Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Good weekend? ohhhhh yes :D
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

Well in addition to MY SATURDAY THREAD OF AWESOME… for anyone who cares to read about an overall happy weekend instead of the normal moaning:

Saturday’s exploits are well documented in the thread above… up to the point I wrote the post of course; afterwards mrsconsequence and I went down to Halfords to buy her a new helmet and I grabbed a new set of allen keys (which one of you stole my old set?!) so I can put a bottle cage on the winterbike 🙂

Got home and snuggled up on the sofa to watch “arthur” on DVD, then an early night falling asleep to the soothing sounds of David Attenborough chatting away about plants. Roll on Sunday morning and I’m up nice and early as normal, I creep downstairs and put on a “man-film” whilst mrsconsequence is still fast asleep.

The film in question is “hush” a British film that keeps me surprisingly interested the whole way through… more films should use unknown actors I think, much easier to engross yourself into a story when you’re not watching someone you’ve seen in many other roles.

9am comes and its time to wake up mrsconsequence by opening the curtains, jumping on the bed and generally being a nuisance 😀 time to put on a film in the bedroom (a “fun film” as she doesn’t like “man-films” which is why I have to wake up early and watch them) so the choice is “over the hedge” which she chuckles away to like a 4yr old. I hope that when I get older and look back, it’s going to be those stupidly comfortable moments when you look at your partner and smile inside that I remember… not her moaning about the housemate leaving a fork in the sink or something irritating.

Anyway, now its time to get ready and ride :D:D off to Swinley to meet up with a couple of people from lahhhhhhndahn, the car-parks surprisingly busy for a wet Sunday but we find a space less than 20ft from where they’ve parked.. kiss my face! Whilst unloading ze bikes I get a text from an old friend who hasn’t come riding with us for about 3 months saying he’s on his way… Jurassic park! once we’ve all gathered we set off into the mud.

Oh how I love mud 🙂 I aimed for every puddle and thoroughly enjoyed the conditions, it made me want to get off the bike, go to the shops and buy some wellington boots just so I could jump around in the muddy puddles some more. We made our way along the fire-roads to the first chosen bit of singletrack… it’s busy and there’s a lot of bikes about the place but everyone seems in a good mood and lots of polite nods, “hellos” and “thanks you”s as we stop and let people pass. Eventually we end up in the “expert mountain bike area” and hit the labyrinth, normally we turn off at a junction and it drops us back onto a fire-raod but this time we took a different turn and did the whole length of the beast… great fun! Very impressed by the lahhhndahn friends as they ride everything we hit on old, rusting, rigid bikes. One of the bikes cant have cost more than 60quid new and the other was found in a field apparently!

Back up to the top of the hill and another friend meets up with us for a second run, this time down a different route; but its fast, swoopy and I hit it with more speed than I’ve done anything before, a little drifting of the back tyre in the mud and all of a sudden I’m out the bottom with a buzzing skull like a jar full of bees, happy fat full of honey bees! GREAT FUN 😀

The sun is starting to set so we choose a scenic singletracky route back to the lookout and load up the cars. back home and it’s time to put a chicken in the oven and prepare some veg for a roast… once that’s all in and on I jump back in the car and go visit the guy who met up with us at the labyrinth to wash out bikes and enjoy a nice cup of tea whilst watching Invader Zim. Then back home, finish cooking the roast, fill my belly with awesome, long hot shower, comfy clothes and time to curl up on the sofa under a quilt with mrsconsequence 🙂

Film of the night is “Wall-E”, throw in a big mug of hot chocolate and by the end I’m struggling to keep my eyes open… it’s not a boring film, I’m just shattered from a brilliant weekend and stupendously satisfying ride. Off to bed nice and early 😀

A fantastic weekend, great ride and that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Hope you all had a good’n too!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good work Phil, but why did you start an Awesome thread in the other forum??

iDave
    Free Member

Am I supposed to read all of that? ^^^

Some of us have work to do you know…

philconsequence
    Free Member

😯 not the other forum! 😆 ‘cos it involved buying a new bike and the classifieds in a way… so pretty bikey i thought at the time.

i must remember my place in the future though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I never go there, well I went there once and asked a question about a bicycle. I didn’t like it.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I had a ripe tard of a weekend, the culmination of a months combined illness for meself and MrsT. Fighting, sulking, no riding as a result of a bad finger, bit of a showdown in a restaruant. Can’t beat an anniversary.

