thought about yet but be assured it is part of our strategy.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

A meeting with riders will no doubt be arranged at some point, whether we get, or don’t get a suitable agreement. No dates thought about yet but be assured it is part of our strategy.

IHN

Stick me on whatever list you’re putting together

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’d like to go on the ‘list’ also. I occasionally ride with Bigfoot there, sometimes on my own or with other mates. Also there is a group called the Bramblers (not sure if anyone on here is with them) that go up there, I can get in touch with them

Continuing on the Jim Bowen themed trail names: I’d like to throw in:

Listen to Tony

You asking me or telling me?

Two in a bed

🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Here is what you could have won!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 313 total)

The topic ‘Groups riding CRANHAM WOODS’ is closed to new replies.