• This topic has 54 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Gone tubeless and regretted it?
  • nosedive
    Free Member

It’s definitely worth a go if you have Flow rims and new tyres. It’s no magic bullet, and any tyre can get damaged, but for me at 14stone + most punctures were pinch punctures and I dont get those any more which has been well worth it. I get a puncture maybe 3 times a year now, it used to be every week.

zippykona

I read all this and keep thinking I should give it another go.
    Maybe im just unlucky.

chiefgrooveguru

What tyres/rims have you used Zippy?

VanHalen

i like the idea but in practice i`ve had middleing results.

its a bugger to setup and, as i discovered recently doesnt always seal punctures.

i do prefer the feel and the option to batter through stuff without worrying about pinch flats though.

there are not enough light but decent friendly tyres either.

Nick

Since getting Stans Crest rims I’ve had no regrets at all, so far have used Bonty Mud-x, Schwalbe Nobby Nic and now On One Smorgasbord.

Had a little trouble getting the Smorgs sealed when I first got them so ran them with tubes for a couple of month, hedge triming ment that I had 3 punctures in two days (no punctures for over a year before that when tubeless) so last night I had another go.

Bearing in mind the tyres already have thorn holes in them I was a little sceptical that I would be sucessful.

However with a bit of soapy water up they went, bang bang the beads went into the rim with only a few bubbles blowing from the holes.

Pressure released and then a scoop of stans sealant in each. Pumped back up, lovely job.

Except I’d put one tyre on the wrong way around, no problem, let out air, pop off rim, carefully pull tyre off the wheel, swap round, back on rim, pump back up again.

250g saved.

What the **** is there not to like?

rewski
    Free Member

Yes and no, setting up is fine if you’ve got a bit of time not to rush it, it’s also a doddle with the right tyre and ust rim combo, it’s a real pita if you’re not getting a good seal or the tyre wall splits. I always keep a tube on me.

zippykona

Stans arch rims with maxxis crossmarks, and maxxis ignitor using stans fluid.
    The ignitor got a small hole in it which I put the anchovy in. At the time it worked a treat but eventually failed.
    The crossmarks punctured a few times. So I used puncture patches on the inside which have held. The stans did seal one hole but it took 3 days.
    Fitting the ignitors is really easy the crossmarks ,well trying to refit one that’s been off a few times is the straw that did it for me.
    Come the winter I have a tubeless mud x for the front and ignitor for the rear. Shall have one more go but the crossmarks are never going to seal again.

rewski
    Free Member

Except I’d put one tyre on the wrong way around

Me too, to be honest I left it last time, how much difference does it make, will I die?

iain65
    Free Member

I lashed out a while ago and bought a small compressor for inflating tyres, never had a problem setting up since, also great for drying the bike off after cleaning.

We have 8 bikes in the family running tubeless and no punctures in the last 2 years since I converted (except one when it was about -10degC, not sure if the sealant works well at that point).

clubber
    Free Member

The ignitor got a small hole in it which I put the anchovy in. At the time it worked a treat but eventually failed.

I’ve had the anchovies holding 60+psi on a cross bike so they definitely are capable of sealing properly. I did consider that they could be used with, say a small bit of cocktail stick in the loop inside the tyre to ensure that there’s no way that they could be dislodged but I’ve never found the need.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope, not in the slightest.

I’ve got Stans 355’s on one bike with Specialized 2Bliss tyres, stans tape & valves with sealant, up first time witha track pump and have been ever since.

On the other I’ve got Stans Crests with either Specialized 2Bliss or Bonty TLR’s, stans tape & valves with sealant, up first time witha track pump and have been ever since.

Geting the initial set up correct is the key, scotchbrite the rims, clean properly, tape up, fit tyre & tube, inflate, leave for a few hours / overnight, remove tube, put sealant in and re-inflate. You only need to do it right once and then it just works.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I found it very frustrating initially, but now I have no problems. Its still a pain ion the ass is you want to quickly chANGE TYRES for the conditions, so i generally don’t do that anymore. No regrets, You still carry a tube just in case, I also carry a tyre boot and the worm things

zippykona

The anchovy failed when I lent my bike to someone so can’t say how it happened. Having seen how they seal from the inside I can’t see how it did. It just doesn’t feel like a proper fix to me. On motorbikes there’s those mushroom things do they do them for push bikes?

ibnchris

YEah, I tried them (came fitted on a bike I bought) and had no end of problem. Bought lighter tyres and fitted tubes and no issues now. Probably a touch lighter than orginal set up if anything…

Nick

rewski – Member

Except I’d put one tyre on the wrong way around
    Me too, to be honest I left it last time, how much difference does it make, will I die?

Well the way the smorgs are designed you can see how the sipps will deform to provide more grip, which may have played on my mind when riding really steep stuff.

Anyhow I figured I’d see how easily/quickly I could take off a tyre and refit it, all that would be needed to actually change tyres is a syringe, wouldn’t take much more time than fitting an inner tube so I don’t accept the argument that it isn’t as easy to swap tyres quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Gone tubeless and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.