Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Good tools you rarely use, and good tools you are always using…
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There are some tools which do the job perfectly, but you almost never need… Satisfying to own, but mainly sit on the shelf.

Then there are others which turn out to be way more useful than you expected, and you use all the time.

For me, in the perfect but rarely used category I’d put my Headset Press, and my biscuit jointer.

In the much better than I thought category I’d put a Park tools 3 way hex key, and a cordless circular saw.

Anyone got any personal faves?

BoardinBob

Superstar bearing puller and frame bearing tools

Rarely used but any time they are, it makes the job so much easier than a bodged solution

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Obvious ones but – not often used: BB Cup removal spanner Park tools, torque wrench Park tools

Often used – Generic multi tool supplied by Moda when I (foolishly) bought a very high end Carbon road bike, cheapo set of Hex keys own brand from Edin Bike coop.

bearnecessities

My OTT shiny halfords socket set. Rarely use it, but it’s lovely.

Merak

Hardly use but the smell when it fires great!

Use all the time no need for anything fancier;

maccruiskeen

The funny thing is – a good tool can get little use precisely because it is good, it saves so much time and bother.

Tools that have made the biggest diffeence to me –
    plunging rail saw. So much quicker and cleaner and more accurate to work with than a regular circular saw, its changed the way I spec and plan jobs.

Cats Paw

Those knipex plier-spanner thingys

Things that get the least:

Biscult jointer and electric planer get the least use – I even store them in one box now and haven’t opened it again since I put them in there

SDS drill – on rare occasions its essential but theres hardly ever a circumstance where a cordless drill wouldn’t do the job quicker than walking out to the van to get the SDS

jemima
    Free Member

I just leave my Dremel on the workbench all the time now. Obviously has it’s limitations but so handy for so many things.

And a cordless drill. Mine gets used very often.

lunge

Used least but awesome:
    Park workshop chain tool.
    PX Cable cutters.

Used loads and still awesome:
    Track pump (does this count as a tool?)
    Good, ball ended hex keys.

wwaswas

rarely;

Often;

duntstick
    Free Member

Topeak 5nm for my Supersix Evo. Use it all the time, great for peace of mind when tightening aluminium or carbon parts

Hobster
    Free Member

Irwin Quick grips and 10.8v cordless drill make jobs a hell of a lot easier.

Plunge saw used less often but when I do I wonder how I managed without it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

cheap stanley screwdriver that belongsed to the GF. reversible end for cross/ flat/ then each bit is reversible for large/ small.

I have a nice set of proper screwdrivers but this works for 90% of things and is much easier to grab.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Always use this bought to get free postage on an on one order…

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0733/3725/products/TOJWHEX3_P1_large.jpg?v=1428953151

Northwind

Always using- my fairly cheap Draper Expert p-handled allens (don’t judge me- they’re randomly excellent), Teng screwdriver set, the Bahco 1/2 inches that live in the car (just because they live in the car really), and my cheap orange black and decker electric screwdriver. Hammer of Thor that my grandad stole from the RAF, so I didn’t feel guilty about stealing from him.

Rarely use- circlip pliars. But after, many years ago, discovering that my cheap circlip pliars couldn’t get a ring off the shift detente spring in my bike, meaning that having spent about 2 hours opening the engine up I then had to put it all back together without achieving any of the things I wanted to, including using up a brand new gasket set, so I could ride it to work the next day… Well, I bought some very nice circlip pliars. And I’ve used them maybe 20 times total but quite a few of those times, it’s been some job where not having them would have been a total bastard.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve got the full Klein toolkit for replacing Airhead headset bearings. Only thing is that although the ones in my ’94 Attitude are now 20 years old they are still as smooth as ever!

hatter

Used almost constantly.

Used very rarely, mainly because it scares the crap out of me and I value having all ten fingers and thumbs.

LoCo
    Free Member

Rarely used, post bumper & fence wire tensioners

Used daily, 100 litre heated parts washer & Snap on picks

craigxxl
    Free Member

Used often -Leatherman Charge Ti and Bahco Hex Keys (around 20 years of use).

Rarely used – Cordless reciprocating saw but can save so much time when it is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used rarely – Dewalt impact driver. Fantastic piece of kit, drives 150mm screws into wet joists etc absolutely no problem.

