Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Going to see once great artists that are "past it"?
  • edlong
    Free Member

So, I’m in my forties and inevitably if I go to a gig, there’s a better than even chance it will be a “heritage act” rather than tomorrow’s breaking band.

But after one too many experiences of seeing an act that were doubtless magnificent in their prime, but were old and knackered by the time I caught them, I had a bit of a word with myself and try and avoid seeing acts that are only going to disappoint.

So who are your “bet they were good in 1974, but not so much now?” acts (Deep Purple), or who are your “nearly dead but still better than the younger band they’re supporting” ones (James Brown, supporting the Red Hot Chilli Peppers)?

And crucially (and the reason I’ve been prompted to post this today) help me out with a decision please: George Clinton’s playing locally next week, and tickets are still available – Yay or Nay?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I saw one of the last gigs Oasis did, they (well Liam) where really terrible. Personally I think a band on its last legs is worse than seeing an outfit back together after a long break.

ratherbeintobago

I went to see the post reformation Bunnymen.

They weren’t great.

On the other hand MBV were amazing though I did think my fillings were going to shake loose.

oldfart

We’re going to see Brian Wilson performing Pet Sounds at Glastonbury Abbey in August !!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I too saw oasis near the end, shocking with Liam frequently gobbing off at noel durung the gig, thankfully I also saw them near the start.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d go and see George Clinton as it was never really about his voice and he’s a big enough draw that he can still attract quality musicians to play in the band. It’s the band that make it funky in his case.

Watched the iplayer clip of Blondie doing Call Me on Jools Holland. That started off really well, I was thinking the band were pretty good then Debbie Harry started singing and the magic shattered she’s just not go the voice for that type of song anymore.

Cougar

First that jumps to mind here is Paul Young. I had the misfortune to catch him on one of those 80s throwback tours a couple of years ago and he was bloody dreadful, he was all over the place. I was reliably informed (by one of the other acts on the bill) that there’s a direct correlation between his performance and what he’s recently stuck up his nose. Er, allegedly.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

oldfart – Member
    We’re going to see Brian Wilson performing Pet Sounds at Glastonbury Abbey in August !!!!

Oh dear, sorry to hear that! We saw him at Glasto Festival a few years ago 🙁

Motorhead were my big disappointment, Lemmy might as well have not been there. 🙁

Cougar

In related news, I had a shock yesterday. I had a music channel on on TV and they played “Hey Mickey.” I thought, I wonder whatever happened to Toni Basil, and had a Google.

It transpires… she’s 73. 😯 Born in 1943, would’ve been 39 when she was bounding around like a schoolgirl in that video. Jaysus.

Cougar

Whitesnake.

I saw them at Donington ’90, thought “can Coverdale still do it?” and yes he can, hit all the high notes, tore the bloody roof* off.

Saw them again double-headlining with Def Leppard a couple of years ago, thought “can Coverdale still do it?” and no, no he can’t, his voice is knackered and the rest of the band carried him vocally through most of the set. Shame.

(* – or would have done if it wasn’t an open-air festival.)

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m hoping Guns’n’Roses aren’t about to join this list, as I’m going to see then next month in London.

I saw them a couple of times in the early 90’s – the gig at Wembley might have been the best gig I ever went to.

Cougar

I’m hoping Guns’n’Roses aren’t about to join this list, as I’m going to see then next month in London.

I have no doubts they’ll be good, my biggest concern would be whether they’d bother to turn up.

funkmasterp

Guns n roses joined the list a long, long time ago. The last time I saw Axl Rose he looked, sounded and danced like a real life version of Eric Cartman.

PJ always surprise me live. You can tell touring is in their blood, just seem to get better with age and Vedder’s voice is still great.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well then, I went to see Heaven 17 BITD and thought they were the best of the UK’s SynthPop.. then I went to see them a couple of years ago in Brighton and they were chuffing brilliant !!
    Here’s a YouTube vid from 2010..
    [video]https://youtu.be/L5MS0kvF0mY[/video]

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Yup…. I and the other 5 billion people who watched Paul McCartney at the London 2012 Olympic Ceremony can relate to this thread….

He was bloody awful.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I saw James Brown supporting the RHCP, it was a great act, but JB’s input was limited to the odd “oooh” and “yeah” and the occasional chorus. It was a lot of shizzle and little steak. Meat Loaf is doing the odd residency in Vegas at the moment, same sort of thing, big band, great backing singers and razzmatazz but Meat’s input it limited, so he talks to the audience and even tells the odd joke.

Saw Davie Bowie a few years ago, simply magnificent, just perfect.

Happy Monday we’re crap, like a bunch of drunks having a crack at karaoke.

Saw Velvet Revolver they can play live, and they did a GnR song but I forget which.

Rolling Stones are a polished act, Mick seems to have boundless energy and its a great night out.

Van Morrison seemed sad and unhappy to be there, his voice was gone, that was 15 years ago, is he still with us?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac 3 times in the last 25 years – yeah how cool am I – I was worried when they toured a couple of years ago but I have to say they were brilliant

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

To add some balance I also saw an early Oasis when they supported the Milltown Brothers (who?)

ulysse
    Free Member

Blondie was *kin awesome at the Liverpool O2 arena in 2013, last time we got on a guest list freebie under our own names too, Mrs was tubbed with number 3 at the time.
    Anyhoo, I was playing union city blue ‘tother day, and number 3 perks up, “louder daddy, up, UP UP” I can only assume she could remember hearing it in utero! 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

After seeing axl stand in for acdc I would suggest g n r will be phenomenal. Absolutely gutted I couldn’t get tickets as I saw them at the old Wembley back in t day.

edlong
    Free Member

G’n’R are also in my “would I? wouldn’t I?” list, never got to see them back in the day, but based purely on youtube the difference between live at the ritz era and present day makes me worry that, even if they were brilliant, I’d be looking at Fat Axl wishing it was 1986 again.

jerrys
    Free Member

I second Whitesnake for being well past it.

