Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GPS for beginners
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

I've decided that this year's Christmas present to myself will be a GPS unit, after much time spent faffing with papier-maché maps and ineffective map cases. I borrowed a friends' Garmin Etrex Legend for a day a while ago and it was a revelation in being told where to go.

I'd like something which:
    is waterproof (for riding in the UK winter…)
    can be used as sat-nav for driving
    can be clamped to my handlebars
    can take memory-map or equivelant OS style maps

Something like the Garmin Dakota or Oregon? Or are they a bit too posh?

Cheers

Gareth

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

have a look at this SATMAP, otherwise, I would recommend asking this same question on outdoorsmagic.

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

This is a cracking article, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

BigJohn

The Garmin Edge series looks very attractive but is too fitness-training oriented. Expensive and difficult to get your head around for just navigating.

MrAgreeable

I have a Satmap and I'm really impressed with it – nice big screen, pretty much bombproof, good battery life (off AAs or internal Lion) and you don't need to hook it up to a computer to use it. However the full package is quite expensive and it isn't designed to be a car-mounted satnav.

I'd say the best value and most versatile solution would be a PDA with a big ol' aftermarket battery, Tom Tom and Memory Map (or equivalents), and an Otterbox for shock/water resistance.

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

The Satmap does look good but I hear you can't use Memory map with it? I now have a reasonably comprehensive memory map collection so keen to get something i can us them with.

The Edge looks good but as you say I don't care about cadence and heart-rate.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The Satmap does look good but I hear you can't use Memory map with it? I now have a reasonably comprehensive memory map collection so keen to get something i can us them with.

The only thing that you can use memory map maps on the device itself is a windows mobile PDA. None of the garmins will load the actual maps on, so you end up having to buy the maps again even for the fancy ones (assuming you want maps on the device).

Joe

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

eh? That seems a bit weird. SO you have to buy the micro SD card with the maps already loaded? Can't you just transfer the relevant files onto your own SD card and go with that? I'm sure that's what my mate did with his. Being a pikey he would never have bought the maps anyway…

PikeBN14
    Free Member

There is a Memory Map device coming out any day now, search for Memory Map Adventurer 2800.

crazy-legs

I'm going to go a bit left-field and show a non-Garmin GPS…

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/Endura-Sierra/

djglover
    Free Member

Geko 201 for the bike, Cheap Garmin Nuvi for the car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

pda /windows mobile phone for memory map – works a treat I take this as back up really for my GPS /Map reading skills. WIll also take Car sat nav as well. Can change what map you need etc. Prefer a simple etrex though – points the way and I find you dont really need Memory map/OS mapping or a paper map- although I always have the later as backup.

snakebite
    Free Member

got pretty decent maps on my Vista…. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GPS for beginners’ is closed to new replies.