🙁

Glad to hear that you are keeping the flames of enthusiasm and yoof alive old bean. Us old types have to balance out all of this joyous malarkey you see…

Torminalis
    Free Member

I never go there, well I went there once and asked a question about a bicycle. I didn’t like it.

I get strangely nervous when I post there. Tis like the apartheid of the cycling world.

philconsequence
    Free Member

was the fighting because it wasn’t a proper restaraunt torm? did you take her to an indian themed building that used to be a happy eater and still has an elephant climbing frame outside?

sorry to hear you had a bad one dude 🙁

*Bro-hug*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pah, I just don’t really talk about bikes, it’s too serious. I talk about rubbish. Lots and lots of rubbish.

I did accidentally post on there when I first joined the forum, I didn’t know ‘Chat’ existed. I was called a troll and my threads were removed. This is my spiritual home.

Torminalis
    Free Member

oooh, tis a long and contrived story, the likes of which would have you reaching to dab the tears of empathetic woe from your puffy eyes.

All better now.

On the upside, today I am taking delivery of a super kingsize pocketprung mother of a bed so the venue for the kissing and making up is less bed, more padded cell! Urng!

DezB
    Free Member

Conversely, I get more nervous posting in this forum. I know a bit about bikes, but I know noting of “Chat”.
    Anyway, I haven’t had a weekend of bicycling buzz in a while, (do ride out with my hound almost every night), but I had a marvellous weekend of truly mind-blowing gigs.
    One DJ., electronic type bloke I’d seen before and knew I was in for a treat, and Saturday night not knowing what to expect, and having my head blown off by a Marshall stack squeezed into one of the smallest venues I’ve been in was bloody marvellous.
    I’m never gonna grow out of this wonder for great, or just f-in mad music. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

I posted once over ‘there’- I don’t actually like bikes that much, I just like riding them. I come ‘here’ to talk about random shit.

philconsequence
    Free Member

well you know what they say Dezzy my child…

if music be the food of love… shove it down your mouth ’til your belly explodes!

nomnomnom

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’m never gonna grow out of this wonder for great, or just f-in mad music

I actually have an opening for a new music pimp so any suggestions are well appreciated. Especially at the mad end of the scale.

I don’t actually like bikes that much, I just like riding them.

Couldn’t agree more, been riding for 20 years now and I really cannot think of anything less interesting than what sort of metal my bike is made out of. Shiny metal?

DezB
    Free Member

Mad of the weekend was
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O–uJVyD07I[/video]

Unfortunately she didn’t wear the pink lycra, but she crowd surfed bumping into the lights as she was groped around. (Very low ceiling)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dez – You coming to ride at Swinely in a couple of weeks time?

DezB
    Free Member

I should think I could make that. What’s the date?

_tom_
    Free Member

A-haa, I like your use of Alan Partridge references 😀 Nice write up. My weekend was a bit crap as I basically spent it cleaning the oven and my car, then watching tv. I did go and play pool on Friday night though, retaining my “grand champion” status.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

4th or 5th of December? (that’s right isn’t it Phil?)

philconsequence
    Free Member

either sat 4th or sunday 5th December, date to be confirmed but looking more like the sunday am i right TSY?

timing = 11:40ish in the carpark at the lookout, plan to set of riding about 12 🙂

*normal group ride rules i suppose:

1) bring your own spares,
    2) bring your own water,
    3) wear a helmet if you’ve got one or do your own risk assessment and dont,
    4) bring your own bike instead of one you stole on the way,
    5) we ride at the pace of the slowest rider (mrs consequence) or we ride at our own pace and wait at the top of the next hill/section for others to catch up.

6)it will be a chilled mess around type ride, no pressure on slow people to keep up, no pressure on sensible conversation, by starting at 12 we should get 3 hours of chatting/riding/pushing TSY into the bushes in before the sun starts to set.

next weekend i’ll prob start a seperate thread with more details, meeting place, email so i can build up a lsit of mobile numbers of people hoping to come and other boring organising type stuff. in the meantime we all need to work on persuading C_G to come for a play 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, will check the calendar tonight, but I think it’s free. C_G’s been off the bike for a while hasn’t she?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I have a grand to spend in evans and that weekend will be the first weekend I will have a chance to go and spend it. This means that a Sunday is better for me as it will give me a chance to come and play on my new steed.

I think it will be made of red metal for the scientists amongst you.

