Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Government Changes Policy on Rights of Way: The Deadline is Back
  • stwhannah

Having previously announced that the 2026 deadline for registering historic rights of way would be removed, the Department for Environment and Rural A …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/government-changes-policy-on-rights-of-way-the-deadline-is-back/

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

martinhutch

Shambolic, as we’d expect. Did Thérèse get an overnight phone call from the landowners’ lobby?

MrAgreeable

The CLA statement is nonsense – it was the deadline that triggered a massive push by the BHF and Cycling UK to get upgrade applications submitted before rights of way were lost. And there was a backlog well before that – here in Calderdale there are applications going back to the 1990s that are still under consideration or “not yet investigated”.

As for “agree[ing] appropriate modifications directly with landowners”, does that sound a bit cosy to anyone else?

Anne

Deadline or not 1000s of trails will be lost. I contacted North Somerset council last year after Forest England closed a trail with no notice that was used by walkers, bike and horses for decades. After they sent me a link to a 40 page document outlining the process it was evident no individual could ever do this. However a landowner can close down / move an historic right of way anytime with no deadline.

ratherbeintobago

It would be interesting to know where the other parties stand on this.

robertajobb

Time for rioting, burning down buildings and liberal guillotine use to the heads of the Bourgeoisie, just like the French did (and still do for 2 of those 3).

nickc

I honestly can’t work up the energy to be angry at the shit this government pulls anymore. Legality of access has made zero difference to where I choose to ride and pretty much always will anyway. If landowners are so shortsighted that they think these sorts of regressive cut-off tactics will make a difference to how people like me access the countryside that we all live in, then they deserve all the hassle that not sorting it brings them. Idiots.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I agree with Nickc. After watching the tory party debase values and ethics, if challenged whilst riding I’ve gone from saying I’m sorry to I don’t care. This it what happens when people like Boris get in power.

darlobiker

Maybe lobby the shadow minister. They’re more likely to make the final decision on this.

gk74

Labour have a clear position on opening up access around this agenda, sit tight and lets see what comes in with the next election. Hopefully this will be a short term win for a few privileged land owners.

pedallingviolin
    Free Member

Arise citizens, raise your battalions…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.