Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Good real ale pub in Cockermouth area?
  • ton

any shouts for a good real ale pub in Cockermouth area?
    please and thank you.

Waderider
    Free Member

The Bitter End.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s a bar at the jennings brewery – £15 quid for a tour some beer and a pie and pea supper. Job done.

ton

that looks perfect waderider.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I can’t bear rejection. especially inthe form of an edit 😥

ton

i was in mid type when you posted mate, i will visit the brewery for a pot too.
    and thanks for the heads up.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Cockermouth. Teehee!

d45yth
    Free Member

The Bitter End isn’t really a drinking pub these days. It used be great but they did away with the seats at the bar and tried to serve fancier food…it’s never really recovered.
    There’s the Castle Bar in Market Place – if you’re there through the day most ales are £2 a pint!
    The 1761 is opposite there – I like it but they have a lot of guest ales on, so it’s just luck if they’ve got what you like.
    There’s also the Bush on Main Street which sells lots of the local brewery’s ales.
    I should say that I live in Cockermouth and won’t drink in many places due to what beers they sell.

Harris
    Free Member

The Bush and Castle Bar get my vote. I think The Swan at the top of Kirkgate is open again. d45yth will know, being a native. In short, if you can’t get drunk on ale in Cockermouth you’re not trying hard enough.

eruptron
    Free Member

The Bitter End isn’t really a drinking pub these days. It used be great but they did away with the seats at the bar and tried to serve fancier food…it’s never really recovered.
    There’s the Castle Bar in Market Place – if you’re there through the day most ales are £2 a pint!
    The 1761 is opposite there – I like it but they have a lot of guest ales on, so it’s just luck if they’ve got what you like.
    There’s also the Bush on Main Street which sells lots of the local brewery’s ales

This pretty much sums it up.
    There is also the Kingfisher if you fancy Robinsons usually have Dizzy blonde and Trooper on.
    Also the Belle Vue up at Papcastle a couple of miles up the road but again food pub with beer. Only been the once though.
    When we moved into the area we where pretty suprised how busy it was out on a Friday and Saturday night.

karnali
    Free Member

Castle 1761 bush all good.

breadcrumb

Another vote for the Castle Bar. Normally got a few different ales on. Tasty pint of Loweswater Gold is what I’d usually get in there.

Daffy

The Bitter End.

+1

cdaimers

Used to live 35 walking paces from bitter end…gets my vote as does castle bar…..

ton

cheers all.

boxelder

Castle, 1761, Bitter End and Swan are all within 200m of each other – first hand research is key (but only the Castle has Loweswater Gold). Alternatively, if camping, The Wheatsheaf in Lorton has campsite and proper food and beer. Just a shame it’s run by a Yorkshireman…..

Trekster

You moving to the Lakes Ton?

ton

You moving to the Lakes Ton?

lets just say I am on a scouting trip…. 😀

honeybadgerx

What happened to the bottling operation the Bitter End brewery had a few years back? They did some cracking beers and I’d always fill the car before heading home.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Cockermouth”… snigger …

d45yth
    Free Member

Honeybadgerx – The bottling operation separated from the pub and moved to a small industrial estate…I’m not sure if it’s still on the go or not. I know a bloke who used to get what was left over from brewing to feed to his horses.

boxelder

Bitter End Brewery blog
    Not updated since the ‘Great flood’ of 5 yrs ago…….

honeybadgerx

Bummer, though interestingly if you click on the link in the blog to the Bitter End Brewing Co. website, it takes you to a webpage full of Japanese. Slightly regretting doing so on my work laptop now…

d45yth
    Free Member

It’s a lot less than 5 years since my mate was getting stuff from them. I’ve just texted him to see what’s happened, he just says they’re not making at the moment…whether that means they will be again, I don’t know.

ton

I had a pint of bitter end at a little bar in Keswick last weekend.
    so they must be still brewing it.

and I will be in cockermouth by 4.30/5ish if anyone fancies a pint or 3.

d45yth
    Free Member

Start in the Castle then, Ton. Ales will be £2 until 6.30, then you can move on before they put shite music on and it fills up with young ‘uns (just because it’s Friday). All the other pubs attract an older crowd. And I know it’s not a real ale, but I had a great pint of Erdinger in 1761 the other night.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, have you read this?

Basically a real ale LeJog

RustySpanner

Alternatively, if camping, The Wheatsheaf in Lorton has campsite and proper food and beer.

16 of us rented the Old Vicarage when we were kids.
    The Wheatsheaf basically adopted a bunch of idiots for the week.

They were lovely to us.
    🙂

Brilliant pub.

biglee1

I do like the bitter end, try the shipyard lager as well, really nice 😀
    As was mentioned before, if you don`t manage to find a good beer in the home town of Jennings you need evicted!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Good real ale pub in Cockermouth area?’ is closed to new replies.