Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gone 1×11 and regretted it?
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new bike which may be a 1×11 specific frame so no option to change to 2×10 if I don’t like it.

What are your experiences? I’m pretty fit but haven’t ridden 1×11 before. This would be on a full suss for trail centres and trips abroad so would involve decent amounts of climbing.

Will my legs explode or is it not massively different to a 2×10?

tomhoward

I was apprehensive of not being able to quickly drop into a granny gear on short sharp climbs, but it’s really no issue. I now have it on all my mtbs, except the singlespeed…

geetee1972
    Free Member

It really depends on where you ride most. If you’re riding the road a lot, then maybe you will miss the added ratios. If not, then it’s unlikely. I never regretted going to 1×9 let alone 1×11 but I only ever rode off road and was more focused on going fast over technical terrain, where a 32t front 11t rear is more than big enough for speed. I struggled a little with a maximum 32t rear. Going to 1×10 and getting a 36t rear made a huge difference. With 1×11 the only issue you will have is the jump between gears.

stoney
    Free Member

No! 😛

The old HT had a compact drive crankset. 20/32. 11 34 rear cassette. The gears in inches are as follows;

20t to 34 15.5
    20t to 30 17.6 (my second sprocket)
    Most folk have a 22t, so,

22 to 34 17.1
    22t to 32 18.1.

Assuming you`re going 650b with Sram stuff then as follows;

28t 42 17.3
    30t 42 18.6.

I went with the 28 front ring (XX1 only) as we have steep hills round here and it`s ok. I got used to using my second gear sprocket as bottom gear so that it compares in terms of gear size
    At the other end the 10 sprocket is fine for me, yes a smaller gear than i had but i can still pedal it ok on road etc and not be “undergeared”
    Remember though…the bigger wheels do roll over slightly better and you do climb/descend faster…..

gamerriley
    Free Member

Went 1×10 a while back, converting from 2×10 on my old Stumpy and loved it. Newish bike is 1×11 and is even better.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

nope, although id been 1×10, 1×9, 1×8 before that, think I’ve had a front mech on a mtg for sub 100 miles in the last 15 years

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Cool. I ride single speed more often than not so used to not always having the perfect gear.

Sounds like it should be fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Not at all. Taken mine on group road rides and it’s fine. Noticeably more at both ends than 1×10.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve swapped and so has the OH once he saw how I got on, no regrets from either of us and you wouldn’t convince us to go back either.

downhilldave

Love it. Only one shifter to think about now. Gone from 3 x 9 Xtr to 2 x 10 Xtr,to 1 x 11 and thought each step would be a problem. Not so 😆

dunmail
    Free Member

You don’t say what wheel size but I reckon that for 29ers you probably want a 30T or 32T chainring; 32/34 for 27.5 and 34/36 for 26 inch wheels. These will give you roughly the same range. Choose the lower size if you mainly ride in a hilly area, the larger if you are particularly fit/strong.

I’ve a 1×10 and find I spend most of my time in gears 3 – 8; some time in 2 & 9 and a little time in 1 & 10. If I spin out then usually I’m going quick enough that I’ll be freewheeling anyway.

I went straight from 3×9 to 1×10 and thought I’d struggle but it hasn’t been a problem.

Like others have said, the simplicity is great: start to struggle then click down a gear; too easy – go up a gear. No wondering if you should change at the front as well.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

27.5 most likely.

robj20
    Free Member

Love 1×11, took me a while to decide to get it but it was well worth it, i use a 30t ring and it does me just fine. I could manage with a 32t but that would mean more time in the 42t gear which wears much faster than the rest. As it is for hill climbing i spend most of my time in the 36t.

julzm
    Free Member

Run the gear ratios through a ratio calculator and you’ll find that sram 1×11 is not that different (top and bottom end range) from 2×10. The main difference is the gears in the middle range. However, there is so much overlap in 2×10 with gearing on small and big front chainrings that’s it’s really unnecessary.

1×11 is way better than 1×10 conversions which you do feel the compromise in (I have bikes with both). Main difference in 1×11 v 2×10 is that it’s really easy to always find the right gear. No more being caught in too low a gear for a slog rooty climb and needing to grind through it cos there’s no opportunity to jump down to granny ring. There just seems to be a lot more torque in the lower range.

I am definitely not the fittest and I’m asthmatic but I find 1×11 an absolute revelation and would not have anything else now.

wiggles
    Free Member

1×11 is awesome. Gone 3×9 to 1×10 and I struggled in places. But 1×11 doesn’t feel like a compromise like 1×10 it is just enough of what you need.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m 1×10 with 32×40 as my bottom , I ride round Manchester, todmorden last night was interesting with some serious hills.

No issues/regrets though, love the simplicity and find myself climbing in harder gears cos I know exactly where they are. Check the Monday night pub ride thread to see the hills!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gone 1×11 and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.