Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Glowing envelope glue.….am I going mad?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Every time I open an envelope in a darkened room, I swear the glue glows as it’s peeled apart.
    Can someone else try this and report their findings so I know I’m not going bonkers?
    It must be a peel and seal, not a gummed one that needs licking.
    If true, does anyone know why it does it?

bigjim

won’t ask why you are doing that in a dark room, but yes that is what you are seeing. for a better show, try sellotape on a smooth surface, let your eyes adjust and strip it off quickly. Also if you have really static clothes, take them off when your eyes are adjusted.

Guessing it is a result of the electrostatic bonds in the glue being broken as your tear the bonded surfaces apart. Its been a long time since I did chemistry…

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve never seen so many long words in all my life.
    Shame because I thought it was magic and I was about to take my show on the road. “Choppersquad and his amazing glowing envelopes”. Would have been a millionaire.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It’s also supposed to happen if you break a Polo mint in a dark room, it glows 😯

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve never seen so many long words in all my life.

Sorry, but that’s science for you! I thought about writing my own explanation in shorter words, but wouldn’t have got it right without checking – it is a fairly well known thing.

The clothes is static electricity which is completely different.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Triboluminescence!

Its pretty amazing. You’re not imagining it. Aracer has it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’m off to buy some Polo’s now!

Cougar

You’re not imagining it. Aracer has it.

How do you know, have you seen him in the dark?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I remember the first time i chucked a pebble in the sea in the dark. is it just our local sea, or does everyone’s glow?

CountZero

How do you know, have you seen him in the dark?

No, it’s dark…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Glowing envelope glue.….am I going mad?’ is closed to new replies.