• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Google sketch up , How good is it?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

I’m a building surveying student just got my head round the basics of archi cad but a few people have told me about sketch up, is it any good. Easier to use/ more options? Currently doing a Grade 2 building and i cant find metal frame sash windows on archicad but i only have the student version.

thepurist

It’s got a very limited tools palette so is quick to learn, but compared to a ‘proper’ CAD system it’s really limited. In particular it’s handling of curves is poor. Useful for quick 3D modelling, a few add ons like Podium/LightUp get these models looking half respectable without too much faff.

So good enough at what it does, but no replacement for a meatier CAD system if that’s what you need.

redthunder
    Free Member

Very good 🙂

I wish I could use it better. I think there are few experts on here whi would help or advise.

matt_outandabout

Agree with the Purist – great for quick 3d sketches of stuff, getting ideas out there. The passive solar plugin is good for stuff as well. Its clever and good for planners when you can do a 3d render of a house, in place on a street etc.

Cracking program, just dont extpect it to be full CAD.

aP
    Free Member

We use it mass buildings, for fast 3d imaging and for presentation images – it can be pretty sophisticated in use, but we use microstation for critical modelling.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Google sketch up , How good is it?’ is closed to new replies.