Used regularly – Topeak superchuck. Just works.

binners

Mrs Binners bought me one of these…

Best. Pressie. Ever.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Park spoke tensiometer. I’m not good enough at wheel building to make a decent set without it.

bencooper
    Free Member

Tools that I use all the time: Rohloff chain tool, and an ancient Park 3-way hex tool.

Tools I rarely use but they’re invaluable when I do use them: Crown race pulling tool, mudguard hole punch, fixed cup BB tool,…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a deburring tool that only really come out when cutting steerer tubes, it is very satisfying to use though.

The bearing puller/slide hammer is also lovely.

Snap-on T bar hex keys seem to see the most use.

Lummox

Soooo tempted for the knipex plied wrench

my votes for a shock bushing tool, satisfying!

Olly
    Free Member

Dremel.
    One of those things that i wonder how people live without, and should it die would buy a replacement the same day. Sits on my indoor work desk most of the time, ready to go. (tragic, i know)

Ive got a nice set of needle files i was bought when i was younger by my clock making grandfather. Rarely use them, as i have a dremel, which is quicker and in many respects more delicate.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Best is a snap on long ratchet screwdriver and associated bits…..use all the time.

Less used, but lovely is my smith and Wesson rescue tool, which lives in my tunic….when I need it, it’s perfect. Bought in 1996, and still going strong. I also never lend this out, even if the lendee is in eyesight of me!

nedrapier

Weird

Dremel.
    One of those things that i wonder how people live without, and should it die would buy a replacement the same day. Sits on my indoor work desk most of the time, ready to go. (tragic, i know)

Ive got a nice set of needle files i was bought when i was younger by my clock making grandfather. Rarely use them, as i have a dremel, which is quicker and in many respects more delicate.

I also like my dremel, don’t use it loads, sometimes a handtool can do a neater job, but it can be a lifesaver for things like cutting notches in rotten bolt heads.

And I also have a set of needle files from my clock-making grandfather! These get used fairly often for tidying up small jobs, fettling things to fit other things.

onandon
    Free Member

My cordless dremel is probably my most used tool and the most enjoyable 🙂

The park tools three sided hex key ninja star is also a great addition to your tool kit.

CHB

oh…is it just me that has gone down this “list” and mentally ticked off “yes, yes, yes, no….hmmm, must buy”?

nedrapier

Yup, I can see Santa bringing me a 3 sided hex hey. maybe a torque wrench/key too.

senorj

I have some lovely crow & pry bars – very satifying ripping up houses with them , they’re hidden in the shed.
    I have two small ,very old, generic screwdrivers , a flat blade one(red) and a Phillips(blue). I use them all the time – over the fancy dan Bahco ones my boy has stolen.

kayak23

Constantly using my Hitachi impact driver. Impact drivers were a revelation to me relatively recently. Invaluable for recent shed building.

Recently added to it with the jigsaw and angle grinder. Brilliant.

More rarely I use my beautiful Quangsheng No.6 plane from Workshop Heaven. I usually cope with the cheapy Record planes lying about but the No.6 is just beautiful to use.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

CHB me too 😳

going to be looking for dremels in the sales

dexa

Dam you lot, its your fault. I have just had to purchase a Knipex mini plier wrench. My resistance was low this morning. Note to self, I must not be led astray by STW, I must not be led astray by STW, I…..

CHB

I got the Knipex last month after someone posted a PSA about them. Great piece of kit! Dremels are great, get a cordless one (the lower powered one is fine I found). Having it cordless means it gets used for countless small jobs.
    So far I am not looking at the list above and thinking…hmmm…. Must buy.

footflaps

My fave tool is this baby

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If you do want the Knipex thingy – can be cheaper via Amazon.de like quite a lot of stuff.

mintimperial

Rarely use: Works Components bearing press set. Bloody great when you do use it though, compared to bodging with sockets and hammers and whatnot.

Use loads: cheapo, ancient B and Q socket set which is surprisingly good quality, plus a Norbar torque wrench.

solamanda
    Free Member

My Pedros star nut tool is rarely used but oh so satisfying.

pjt201
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother – Member
    If you do want the Knipex thingy – can be cheaper via Amazon.de like quite a lot of stuff.

So I went on Amazon.de to see if Wera stuff is cheaper (it is), and found this: Wera advent calendar

Good god, why didn’t I know about this sooner – amazing!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Good tools you rarely use, and good tools you are always using…’ is closed to new replies.