Don’t tell anyone but I am actually quite excited at the prospect of a blat around Swinley. Haven’t been there for a couple of years and I have been needing something to get the old enthusiasm back on form.

Woooooooo!

woodsman
    Free Member

wtf! is that a page from Adrian Mole’s diary!!

😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

adrian mole…i’m too young and full of youthful enthusiasm to know what you’re talking about old man! 😛 😉

(only thing i can remember from an adrian mole book was when it spoke about channel 4 coming on the tv for the first time)

new dandyhorse you say torm?! if you like i could make you a front crudcatcher out of an old coke bottle and some gaffa tape for it?

Torminalis
    Free Member

if you like i could make you a front crudcatcher out of an old coke bottle and some gaffa tape for it?

I have a load of crudcatchers. They are called teeth.

woodsman
    Free Member

I guessed that much phil! 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I have several crudcatchers, some old shimano thumbshifters, and a large cardboard box of slightly mildewed gentleman’s relaxation magazines, all of which I stole when I was living in the southern yeti’s shed. You’re welcome to it all!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mitch – I would very much like the July ’86 Issue of Readers Wives back please? You know the one in the plastic cover? My mum was the centrefold.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

She was very, ahem, ‘hirsute’ as I recall. Looked like she was wearing an all over dog hair outfit. Is nice! And I’m sorry, but I cant let you have it back, as I ate it, along with several copies of ‘butt pie’, when you stopped leaving biscuits out for me…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I personally think the post shave pics on pg 56-57 are better. I still recognise her but it looks a lot less like the mum I know.

toby1

I managed to massively sorain my ankle on Saturday morning – but still managed to have a pretty good weekend as we had a house party saturday night and I manged to be capable of none of the preparation or post party cleanup, infact still sitting with an elevated foot as it’s all black and blue at the moment!

Think it’ll be a week till I can cycle on it again and probably a month till I’m running again – bugger!

cinnamon_girl

Morning all. 🙂

Once again, another entertaining thread!

OK, seeing as I’m the Queen of Self-Deprecation, I’ll pop along wearing my thick skin. Can only ride for an hour due to shonky body so shall peel off somewhere along the way.

Will be good to meet you all. 8)

Edit: Dez – you coming along with singletrackmind? Will be nice to catch up.

emsz
    Free Member

After a bit of a rubbish end to the week I had a lovely weekend. Lie in on Saturday with telly tea and toast in bed with partner then some shopping and a club later. Sunday we went for a long riverside walk and a pub lunch.

Lush

Dezb can’t wait for tomorrow to see them were they loud enough?

philconsequence
    Free Member

horay for C_G 🙂 be good to meet you 🙂

the first hour will prob contain most of the riding anyway, by the second hour we’ll probably be building a pillow fort and playing kiss-chase or something 😆

b’mitch and TSY can you stop talking about my ex-wife like that! she was reluctant enough to pose for those photos worrying about people discussing her in such a way!

DezB
    Free Member

emsz – Sleigh Bells you mean? Ah, they blew my stupid old head off. Utterly utterly fab. Report back after you’ve seen them!

C_G – should be able to persuade him out.

cinnamon_girl

[goes into bimbo mode] …

Is this on the Saturday on Sunday please?

OK, back to the Bike Forum to sort out my current obsession with 853 steel singlespeeds. 🙄

sc-xc

Phil, ace post. You rock 😀

singletrackmind

I should be there. Hpefully it wont be -7’C like last time we rode Swinley in December. I seem to remember mine was the only working camalbak as i had filled it with hot water , everyone elses froze !
    Are we riding at 11.40 ( seems late to me , but whatever , its not like I have anything else to do ) or meeting at 11.40 for a 12.00 start.
    Dez.- Got my eye on an ASR , fancy a 4″ lightweight so I can go a little quicker up the hills

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Swinley?

In two weeks?

Why haven’t I bin invited?

Don’t want to come anyway it’s rubbish and youse are all mean and smelly. 😥

(Runs off sobbing)

cinnamon_girl

Elf – it’s not an official C_G sanctioned event, more a collection of internet weirdos who are positively disadvantaged with unfortunate habits. 🙄

I’m a little concerned by the mention of His Awesomeness and his penchant for gentlemen in suede jackets. That sort of behaviour will not be tolerated at Swinley Forest so I shall be self-appointed Minister of Public Decency.

C_G rules innit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Good weekend? ohhhhh yes :D’ is closed to new replies.