• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Go on then, last one: what's York like?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Not as flat as Oxford or Cambridge, but what else?

sandwicheater

Only ever been for a day out. I had some fish for lunch. It was nice (the fish, York was OK).

pirahna
    Free Member

It’s in the North, so will be inferior to Cambridge.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Lovely.

Oxford and Cambridge are nice enough, but York is lovely. Still very flat, though.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I lived there for a year and liked it , apart from the constant influx of toursits making it hard to get around sometimes [ and the constant smell of chocolate ] .its a friendly enough place, plenty of good pubs and eateries and theatres .It is a river basin so very flat but some pleasant countryside away from the town centre

fasthaggis

Saturday nights in York 😉

ElShalimo

Frequently floods, so does Oxford
    Look on EA website for flood zones in all 3 towns. It may not happen often but it’s a very real threat

bigyim
    Free Member

I really like the place. They have a good ww1 exhibition on too or they did a few weeks ago

tinribz
    Free Member

Just moved here, nice atmosphere, always something going on. Rush hour traffic chocca but cycle routes are fantastic. Sutton bank or Dalby not that far. Never ending tourists make it recession proof.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We moved there when we moved to the UK. A great place IMHO.

Some cracking bike shops too.. Cycleworks being the best IMHO.
    Sadly, I no longer live there…
    But yeah, the riding is great too.

johndoh
    Free Member

And some great bars / pubs.

igm

And the correct way to get around is on a £45 pub bike.

Loads of bikes, plenty of traffic free / low traffic routes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Was brought up there. Wouldn’t move back.

+
    Its nice and pretty.
    Some nice houses.
    Good for cycling around.
    Its now 50 miles away from our parents.

The centre is like one massive tourist attraction. Leeds is a lot better if you want to go shopping.
    Rush hour is 3 hours of complete gridlock at the start and end of each day.
    Public transport is expensive and crap unless you’re using the P&R.
    45 minutes drive from decent off-road riding. Whats that all about?
    The river has a tendancy to gobble up areas of housing each winter.
    As soon as you’re outside the Bar Walls, its just like anywhere else in the country – miles upon miles of mindlessly built housing estates.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s got some museums, including a quite large one with trains in.

45 minutes drive from decent off-road riding. Whats that all about?

I’m not sure it would take 45 minutes to drive from York to the Southern end of the NY Moors. Or are you just talking about Dalby?

allthepies
    Free Member

Spent 3 years at Uni there back in the ’80s.

Haven’t been back since.

luffy105
    Free Member

Speaking from a hotel in York having just got in from a night of cocktail making masterclass / company do it’s great! 🙂
    Coupled with the fact that the hotel (Middletons) is connected to the York Core gigabit fibre network I can safely say York is awesome tonight and I’m loving it

chestrockwell

Got friends in York and I always enjoy a visit. Friendly, pleasent place on the whole and defo somewhere I’d look if moving over that way.

Most of the people I know there went to Uni together and either never left or moved away and came back so I guess that’s a recommendation.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times as a tourist, and from that perspective it’s similar to Oxford, Cambridge and Bath, but with a bit more to do I’d say. The railway meuseum is excellent, even if you’re not into that type of thing. Even the wife enjoyed it. The Minster is impressive, the kids will like the Jorvic Viking Centre. If you like to idly saunter then you can wander the Shambles or take a turn around the City walls. There is the usual array of nice independant cafe’s and restaraunts, and the usual chain stuff too, so you won’t go hungry. Nothing to not like really. It can be busy – well it’s a nice place so no shit Sherlock, and there are lots of stag dos and hen do’s, but which town or city doesn’t have those these days? Definitely worth a visit.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

We live in one of the villages outside York, and it’s great.

People are friendly and don’t jump out of their skins if you talk to them.
    The centre has an impressive number of good real ale pubs.
    Walmgate/Fossgate have a really good selection of quality eateries.
    You can easily avoid the hen and stag dos.

As for getting around, cycling and the Park and Ride work really well. Drivers on the whole are considerate, mainly due to the number of cyclists.
    Don’t know about the shopping as I do it all online, or send my wife (she is going anyway, and loves it!)

It’s in Yorkshire too, so all good 😀

wolly
    Free Member

I don’t live to far away perhaps 15 minutes drive, and its great lots to see/do night life is also great. doesn’t really feel like a city more a market town.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not sure it would take 45 minutes to drive from York to the Southern end of the NY Moors. Or are you just talking about Dalby?

You’re right. Make that closer to an hour once you’ve actually got out of York and negotiated the A64 and the tractors driving along the Pickering road.

Alternatively, you could heard towards Helmsley and sit behind tractors all the way.

York is a lovely place but I’ve grown apart from it now – it just doesn’t offer anything I’d want out of somewhere to live.

globalti
    Free Member

I took an overseas visitor to York last month and we used the new P&R from Askham bar – wow! Loads of space, affordable, well-planned and best of all, an electric bus! Very impressive apart from the Barbie colour scheme inside.

We also visited the Chocolate Experience which, unexpectedly, was excellent. The Minster is not as good as Salisbury Cathedral though, the roof tour isn’t worth the money.

We cycled through York on C2C this summer and the outskirts are hideous but the town centre nice. Very flat as you’d expect. And just NE of York you have the beautiful Wolds, an ignored but stunning area of England.

addy6402

I lived there for 3 years (left about 10 years ago) and still have fond memories. I’ve been back a few times since and always enjoy it, York has a nice balance of the old and new.

Riding wise – it is flat locally but the drive up to the rolling NYM or across to the edge of the YD (Nidderdale etc.) isn’t too bad.

chestrockwell

impressive number of good real ale pubs.

This is very true. Since my workmates and I are turning in to middle age/old gits the nights out on the piss have been replaced with days out drinking decent beer. York is the usual destination as there’s enough different places so you don’t get bored.

As for the stag and hen do’s, they tend to stick to the Micklegate end, which is fine if you want a laugh, but leaves the other side of the river for less OTT nights out. The nightlife is big enough to do one or the other.

wl
    Free Member

I lived there for years. It’s a beautiful city – like a northern Bath/Cambridge etc. Relatively affluent and a bit snobby, but also quite a lively atmosphere in a ‘safe’ studenty sort of way. Locals whinge about the tourists there, but I liked the international feel, plus the local economy would be shafted without them. Crap for mountain biking – nearest hills are 20ish miles away. Dalby’s pretty dull, unless trail centres are your thing. North York Moors has some ‘ok’ riding. Lakes around 2 hours away.

igm

Dales? 30-45 minutes depending how far in you go.
    Peaks/Pennines? 40-90minutes again depending were you go
    The Moors has some good stuff if you know where to look.

Road riding is excellent. Starts flat, but not difficult to find hills (not mountains obviously) or spend the day fighting head winds. Try the York-Sheffield TdF stage of you’re hard enough.

Pubs? excellent. Clubs? not so much.

Family facilities excellent. Off road cycle paths, family friendly eating, play parks, NRM.

3 hour traffic jams? On the north side possibly, but I live outside the ring road on the south side and can get to the station in 15-25 minutes. And if that fails, the park and ride system is excellent and the cycle network is almost as good as the road network.

Might not be my first choice of town if I were 25 and single. But I’m 43 with a family.

Love it.

mrjmt
    Free Member

And just NE of York you have the beautiful Wolds, an ignored but stunning area of England.

Ssshhhh. Nothing to see here….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Go on then, last one: what's York like?’ is closed to new replies.