Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Great Wall Futurist – Chinese car content…
  • the-muffin-man

Loving this concept! 🙂

https://www.motor1.com/news/446459/great-wall-ora-futurist-concept/

I think they’d sell this by the boat-load outside of China. Complete antidote to the bland boxes we are being pushed at the minute.

Seems like the Chinese car makers are getting their act together.

kerley
    Free Member

Looks heavily inspired by various Volvo’s going back 40 years. Wouldn’t sell much in the SUV obsessed UK though so not sure I agree with the selling in boat loads comment.

oldtennisshoes

Looks like an A Level design project.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hows it’s safety rating ?

I love cheap and quirky cars.

But great wall have history on being lethal rip offs of outdated tech doubt they would sell many

midlifecrashes

Looks a bit 304 Cabriolet to me. Upright front end, slight taper front and back, chrome but not much of it. Nicely retro. Very little on the roads now that doesn’t conform to one of the five or so standard outlines.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Love that.
    I’m an absolute sucker for a retro mash up car…..but yeah, it’ll be a pile of lethal dogshit.

I’m getting shades of Mark 1 Cortina with a top note of squashed XJ6

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Touch of early 3 series, like it.

iolo
    Free Member

null

johndrummer
    Free Member

@iolo, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Either that or an old DAF

wind-bag
    Free Member

On opening the thread and seeing the picture I instantly thought BMW 2002 inspired, especially with those wheels.

willard

It’s certainly got a lot going on… Part of it looks like the old BMW 2002, but the roof and C pillar look like the old Volvo s40. Hell, the front looks Mondeo/Focusand the paint is almost identical to the Land Rover Heritage colour they made for the last of the Defenders.

I don’t like the circular lights at the front… They look out of place and would also worry about the safety rating and the ability to get spares for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unaerodynamic and the safety looks crap. Fine if no-one drives it anywhere.

brads
    Free Member

It’s probably powered by a cloned Honda CB125 engine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bristol?

ElShalimo

oh my, that’s not pretty

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like it, China is where Korea was 15 years ago and Japan 30 years ago. The motoring Jurnos like to mock them, laugh at their silly car names and copycat designs, whilst they quietly bang away making huge leaps every generation.

For me, the grill with little ‘fog’ lights reminds me of an 80s / 90s Aston V8. The bonnets’s a bit Ford Kuga, wheels Toyota Century, the overall shape a bit old-school Eastern Block and The pillar-less doors/window look great but despite having design features from all over the shop, they do work to make a coherent look.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s probably powered by a cloned Honda CB125 engine.

It’s an EV

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nowt futuristic about a retro styled car. Wagon wheels, old fashioned saloon shape (crap aerodynamics, crap interior space, crap luggage space, crap versatility). Not bad as a kind of funky retro look car, but the future of motoring? They might very well sell outside of China but that’s more down to the marketing teams. The fact that a few people might buy them means nothing. Sangyong even managed to sell a few models of the Rodius in the UK..a car to rival the supreme ugliness of the Pontiac Aztec. Think the usual producers of the cookie cutter euroboxes are safe for a while yet.

No doubt a fleet of them will go to the Chinese secret police. they like a saloon with a separate boot. Convenient for hiding people in when they kidnap a dissident to take away to an internment camp for ‘re-education’ for daring to utter an opinion over WeChat that is not endorsed by the party collective.

P-Jay
    Free Member

ld fashioned saloon shape (crap aerodynamics, crap interior space, crap luggage space, crap versatility

I disagree, old fashioned saloons (and their estate variant) were designed with all those things in mind from the outset. When cars were styled to look like off-roaders and later SUVs they got worse in pretty much every practical respect.

Daffy

Looks like a BMW 2002 with a Ford Mondeo front end. It’s quite nice, but the colour and interior are doing a lot for it.

Daffy

P-Jay
    I like it, China is where Korea was 15 years ago and Japan 30 years ago.

No one was mocking Japanese cars in the 90s. Skylines, Supras, Celicas, Z cars. Admittedly, 93 onwards was the best, but they were well on their way 30 years ago.

wzzzz
    Free Member

And a zero star euro ncap rating with those A pillars and pedestrian cutting front.

Theres a reason all our cars look the same.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m getting Nissan Figaro.

zilog6128

there are loads of funky retro-looking BEV/PHEV vehicles on their way from China, can’t think what’s inspired this one 🤔

the-muffin-man

And a zero star euro ncap rating with those A pillars and pedestrian cutting front.

Theres a reason all our cars look the same.

And it’s really quite sad.

The a-pillars look no worse than many superminis, especially when you look from the inside. And the front would be fine if collapsable structures.

keithb

Never mind on the way.  Take a look at the MG 5.

https://mg.co.uk/mg5-ev/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvoHE44iR7AIVi8_tCh0Frg2HEAAYASAAEgLfYvD_BwE

EV Estate, front looks like a golf, back end like an astra, 200+ mile range and a decent boot.

The only obvious criticism is a lack of flat floor area in the boot with the seats down, but I reckon thy could solve that by raising the floow slightly up to cill level, creating either underfloor storage or more battery space.

If It can take 3 car seats in the back, I’ll be seriously considering one for my next car.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

No one was mocking Japanese cars in the 90s. Skylines, Supras, Celicas, Z cars. Admittedly, 93 onwards was the best, but they were well on their way 30 years ago.

Just change it to 40 years ago. The 80s Japanese cars were definitely mocked, because ugly and square.

Although curiously, they seemed to start and go without falling apart, which was a refreshing change from the average BL Mini.

Take a look at the MG 5.

Yes. Catching up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Although curiously, they seemed to start and go without falling apart, which was a refreshing change from the average BL Mini.

Hmmm 80s Japanese cars had a reputation for one thing and one thing only…..

And curiously they managed to also do that thing even better than BL cars….which mostly arrived at the show room half rotten…..the Japanese cars just rotted double quick

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Chinese are well up to speed if not ahead of the game on BEVs

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Comparing the emerging Japanese car makers to broken 60 and 70’s BL is not relevant. BL was broken and producing utter crap and making a loss as they went. The rise of the Japanese manufacturers didn’t put the likes of BMW, Mercedes Benz and the other big European manufacturers at risk because they were decent cars made by a decent company unlike BL. BL was an unmitigated disaster and Japanese or no Japanese was only heading one way. People migrated from BL to BMW as much as Honda.

Its a much harder market to crack right now… it took the Koreans a good 20 years with full government backing. It will take the Chinese market time to get to where the Koreans are now. Also cars are mostly an emotional purchase. If we bought cars based upon which was the best we’ll all be driving the same car. But people like their brands…brands say something about the owner, it associates them with an image they want to project. The biggest challenge for the Koreans and the Chinese is creating a desirable image and not a decent car – anyone can do that apart from Tesla who have created the image and the charging network but the quality of the cars has some way to go – but they’ve done it the right way – develop a valuable brand first. Get the right image and you can sell any old crap. The entire value of the product is in the brand and not the product itself. The Koreans are not even there yet but making progress. The Sportage seemed to have broken them into the desirable car market and things like the Stinger are following suit. I’ve driven a few Korean hatchbacks over recent years and they are every bit as good as a Focus or MB A-class or equivalent…but I wouldn’t buy one.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

If it has the same or similar build quality of my old Great Wall X240 that I owned when living in Oz, I’ll give it a miss. The interior was laughable flimsy plastic mess that rattled like crazy on and off road.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Great Wall Futurist – Chinese car content…’ is closed to new replies.