Donnington 1981 (Monster’s of Rock) support to AC/DC – really good.

Bournemouth BIC a couple of years ago – awful.

Whereas UFO are still as good today (IMHO) as they were the first time I saw them in ’81.

stuey
    Free Member

I’m still hoping Joe Cocker will do one last tour.

doris5000

the undertones, 10 years ago: crap

Iron maiden, 2 or 3 years ago: amazing

doris5000

oh, and:

Chas & Dave, about 10 years ago: the novelty wears off after about 3 songs

thomthumb
    Free Member

saw the prodigy headline reading 2002 – one of the best things i’ve ever seen.
    saw the prodigy headline bestival 2010 – the magic was gone 🙁

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

ZOMFG Slash is back in GNR – why did I not know this? Shame Axl sings like a waterboarded cat now. Slash has still got it though – tbh, I’d rather just see Slash playing – **** Axl – GNR’s sound comes from Slash.

brakes
    Free Member

did you see Blondie on Jools last night?
    give up please.

winston
    Free Member

Clinton – Yes, he is a proper musician and they age well
    GNR – No, that ship sailed in 1991

Paul Young – Never at anytime

greentricky
    Free Member

I also sore Axl standing in as part of AC/DC last summer and thought he was pretty decent, would def go to guns and roses

cinnamon_girl

Whitesnake.

I saw them at Donington ’90, thought “can Coverdale still do it?” and yes he can, hit all the high notes, tore the bloody roof* off.

@ Cougar – I’d seen David Coverdale first time round, he’d replaced the brilliant Ian Gillan in Deep Purple. Saw Deep Purple, with Ian Gillan, in the 2000’s and the truth is you can’t go back. Still love Deep Purple though!

Cougar

Good gravy.

Donington 90 was my first ever ‘proper’ gig (as opposed to pub bands).

kayak23

Saw Lee Scratch Perry a few years back.

He just seemed like a mental old man utterly off his tits.

So no change there then… 😀

I’m currently pondering whether to bother seeing Ride..

cinnamon_girl

Van Morrison seemed sad and unhappy to be there, his voice was gone, that was 15 years ago, is he still with us?

Yes he is P-Jay, he’s a curmudgeon but was in his prime in 1974 when I saw him. He’s written some terrific songs over the years.

Edit: some great youtube vids.

CountZero

edlong – Member
    So, I’m in my forties and inevitably if I go to a gig, there’s a better than even chance it will be a “heritage act” rather than tomorrow’s breaking band.

I’m in my 60’s, and when I go to a gig there’s a better than evens chance it’ll be a ‘breaking’ band or artist, or if not a band that still have what it takes, like Lush and Belly last year, both bands having broken up twenty years ago, and both utterly brilliant, especially Belly, the exuberance and joy from performing was so apparent on stage, and it was being given back by the audience. What wasn’t apparent at the time was Gail the bass player was undergoing cancer treatment while touring!
    I saw Ian Anderson’s Jethro Tull at the IoW Festival a couple of years ago, and I couldn’t believe just how good they were, I saw them once before on the Thick As A Brick Tour, the same with James, who I’d never seen before, and Blur, who blew me away, Albarn didn’t stop for a second, and getting Phil Daniels on to do Park Life really set the place alight.
    Fleetwof Mac were excellent too, I saw them once before, years ago, when Buckingham had left and they had two other guitarists in, but this was the classic lineup, and they did not disappoint!
    Even Counting Crows were better than I was expecting, having never seen them live.

lister

I’ve seen Bob Mould 6 times since the mid 90s. His playing, singing, band choice and set list has got better and better each time.
    An artist who is maturing with age but not diluting his rage and passion when he plays.

Sadly The Charlatans are not doing the same. Too many so so albums in the last few years with a couple of vaguely good songs on each and an awful lot of forgettable fluff. They have a new album out soon and will probably tour in the autumn, it’ll give them one more chance and keep my fingers crossed.

Happy Mondays were amazing last time I saw them. Proper funky, even Mr Ryder!

novaswift
    Free Member

Went to my first gig when I was 14 and still love seeing bands both new and old.
    Seen Rush a couple of years ago and although Geddy was struggling a little with the vocals the musicianship was amazing. The aforementioned UFO are still brilliant live . They’ve survived the days of the drug haze and are probably better musicians than ever. Except Pete Way obviously!
    David Coverdale and Whitesnake should have quit years ago.

disco_stu
    Free Member

In related news, I had a shock yesterday. I had a music channel on on TV and they played “Hey Mickey.” I thought, I wonder whatever happened to Toni Basil, and had a Google.

It transpires… she’s 73. Born in 1943, would’ve been 39 when she was bounding around like a schoolgirl in that video. Jaysus.

Toni Basil showing off some dances moves at the age of 72!

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Mary Chain these days- not good. Ride – very good last year. MBV – always stunning. Dinosaur Jr- better live now than in the 90s in my opinion. Thurston Moore band- always worth a ticket. After those lot I’d rather watch new or newish bands.

ulysse
    Free Member

Hawkwind. Ftw

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Going to see once great artists that are "past it"?’ is closed to new replies.