Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gore Phantom II Windstopper Windproof Jacket
  • andrewy33
    Free Member

Does anybody have one these jackets, I am very tempted by one but I also like the camo Gore jacket you can get. Any feedback gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance

mcboo
    Free Member

I've got a baggy softshell type and one similar to the Phantom II which is a much more snug fit….doesnt have removable arms. Both good but prefer the tight one, been commuting in it all winter, best jacket I've ever owned.

I've said it before….I really like Gore kit, it's all good and looks nice.

PS Please dont get the camouflage (DPM) jacket if you are ever going to go near a road. DPM is designed specifically to make you hard to see by enemy soldiers and I presume car drivers. Really silly. <Raps W.L Gore on knuckles>

Bez

Best piece of cycle clothing I have ever bought (well actually the first version fits me better, the II is a slightly less slim fit, but hey) and sees year-round use from subzero temperatures to cooler summer days. Wouldn't be without one.

Bez

one similar to the Phantom II which is a much more snug fit

What is it?

andrewy33
    Free Member

Hi Mcboo,

I like the look of the camo one for forest riding, but its the road aspect that puts me off. I have a bright yellow waterproof for the road but I want a jacket for both. Think it will be the blue/black phantom jacket for me.

cheers

mcboo
    Free Member

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_JWCONZ?landingid=1212722558082A

Contest SO Jacket……I do a bit of roadie, tight, snug fit…..really love it. And do you notice with Gore kit you can wash it to death and it always looks new? Fanboy me, but really, its quality.

DickBarton

I've got a black one, very pleased with it…mate runs a bike shop and has the camo in – apparently it's the latest craze but I think it looks hideous, I really do think in 6 months time no-one will be wearing it as it looks ridiculous.

I'd highly recommend the jacket but it's entirely your choice on the colours…

Bez

Yeah, I'm a Gore fan too. Superb quality and nice slim fit – I use mine for road as well. It all washes well apart from my Paclite, which has had mud stains from day one.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Please dont get the camouflage (DPM) jacket if you are ever going to go near a road. DPM is designed specifically to make you hard to see by enemy soldiers and I presume car drivers. Really silly.

You've noticed the big reflective panels on the back/sides, right?

[spotter mode] Actually, I think you'll find its US woodland pattern, DPM is entirely British concept[/spotter mode]

NigE5
    Free Member

I have one, just got it for Christmas.
    Not that warm in this cold weather, ok with 3 thin warm layers.
    Looking forward to using it when the weather gets warmer.

andrewy33
    Free Member

How does it work with the sleeves off and wearing a camelbak.

Bez

FWIW I find loading it up with layers underneath means the base layers and the microfleece inside the Phantom fill with sweat and lose insulation. A 200g Merino base keeps me happy down to a degree or two below zero – it took me a while to realise that unless it's super cold, adding another layer actually ends up being colder. YMMV, natch.

Bez

How does it work with the sleeves off and wearing a camelbak.

It doesn't keep the wind off your arms, and it sits underneath the Camelbak. HTH.

anc
    Free Member

If you after a good deal look at wiggle there knocking £20 off if you spend £100 before midnight tonight, so it'll cost you £80 if you take there price over the £100 threshold with a cheap bottle of something. 😉

andrewy33
    Free Member

Hi anc, Thats where is coming from, with some frame protectors, I also have £47 worth of vouchers for referring my boss, who then bought a new hardtail. So the jacket is going to cost me £32 quid, not bad eh??

easygirl

gb cycles have the phantom 3 in stock fro £49.99 at the moment
    limited sizes and colours but they have em

anc
    Free Member

Good effort, Gore stuff is top BTW, really durable and functional.

Bez

You sure? Their site is only showing the II at £80…

fbk
    Free Member

Bizarrely Wiggle have 2 different Phantom II jackets. Both descriptions are exactly the same but one is £99, one £89. I emailed them and they reckone the more expensive one is slightly thinner material but just as warm!

FWIW, I got the £89 one for Christmas and it's fab. Plenty warm enough, even now, with a thin merino beneath. With the £20 off £100 spend it's a bargain (it's how I got it in their pre christmas sales 🙂 )

anc
    Free Member

Easygirl its the balance 3 at £49.99 ,still a good deal on a very similar jacket.

LeeW

I love Gore kit, I had an Alp X jacket off Santa, last Saturday on the second time of wearing it I caught the right arm on a bush, tore a hole in it – I'm well miffed.

The Endura Air Defence jacket looks pretty good for the money though.

easygirl

yep the phantom 3

still a bargain

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gore Phantom II Windstopper Windproof Jacket’ is closed to new replies.