Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Good Samaritan
  • badllama
    Free Member

Well it’s been a crap week at work/personal life lots of hassle and pressure decided to have a blast on the bike to get my head straight this evening.

It’s a quick 18 mile blast straight out the door nothing big just canal paths and cycle routes anyway 6 miles from home big bang from the back tire no problem I though I carry 2 spare tubes stopped looked down and the rim is completely destroyed!

The side has literally peeled away from the main rim, spokes gone with it, rear wheel well and truly shagged.

So I tape the bit of rim that was peeled away from the main part of the wheel to the spokes and start pushing myself the 6 mile walk home.

Gone 500 yards under a bridge when I hear a horn, guy in a transit shouts down if I’m all right? Tell him wheels had it and he calls me back to the road.

He explains he had seen be push past his narrow boat and asks where I live? I give him the name of a pub nearby and then says hes not an axe murderer or anything laughing and if i wanted a lift?

Bike loaded into his van had nice chat with the guy, seems a decent bloke give him my actual address and he take me all the way home!!

Sort him out with a couple of beers i had in the fridge and some cash, he refused the cash but I just threw it on the passenger seat of his van anyway for diesel.

So cheers Alex your a top bloke!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Nice to know there are still some good people.

(Unless he comes back next week and takes all your bikes away in his transit van while you’re at work.)

blitz

Nice.

Reminds me of a road ride a few years ago in winter when I came to a part of the road that was completely flooded for a good 100 yards. Didn’t fancy wading through pretty deep freezing water and there was no option to go round. I was just weighing this all up and contemplating the massive detour I’d have to do to backtrack when a bloke in a van pulled up. He could see my predicament so offered to take me through. Put the bike in the back of the van and drove through the flood before dropping me out the other side. Top bloke!

Had it the other way too. Was riding a few weeks ago in the local woods and on the fire road that intersects it I came across a young student lad pushing a BSO with a flat. He was cycling 6 miles home from work and had picked up the flat about a mile in. He’d already pushed it 2 miles when I saw him. Offered him my spare tube but he had no clue what to do to fix it so ended up sorting it for him. He was very grateful to say the least.

njee20
    Free Member

I nearly always have a track pump in the car, and have helped fix many a puncture at the roadside! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah but charging me £50 to pump up two flats was a tad harsh IMO.

mattbee

Few years ago my nan came off her moped on a quiet country lane. She wasn’t badly hurt but broke a brake lever & damaged throttle so couldn’t ride it. Before she could decide what to do (no mobile reception) a guy in a van stopped & asked what was up. Ended up with him putting the ‘ped in the back of his van, taking her home & then once she’d phoned local repair place dropping off the moped for her. He wouldn’t take any payment and didn’t leave any details.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Good Samaritan’ is closed to new replies.