Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Glen Etive trails question?
  • DavidM
    Free Member

One for all the highland types. Would a route taking in both Lairig Eilde and Lairig Gartain over to the Glen Coe road and back be good? Are they nice/techy/fun trails? or just massive bogs?

Cheers for sharing

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I've ridden this circuit when it was frozen a couple of years back and it was pretty good in places.

The Lairig Gartain is a bit of a bog for most of the way so I wouldn't go near it unless it was well frozen or after a very dry spell. The descent from the high point towards Dalness has some nice riding, though it is a bit of a narrow trench in places. From the junction with the Lairig Eilde path you'll be pushing and carrying for much of the way up to the high point but it's worth it for the downhill back to Glencoe – it's a hoot! Make sure you spot the river crossing lower down or you'll end up with a poor finish, but if you cross the river you'll have a good path all the way to the car park. The return to the start point can mostly be done off the A82 by turning into the first lay-by and picking up the track which runs parallel to the road on the N side.

DavidM
    Free Member

Cheers Stuartie. IS there any highland trail you don't know? Tis impressive knowledge. Might do the Lairig Elide as an out and back from the Geln Coe side once all this snow has melted then. Can;t wait to get back uo there

stuartie_c
    Free Member

IS there any highland trail you don't know?

Lots! I have an ever-growing list of places to be explored…

😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stuartie to the rescue as ever….! What have you planned for this year, after the Transalp last year?.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

No big bike plans this year Greig other than some SXC races and a few enduros (3 10s, Kielder 100 etc.). Keen to get some alpine mountaineering done too.

Hopefully lots of exploring in Scotland as well.

chickenman

The Trilliachan Slabs above the head of Loch Etive are of course a must: Think Dalbeatie Slab but 200m long rather than 20m; 10deg steeper though :?plus the occasonal 2m drop-off!
    P.S. don't do this at home, I'm only kidding….!

DavidM
    Free Member

You mean these?

I could ride that….

Stuartie, if you find anything good…

13thfloormonk

I rode past those on my way too Glen Coe from Bonawe. Bet the climber's path to/from them is good fun!

chickenman

Yeah,a nice 5m drop-off on the path down from the slabs IIRC….Go for it DavidM: 8" travel downhill bikes segging it down the slabs will certainly brighten up your average Etive Slab climbers day…fair their minds off the 20m run-outs between gear!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Glen Etive trails question?’ is closed to new replies.