Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Going to war with a bank – advice please
  • Jolsa

Barclays has gone and ‘lost’ some money, when transferring it. Weeks of passing the buck, stalling, promises, lies, speaking to managers and their managers, more lies and now admission that they’ve ‘lost it’.

Who is best to complain to? Ombudsman? This is such a disaster that compensation is definitely due. I’ve read a few letters pages in the broadsheets here and there where the chap contacts the institution on your behalf and gets a result (obviously out of negative pr than anything else) – can anyone point me in the direction of such a person?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just go tothe ombudsman, or write to the broadhseets.

If they’ve admitted to losing your money then they owe you it. It’s that simple.

Stoner
    Free Member

you really need to start with the ombudsman, other routes may not be open to you until you have, but it takes time.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Barclays are good with complaints. Ask to be put through to customer relations. If that doesn’t work email them. Threaten them with the FSA. Any complaint made to them no matter how stupid they will fine Barclays £500 straight off. So if the money and inconvenience caused is worth less than the £500 they will usually make an offer and sort it quickly!

Jolsa

Can I write to the Ombudsman, broadsheets and FSA all at once? 😉 Seriously, family member dies and they have lost all money as well as copies of passport, will, other documents. Trying to cover up their tracks, stalling and blatantly lying has got me fuming – I was actually shaking with rage when my Mum was explaining everything she had gone through.

Was just thinking that it would be good to get a bit of bad publicity for Barclays at the same time, hence broadsheets approach.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, will have a quick look around the papers…

Rich_s

The one in the Sunday Times always seems to come up trumps. Question of Money I think the column is.

I think you’ve got to exhaust the company’s procedures before you go to the ombudsman & if they’ve admitted their mishtake you won’t have a problem getting money back/compo/bunch of flowers/etc anyway.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Follow the bank’s complaints procedure first, and to the letter. Keep copies of all correspondence. When you’ve exhausted this, or you’re not happy with the final outcome, then go to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will not be interested if you’ve not followed the correct procedure first.

billyboy
    Free Member

Barclays twice lost £30,000 on transfers of money for my father at a time when he was not well. They are scum.

Ombudsmen and most other avenues of complaint are a sop to peasants like us to make us think there is some kind of remedy available. In actual fact the ombudsman is in the same Masonic lodge as the Barclays editedand will ensure that after much seeming effort…nothing is done.

Take them to court. Or take similar positive action. Put it out there. Smear their name with their own truth. They are edited, make sure it sticks to them.

[post edited due to unacceptable language. 2 Day ban. Mod.]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Barclays are the scum of the earth if they whiff any sign of weakness or illness or bereavement in their customers.

Sometimes they do double take if you stand up for yourself.

If you’re going to war with them – go for it.

I hope that doesnt get me a ban on here?

Jolsa

Thanks all for the comments, billyboy – totally understand your feelings, sorry that got you a 2 day ban!

This thread is energy for the fight, Barclay’s complaints procedure > Ombudsman/Question of Money at Sunday Times, and as much negative PR as I can generate in the meantime.

Macavity
    Free Member

Keep a record of all the phone calls (times dates etc), conversations in person, letters and Emails to your bank; you will need this for your complaint to the FSA.
    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/if_things_go_wrong/index.shtml

Program on the radio like Moneybox are worth contacting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/891726.stm

-m-
    Free Member

May be worth considering if you also have a case under the Data Protection Act (whereby Barclays has a responsibility to ensure that information is accurate and up-to-date, secure etc). You could start a complaint with the Information Comissioner’s Office in parallel with dealing with the Financial Ombudsman. You wouldn’t necessarily get anything out of it, and the ICO is far from speedy, but it would create more hoops for Barclays to jump through.

br
    Free Member

Remember, they employ people who’s sole job is the ‘swat’ these kinda complaints away.

Before you light the touch-paper, go (with whoever is the authorised person on the account) and book a meeting with the Manager/Supervisor (but better to get an Area person) etc at your local branch. Lay out the issue; let them tell you how they will solve it.

(Any) compensation comes after the problem is solved, don’t mix these two up.

hels
    Free Member

Also, can I advise that you make sure your mum has her facts 100% right first, sorry not trying to be insulting or anything, but when you go battling for other people it can all go horribly wrong if something has been mis-communicated. Sounds like it has been a stressful time.

Deep breath and thorough investigation first…

Jolsa

Thanks, good information here. No problem hels, my Mum’s kept a record of all dealings so far with names etc.

Data protection act is a good shout, given that they’ve lost important documents (twice actually!), before ultimately losing the money somewhere ‘in the system’.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Just go tothe ombudsman, or write to the broadhseets.”

If you go straight to the ombudsman you are waisting your time, they will not listen to your complaint until you have exhausted Barclays internal complaints procdure.

Ring Barclays, ask them for a copy of their complaints procedure, which usually is to a register a complaint first in writing/email. It used to be that there were 3 stages of complaint ie they have 3 attempts at responding to you before it can go to the ombudsman.

So find out who you need to write to, write to them writing clearly and concisely what has happened with as many facts as possible, how you expect it to be resolved, plus any compensation you are seeking. Point out also that you are following their complaints procedure. be calm and do not get rude, that just gets peoples backs up. The first response will probably from a fairly junior complaints team member which could well resolve your query. However if it doesnt, remain polite and write back again stating what is still wrong etc. 2nd time round you will get past to more senior people who will do alot more investigation/take more care in the investigation (and should hopefully give you their name and contact number)

They have to write back to you within x days confirming the timescale that the complaint will be deal within. It is only if 1. they fail to get back to you within the agreed timescale that you can go to ombudsman or 2. after you have exhausted there internal complaints that you can go to ombudsman.

Not many cases overall get to ombudsman as it cost the co alot of time and money!

I used to deal with FSA complaints for a large bank (although it was approx 10 years ago!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Going to war with a bank – advice please’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM